Bryce Golden - 2018 Forward (Signed)

Discussion in 'Current Butler Players' started by Jared Grubbs, Mar 29, 2015.

1. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,888
  2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $898
    So sounds like the family is down for a redshirt year, which is good. Gives him plenty of time to heal, get stronger, learn the system, make sure he's settled into the academic side of things, etc.

3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,207
    Thus the speculation should end.

4. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,572
    Yea, I mean looking forward having him get stronger, faster and acclimated, his game is what we want a mobile big with range to spread out. I may or may not have dreams of what he could be in his 5th year...I'm thinking Luke Maye esque... :) I can dream right?

BHayden likes this.
  5. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,335
    I'd be down for a Luke Maye

NCJon, estar20dawg and BHayden like this.
  6. BHayden

BHayden Well-Known Member

Money:
    $543
    Always thought Bryce looked small in pictures but just saw him in C Club and he’s HUGE. 6’8 may be underselling him and he’s as big as Wideman.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $167
    In the last two exhibition games, it was comical to see those 4 guys sitting the bench in khakis. It looked liked the A team was watching the B team play. All our size is sitting at the end of the bench for now.

BHayden likes this.
  8. BHayden

Money:
    $543
    Yeah I’d kill to have him and Nze for this year. Just makes next year even more exciting though!

9. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $167
    Bryce isn't out of the question for this year imo. Even with the mom's Instagram.

BHayden likes this.
  10. BHayden

Money:
    $543
    If he’s really out that long I’d rather him just miss the whole year. I’ll take 4 full years and a developmental year this year. He could be an absolute stud for 4 years.

11. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,186
    It probably depends on if the other bigs remain healthy. We would prefer not to use him, but after Brunk and Fowler we are pretty limited.

12. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,157
    247 Just added a Ranking History feature to their player tabs that allows you to see every ranking adjustment throughout a players profile.

Golden fascinates me because I had no idea he was once so highly regarded. He spent his entire Jr. Year ranked in the low 70's before falling in the rankings during his Sr. season. Not sure what the cause for such a steep decline, but this is a kid that scouts loved at one point. Was 54th overall in June following his Sophomore year.

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Bryce-Golden-at-St-James-School-185510/RecruitRankHistory/

Ironically was 79th overall the day he committed to Pitt, and the next update he dropped to 104th. A month later he had fallen to 171. That's the kind of decline that makes people feel like recruiting services stop following kids after they commit to certain schools. Not saying it's the case, but it's the perception.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Mad_Dawg 48, znelson15 and Tentozen like this.
  13. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,207
    One thing is for sure, coaches don't stop recruiting players just because they committed to a particular school.

14. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,988
    or maybe fans have a team/egocentric view that scouts are only supposed to follow their players and not scout other players to then compare and rank these similar players? I mean it's not like multiple scouts stopped watching Team Takeover, who ended up being the EYBL Peach Jam Champs w/ multiple high major prospects...

15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,924
    Agree, it could be there are more players in his class being evaluated if he was playing up early in his AAU. Don't know the back story. It's also semi-common for guys to drop once they commit to Butler for whatever reason lol.

16. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,157
    Again, I'm not saying it's the case, just pointing out the irony of the player declining so significantly immediately after he committed.

What I can tell you that I'm 100% sure about, as it came directly from a recruiting site guru, is that rankings drive clicks, and uncommitted players generate more clicks than committed players and certain schools drive more clicks than other schools. I was told directly that if two players are in the same "tier" and player A is uncommitted with interest from high traffic schools while player B is committed to a low traffic school, odds are player A will see his ranking surpass player B.

That's not to say players fall off the map completely because they are committed, but their status certainly influences rankings.

Aside from all of that, my point with Golden, is that he was once very highly regarded, which I didn't know, and I doubt others on this site had any idea either.

17. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,729
    I remember Brad telling me one time Matt Howard fell from a four star to a three star after he verbally committed to Butler. Rankings are very fickle, but going back to Golden his ceiling is very
    high.

HoosierDawg and bumba like this.
  18. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $555
    Rankings and recruiting makes no sense to me after the David Caraher fiasco. Looking at his HS highlights he looked like a solid high major player. Then something happened which no one has yet explained and he ends up at Houston Baptist. 350 div 1 schools basically said no to him.

Then, unsurprisingly, he dominates his freshman year and is able to transfer to pretty much wherever he wants.

Starting to think the best approach is to get guys who fit your system and thats it

19. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,836
    Probably more to the story on why not many were looking at him in HS after Butler cut ties.

20. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,303
    Agree with you. Except for the usual 3 or 4 obvious superstars each year - the rest of the rankings are just gibberish.... pick the quality students who fit your program and go.