Bulldogs In NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by KB3, May 2, 2017.

1. KB3

KB3 Member VIP Member

Money:
    $64
    I can't believe this conversation doesn't exist already. Brad Stevens and the Celtics just won to go up 2-0 in the 2nd round of the NBA playoffs. Hayward and the Jazz are starting their series on the road against the Warriors on TNT right now.

2. Tentozen

Tentozen New Member

Money:
    $39
    And Shelvin.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $11,776
    I've watched the NBA more the past few weeks than I have since the Derrick Rose injury. It's just reminded me how much I despise NBA basketball. Everyone complains about NCAA officials, but I would take the way the college game is officiated over the NBA any day of the week.

4. Staxawax

Staxawax Active Member

Money:
    $9,343
    Sorry I have to disagree. I've seen atrocious officiating in NCAA play. Pro refs are officiating the elite of the elite, and other than being very liberal on traveling and picks, they at least consistent.

Tentozen and Hinkle like this.
  5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,199
    They indeed are consistent in not calling picks and traveling.

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,146
    Out of curiosity, what is it about NBA basketball that you dislike so much?

I dislike the format - 82 games and 7 games series is too much to make any one game all that interesting. But the players themselves are just incredible and the games that are meaningful (which is admittedly a really small number) are about as entertaining as sports get IMO.

fdr, BHayden and Tentozen like this.
  7. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $7,199
    Agree with you Hinkle. The three or four games that have been entertaining so far in the playoffs have been phenomenal. The talent is superb. But like pro baseball the regular season is way way too long and the individual games can be tiring to watch. But I can see certain fans being attracted to watching their favorite teams no matter what.

BHayden likes this.
  8. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,696
    Gordon Hayward did not make an All NBA Team today. This means that the Jazz cannot offer him a super max contract, thus all other teams can offer him the same amount of money as the Jazz... Gordon is a Free Agent this summer. The C's have cap space and have a pick swap w the Nets which got them the #1 pick in the 2017 Draft. So far it appears LeBron James will play next season in the Eastern Conference... Discuss:

9. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $1,696
    I'll give my opinion on what the C's should do later...

10. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $7,199
    The Celtics desperately need rebounding and a big.

11. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $714
    Hayward shouldn't go to the Celtics...

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,146
    https://theringer.com/2017-all-nba-team-gordon-hayward-paul-george-lebron-james-harden-5879bd6f7445

The Pacers probably can't keep Paul George. The Jazz are going to have a hard time keeping Hayward because they now can't really pay him any more than anyone else.

The conventional wisdom seems to be that Hayward could be wooed by the Celtics. And that may be right. You've got Boston and Brad and a team that's near championship caliber.

But I think Hayward to the Pacers is an underrated possibility, especially if we assume the Pacers trade PG this summer, as they should.

As an aside, Hayward could make 340 million dollars over the next 8 years, and he's already made, what, 60? A return to the Pacers would probably be a good thing for Butler...

13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $7,199
    340 million over 8 years! That's over $300,000 per game or $8,000 a minute! Better not take a play off or sit out a game to rest.

14. Staxawax

Staxawax Active Member

Money:
    $9,343
    PG has no trade value as he's on the last year of his contract. Pacers need to dig in to Simon's pockets and get GH. It won't make them a championship contender but at least relevant.

15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,146
    Certainly less trade value, but there's still a lot of value there. If Boston gets him for this season, their odds of signing him long term are wayyyyyyy higher than if they wait around for him to hit the open market next season. He'll have a year's worth of rapport with the players/Brad/the city/fans. Same with the lakers. If they get him this year, he's probably there for life. If not? Maybe not.

16. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator

Money:
    $176
    The real question in Gordon's free agency is where is Hayward's twin sister is at right now. ;)

As I've said in another thread, I would strongly advise Hayward against coming to the Pacers. Paul George is a great player, but there are two problems on the court that don't exist in either Boston or Utah. First, George doesn't want to play Power Forward. Period. But it's also not Hayward's natural position either and basically neither one of them played in that position at all last year. So then do you try moving Hayward to shooting guard? That's not really a good position for him either, especially defensively. The second problem is that Nate McMillan just isn't the coach that Stevens or Snyder are. Not that the coaches are even close to the value of the players in the NBA, but if Hayward is looking to relocate and it's down between Boston and Indiana, which roster and coaching staff is built for more success, both now and into the future?

It's also widely assumed that George wants to get the H out of Indiana. Maybe that's not true, but based on his comments during the season I have a tough time thinking that isn't the case. So if you're a team that wants Paul George, why wouldn't you wait it out? It won't cost you any assets to get him, and you can't exceed the cap or give him an extra year or salary incentives in free agency even if you do trade for him before this year, so I disagree that he still has a lot of trade value. All just my opinion though.

17. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $1,696
    Maybe you trade for Paul George bc you want to build your team around him rather than giving a 5'7" PG who actually plays like a 2 guard a max contract bc his $6MM contract is up after next season? Or you trade for Paul George bc there's more than one team in LA? Or you trade for Paul George bc your window for winning a championship is closing? Or maybe you trade for Paul George bc you need someone who cannot only guard LeBron, but also make LeBron guard him? Or you trade for Paul George bc you have a bunch of young, unproven players on a losing team and you need a marquee piece to convince other, future free agents to sign with your team? What if Paul George isn't traded next season and makes an All NBA Team, you think he's going to turn down $70MM to go to LA? Just some thoughts as to why a team might want to trade for Paul George...

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  18. nicklas_early

nicklas_early New Member

Money:
    $21
    Watching the Cavs/Celts game in a hotel so I couldn't rewind and take a picture but TNT was showing Brad in the locker room talking during halftime. Pretty sure ole' Alex Barlow was right behind him. I just thought it was pretty neat.