Butler Basketball Season Tickets on Sale

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by SpartanDawgs, Apr 17, 2019.

1. GO_DAWGS!

GO_DAWGS! Active Member

Money:
    $86
    What’s with the homosexual references? Not a millennial, live in my own house, have my own family and pay for the tickets. I’ll try and make 100% positive comments from now on so as not to offend your delicate sensitivities in regards to game day experience pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

NCJon and Hinkle like this.
  2. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,301
    You might have better luck with Grindr. Don't limit yourself.

CarlosDanger likes this.
  3. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,189
    I hear you, Ghostryder—but not sure what the answer is here. Long time season ticket holders do accrue priority points. And those points don’t lose value unlike the donation points that eventually cycle out. The money to support coaching salaries and all that a BE program requires has to come from somewhere and tickets (and the accompanying donations to secure them) are an obvious source.

godogs91 and BoyGeoff like this.
  4. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,307
    Hey hank how bout you calm down and quit being annoying

5. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $144
    BUcheer, my answer will exhibit a complete lack of business sense with respect to fundraising, but so be it.

For me, you give the long time fans first crack at keeping their seats at whatever the going rate is. If they want to pay the new rate, they keep their seats. You’ve at least made a good faith effort to respect those people.

You put the big money donors first in line for the seat selection.

6. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $740
    Grinder is a social network app for the LGTBQ community. I have some friends that use it so I'm aware of it's popularity for this group. Now I also renewed my season tickets and can't wait for the season to start.

Go Dawgs!

7. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,508
    The emphasis above is mine. I can understand your lament, but the reality is that Butler now plays high-major basketball and is rightfully starting to charge high-major prices. However, even with the price increases, the experience at Hinkle is still an incredible value compared to other sporting events, including those at similar institutions. I can nearly guarantee that every other top ~30 program in college basketball (and many more big state schools that aren't consistently good) charge significantly more per ticket. A quick look at Xavier's website revealed that I would be paying about 50% more for the same seats I have at Hinkle, including the cost of my annual donation; it doesn't look like they have a priority system but there are per seat "premiums." Similar seats at Marquette would be about 30% more. Villanova uses a priority system but I couldn't find any pricing info. Rest assured that season ticket packages at blue blood programs are even more expensive. We as fans have very high expectations for the program and have consistently demanded that Barry pay our coaches more, upgrade the facilities, etc. For better or worse, rising ticket prices is an obvious step in the logical progression of a competitive program.

I agree that the west gym "experience" kind of sucks and I've made similar comments in the past, but in fairness to Butler, we aren't paying money for access to crappy popcorn and diet pepsi. That money is donated for more priority points and better seating. Donations shouldn't hedge on what you're getting from the west gym.

It should seem pretty obvious that Butler games aren't a "neighborhood" event any more. They play in a top conference with a schedule to match. You can't expect to watch a premium product at a discount price.

I have ~350 points and am sitting in the lower part of 117 with two tickets. I sat in the same section last year, albeit a few rows higher, with a similar number of points. Someone must really enjoy sitting in the seats your specified if they are paying a premium to sit higher up.

I'm sure you are a fine person and I'm really not trying to pile on you, but *six* season tickets to a premium sporting event is going to be expensive. Period. Unless you are sitting in the nosebleeds, that's going to run you $10k minimum at nearly any place.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  8. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $455
    This conversation reminds me of folks suggesting all of the things government should do for us – but they better not increase my taxes!

We need to act like a high major program. We need Big East budget not a Horizon League budget. We need to pay our coach and assistants more. We need a better and a dedicated practice facility. We need more recruiting budget. Etc Etc ad nauseum.

The administration is taking baby steps to improve the budget and everybody freaks out.

bmradio99, Tentozen, godogs91 and 7 others like this.
  9. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,431
    Every year. Every. Single. Year.

godogs91 likes this.
  10. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $442
    Where ya sitting this year?

11. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,596
    It would appear ticket sales are down along with donations?

