Butler Basketball Season Tickets on Sale

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by SpartanDawgs, Apr 17, 2019.

1. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,300
    What company?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. Butlerfan96

Butlerfan96 Member

Money:
    $106
    I’ll be in the crows nest this year! First time hope they are good

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

TheDawgDub95 and SpartanDawgs like this.
  3. Ster8462

Ster8462 Member

Money:
    $192
    I got my tickets today and am in the Crows Nest again this year but moved to the front row and Bulldogs260 welcome to the Crows Nest. Last year was my first year and loved the seats

4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,229
    Nice! The old press box.

5. GO_DAWGS!

GO_DAWGS! Active Member

Money:
    $86

I can't get mad at them, but surely you'll allow me to be disappointed that upping my donation, having my per seat price raised $200+ over the last 6-7 years, and moving up 75 spots in the picking order resulted in me getting worse seats than the year before no? And that likely the raising of select seat prices and big increase donation levels to get points elsewhere have contributed to my issue?

6. GO_DAWGS!

GO_DAWGS! Active Member

Money:
    $86
    I truly never thought that my post would elicit such personal responses of annoyance at me for being disappointed and sharing it to see if others felt the same. Look, as I said, these are first world problems and complaints, and I couldn't feel more lucky to have been able to do this with my wife, kids and parents over the years, but it's because of how much we've enjoyed our particular game day experience (seats, west gym, etc) that it just bums me out that it will likely need to end soon, at least how it has been, and my last select-a-seat was my first disappointing experience to that end. My individual seats have gone up $200+ per seat in the last 6-7 years, West gym has gone up 400%, and while I absolutely understand the economics of supporting a big conference basketball team, it still stings and is disappointing. To the person that was quoting other team prices in the Big East, there are teams that go the other way as well....Creighton and Seton Hall for example seem to have only one season ticket level that is more expensive than mine, and it's basically court side, but for me that is a bit beside the point. Each school is different, in different areas, with different histories, and different communities they need to draw folks from. My comments about "neighborhood feel" had nothing to do with the level of play or conference as someone insinuated, but more the feel of the Hinkle game day experience. I grew up going to Hinkle as I lived nearby (beating IU at Hinkle in 93 was sweet!) , and it's always had a family/neighborhood feel. The school intentionally cultivated that image to go along with the classic fieldhouse and found a great niche in the market. I get that we've moved up twice in conference level, theoretically in game play, and that the financials of keeping up with a 'Nova who is in a major US city, with years of big conference experience, 4 titles, etc are daunting. That all said, if because of it all, Hinkle becomes what so many other sports experiences have become.....a place where most families are priced out, and more and more season tickets go to corporations, or just those few that can afford them, it's just going to change that feel/experience and that's not a thought I like.

fdr, NCJon and SpartanDawgs like this.
  7. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,307
    Maybe if everyone talks about how awful their section is, you'll convince others not to sit there and increase your chances of moving up

8. GO_DAWGS!

GO_DAWGS! Active Member

Money:
    $86
    Irony being I have no desire to move up, just wanted to stay the same.

BU_NeonHat likes this.
  9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,155
    If you have moved up in the priority points list, but you can't get your seats, the increased donation levels have nothing to do with it... I assume you do realize that if you move up, there are fewer people selecting in front of you? So if you can't get your seats despite having fewer seats taken when you select, it's simply a matter of changed preferences among the season ticket holders? Again, this would have nothing to do with the university changing the way it charges for seats and nothing to do with higher donation levels.

(Unless by "moving up" you mean moving back (i.e., a worse spot in the picking order; e.g., moving from 500 to 575. I've assume you mean "move up" as in you have gotten a better spot in the picking order - e.g., 500 to 425).)

SpartanDawgs and UDDawg like this.
  10. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $479
    There is a lot of truth into this but Butler is also changing the seat preferences due to charging extra for the first 3 rows in each section and other sections in general... aka this tells you that there our higher donating season ticket holders that are getting sick of paying the outrageous price increase for their old seats and would rather pay less and sit higher up in an aisle seat. So there is a correlation there to an extent.

Hinkle likes this.
  11. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,307
    Is it the first 3 rows now? I thought it was just the first row that was extra, or at least that's what (I think) I remember being told for my '18-'19 seats in the 200 level

12. Ster8462

Ster8462 Member

Money:
    $192
    Behind the basket in the 200 sections the first row is a lot more, rows 2-4 are more than rows 5 on up. Two years ago it was only the first 3 rows and 4 on up were the same price. 4th Row you couldn’t see the baseline when I sat there 2 years ago and I knew 5th Row would be worse last year when they included Row 4 in the upcharge so I moved out of my seats last year to the Crows Nest.

Theprez4 likes this.
  13. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $479
    Maybe at the ends but the sideline and middle section is the first 3 rows for sure. I sat in row 3 before they did the row price change.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

14. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,540
    I guess I'm struggling to envision a situation where bigger donors (likely donating at least 1-2k/year) are turned off by paying a relatively modest price increase in their season tickets that pales in comparison to their donation. Maybe I'm wrong, but I generally assume that most people donating thousands of dollars to a basketball program for season tickets likely have the disposable income to do so comfortably and are donating that money in the first place because they are somewhat passionate about the program. I find it hard to believe that these people will balk at what amounts to an extra few hundred dollars.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Hinkle, Shimmy, knobcreekfan and 5 others like this.
  15. GO_DAWGS!

GO_DAWGS! Active Member

Money:
    $86
    I had another year of 4-5 seats under my belt, a bigger donation, moved up 75 spots and got slightly worse seats. I realize some people move up and got better seats, I did not. I was told last year in a conversation with folks there what my points-per-ticket should be to get the same seats again, I made sure I had slightly higher and had lots of options. The recommendations put up this year are either 50pts or 150pts more per seat in the section I'm in and one next to it. Cleary the people that took all the similar seats before me, even when I moved up 75 spots, had more points than I did, some considerably more. No, I don't obviously know the real reason why...but what sounds more likely?.....That a bunch of high priority point people decide they wanted to have a worse viewing angle, be farther from the court, be closer to the band or sit behind a digital sign or that they are people that got pushed up from lower levels and find my seats to be a better value and a lock with their points? Again, not saying it's wrong, or that I don't understand the economics of it all going up and I realize some folks went up in rank and got better seats, that just wasn't my experience.

16. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $145
    Any idea when single game tickets go in sale?

17. Ster8462

Ster8462 Member

Money:
    $192
    Individual ticket sales are likely a distance off. Likely to sell mini packages next

18. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,193
    Last year, the conference schedule was announced around Sept 12, and single game tickets were available around Oct 1, if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,215
    There you go, Hinkle. Trying to use facts and logic to explain why seats aren't available! o_O

godogs91 likes this.
  20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,155
    This was my thought too. But I think Spartandawgs may be right for at least a few of such donors (including, it sounds like, himself). I spoke with an acquaintance this week about his select-a-seat and he was able to sneak to the lower premium level seats this year because, he presumes, there were just enough people with tons of points who chose to go a few rows up for less money (i.e., most of the seats just outside the premium section, where he usually sits, were taken by the time he selected, but he could still sneak into the lowest section and he paid the premium).

Whether this happened enough that it materially affected those who aren't in the upper top echelon of the points list, and whether this is much different from every other year (he had more points than last year), I don't know.

But yeah, I also found it hard to believe you could donate that much and be affected by that price increase. But it seems at least some were. (And your 1-2k/year estimate is too low.)