$2,836
    I am, Sunday at Xavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

jeff likes this.
  3. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,384
    LaVall should put a remote shock collar on Kamar during practice so every time he drives into traffic and leaves a shooter wide open when the second defender collapses on him, he gets zapped.

Yes - sarcasm, but not sure how else you get him to look around once he gets caught in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,913
    This is the same offense and same Kamar that just turned in a performance on Saturday representative of a top ten team and an all American.

I have my fair share of skepticism regarding how we utilize our offense on a game to game basis (how is it we can be so dramatically different one game to the next all the time) than I do with the actual system itself or with the players running it.

I don’t need Kamar to play anywhere near what he did on Saturday to have our offense look dramatically better than it did.

jal8908 and GoodDawgs like this.
  5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,913
    We’ve seen flashes of all of that, but the difference is confidence. With guys like CD who can be tentative, I think coaches generally handle it completely wrong; I think you encourage guys like him to go make mistakes.

I stated a while back that I want Christian to miss 4 shots a game. When guys need to gain confidence it’s important for them to know that they have the freedom to make mistakes. It’s also beneficial to prod them into some aggressiveness (especially after a huge injury), which a goal of 4 missed shots would do.

6. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $281
    I wish we would've redshirted Christian last season. He strikes me as a guy who will shine as an upper classman and with more confidence. But right now there is a lot of wing depth ahead of him and it'll be much of the same next season.

UDDawg likes this.
  7. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $134
    We missed shots for sure. I have to watch again, but we did not have many wide open 3's until we hit a few in the final minutes. Not having an offense designed to get open looks hurts us. We were outrebounded by 7. There were several occasions where we were in position and just couldn't get a board. Those missed 2nd chance opportunities killed us. Brunk fought hard inside. Tucker had 6. Should have been 7 counting his gift to Powell. I think the lack of rebounding hurt us as much as the crap shooting. This game was a dead heat from 3. Both teams sucked from distance. They got to the line and got the rebounds.

Tentozen likes this.
  8. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $988
    It will be a very sad affair if we can't beat X. :(

Dewars12 and BoyGeoff like this.
  9. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $498
    Brunk has consistently made good post moves. Not saying he is the #1 option either, but scored 20 on 10 shots, and there were a bunch of times Baldwin could have dumped off to him rather than putting up one of his 16 misses.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  10. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,258
    Bold.

11. RegionTownDawg

RegionTownDawg Member

Money:
    $69
    This was what frustrated me the most. I honestly liked the way our offense played early, and thought that Seton Hall was lucky not to be down 10-15 after the first 5 minutes or so. But we missed our open shots, and it seemed like we got in our own head over it. If we have capable shooters getting open 3's, we should want them to keep shooting regardless of if they've started falling yet. Instead, we voluntarily gave up on one of our offense's biggest strengths.

harvesting and BoyGeoff like this.
  12. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,697
    OK back Brunk numbers out. No way should any one player take 40% of the shots. Even LeBron doesn't do that. MJ never did.

harvesting likes this.
  13. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Active Member

Money:
    $229
    After an evenings Z's to reflect this is what the light of morning brings.

1) When Baldwin is working within the team offense, cutting to the basket off screens for one on one drives he is near unstoppable as demonstrated in first 5 minutes of the game. When he attempts to take 2 defenders (or a single much taller defender) off the dribble or in isolation, he is at best a mediocre scorer who grinds the offense to a standstill (for the four other Butler players who are left watching). This duality to his play is well documented by video. All in all, it appears that Jordan has no clue as to how to coach him or demonstrate through video review the cost his play imposes on the teams' offense.

2) The Seton Hall game was a paradigm of how this team does not take the important fundamentals of the game seriously. 3 examples: 1) the much discussed failed Tucker box out on missed FT for an easy Powell put back late in the game, 2) Christian David's awful pass just inside the timeline for a break away FG early in the second half and 3) AT's very similar weak pass just inside the time line for a break away FG in the first half. Those are 6 points given up due to poor fundamental play that simply digs the hole of offensive stagnation deeper. If you look at video from this game, nearly any game this season, you will see similar poor fundamentals repeated time after time. It looks like laziness, but I don't think that is the root cause. I think it is because the fundamentals haven't been stressed enough by this coaching staff. Why else would these mistakes continue??