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    They didn't take seats out of Hinkle, and I heard they're giving fewer behind-the-visitor-bench seats this year to opposing teams. If you moved up 75 priority spots, which is probably something like 150-300 seats sooner, and your preferred seats aren't available, that has 1000% nothing to do with Butler giving you fewer options/worse seats and everything to do with people this year deciding they like your preferred spot too.

You can't get mad at Butler because seat preferences change.

godogs91 likes this.
  13. knobcreekfan

Money:
    $455
    If only I could have these seat selection problems. I live pretty far from Indy and can only get to Hinkle once every 3-4 years.

The people complaining have no idea how good they have it. I go to a lot of sporting events out here. None of them come close to Hinkle. There is a reason Hinkle shows up in the top 10 lists for college basketball venues. It is not because the popcorn in the West Gym or the price of the hot dogs.

Donate your money. Buy your seats. Have a great time in a wonderful environment cheering on a great program. Appreciate how lucky you are to have the option to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerNut, MBA2003, Shimmy and 7 others like this.
  14. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $442
    There is no doubt that Butler is moving in the right direction... In order to be competitive, they must have these changes. We can all agree there. But I have first hand experience in Power 5 Donations/Priority Points/Incentives and let me just tell you that Butler isn't perfect. I think everyone here is fine with the increasing prices and donation levels, but how they are doing it and some incentives they are giving could be fixed. That is the point. Why don't let season ticket holders complain about some of these incentives because we are donating more and giving Hinkle more revenue with our season tickets than most of you who sit on the couch upset that you can't watch a home game because it's on some random fox sports network.

15. knobcreekfan

Money:
    $455
    Who says you are donating more?

16. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $442
    I said most. I don’t like to assume how much money random people donate to butler athletics on the internet but in general I would say people with season tickets generally donate more to the athletic department than people who do not have season tickets because of the priority points. Would that be a false statement?

17. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,189
    I’m sure it’s not perfect, and am curious what you think could be fixed?

18. knobcreekfan

Money:
    $455
    I don’t know if that is a false statement. That would require facts to determine. Or you could just make assumptions like you said you did not want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $442
    Its basic economics. You haven't mentioned anything about me being wrong.

20. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $442
    IMO, I thought the pricing seat allocation adjustments was not handled correctly. What makes row 3 section 200's worth $100 more a tix compared to row 4 section 200's when Row 4 and Row 5 are the same price? The way they allocated the pricing just rubbed me the wrong way because you should reward the higher priority points the better seats in their section and not charge them more. Just wanted same pricing per section not by row. Even if that means increasing the price for the entire section. Also the cheap food and beer was not allowed outside the west gym, which is ridiculous. Fortunately, I found out at my select a seat that they are going change that this year. This will be an actual benefit that donors can enjoy. Plus it looks like they are going to put more tables in there for people to sit. They went from increasing the price of the west gym to make it less crowded but now they're having seating issues and food disbursement issues. Its all a learning curve... And they are making adjustments so that is a good sign.

Another thing is donations priority points go away after what? 5 to 10 years? I wish all donations stayed even if 100 10 years ago would be worth .1 points instead of 10pts. Also feel bad for the life long season ticket holders that weren't able to get all the seat priority points at the year cutoff.

Also homecoming parking passes. Charging more for a single game homecoming parking pass than a whole season football parking pass is highway robbery. Mind as well buy the whole season football parking pass and save a few bucks. Then each year they are pushing back the single parking passes more towards AV ruining the experience for some fans.

Capitalism but I also ordered some custom furniture with the Bulldog logo and I had to pay an extra $200 for a single use Art design custom fee. Then Butler went behind my back and now sell the product at the bookstore because I introduced them to the company. Which is fine, but wish I got my $200 back :)

Again, its all a learning curve for them, they are getting to a bigger stage. They are making adjustments as we go. I am not the biggest complainer in this because I know they're learning as they go but doesn't mean that others and I can't complain about it!

BU_NeonHat and GO_DAWGS! like this.