3) Jordan again went with 3 guards for the last 4;23 of the first half. In that span the lead went from 5 to 9 which doesn't sound huge, but in a one point game is huge. This is a FAILED concept that for whatever set of reasons this coach reverts too. Why would you revert to a concept that has been demonstrated as a failure time and again?

4) Jordan continues to merit out punishment for poor play on an erratic basis. Baldwin can do not wrong. Jorgensen can make horrible passing and shot selection decisions yet still remains in the game. Christian David makes one mistake (granted a costly one) and sits the REMAINDER of the second half. Jordan is so inconsistent I would hate to play for him. Unless your one of "his" stars, your playing time status is always in question.

5) Nate was back to being what he has been all season. I understand that Brunk needs to rest on occasion. Bryce Golden never saw the floor. I find it inexplicable that Jordan could justify in his mind playing Nate over Golden. I simply don't understand how you make that rationalization.

6) On the positive side, there was a real improvement on defense, particularly in the back court. Thompson and Baldwin both demonstrated huge effort down the stretch and came up with three steals. So too, Brunk and Tucker were very strong on the boards (excepting Tucker's breakdown on the FT). AT was not in foul trouble.

This team is in need of better direction and leadership. They simply aren't getting it on the floor or from the coaching staff. End of story.

dawg767, estar20dawg, Baddog and 2 others like this.
  14. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,800
    Once in a blue moon do I agree with Baddog's take but I agree with 90% of this post. I've stayed far away from this board since the Florida game as I knew it would be a dumpster fire. For those who say this was a winnable game I agree..... winnable for any BE team except Butler. Our usual "point-a-minute" offense on the road reared it's ugly head again until late in the 1st half. The only shining spot for the offense was created by the defense when our guards got after them and created turnovers and quick points. That got us back in the game. But for the most part there is a clear talent disadvantage. SH could create or get an open look anytime they needed to, our answer was Baldwin, Baldwin and more Baldwin. Joey Brunk is our new Matt Howard. Let the offense run through him..... It's only going to get better. I do think LJ will improve his coaching. He subs Way to much and seems to be always taking the hot hand out (except for Baldwin). If you're going to put CD in there, let him stay for 5-7 minutes and see what happens. In a "point-a-minute" offense what have you got to lose? And where's Golden? He just disappeared. I'm not giving up on the season yet, but we somehow need to figure out how to play Hinkle ball on the road and win some of these winnable games.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

Clevedog likes this.
  15. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,395
    This. Cause every 2 seconds he's looking over his shoulder at Lavall wondering when he's going to get pulled for 1 mistake while watching McD, Baldwin, and just about everyone else get free reign...LJ has literally crushed every shred of confidence CD ever had...It's been a long time that I can remember a player being more mismanaged and coached in my life.... He most definitely should of RS last year given his knee time to heal and get in the flow...We hung in the game when it was the CD JT lineup in the 2nd half. Gets benched forever for yes a horrible pass that we saw almost everyone else make at some point as well last night.

I'm a big Tucker fan but that missed rebound on the FT was absolutely inexcusable, if CD did that we'd never see him again...The Baldwin iso 3 down 4 with under a minute was just a absolute terrible shot and decision even LJ could be seen saying you can't shoot that.

If you watch the last few minutes you could see the ball movement and kick to Baldwin who for seem reason always pump fakes then holds...I want to see him either catch and just go up and shoot in rhythm or quick jab and go. Not catch pup fake, think about things for 5 seconds gives the entire defense time to recover...He's been doing that all year and think it was would an easy coaching fix if Jordan actually looks at film and coaches...

16. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $134
    Agree with much of your post. Have a difference of opinion on item 4 quoted above.

I thought David reverted to his early season uncertainty in this game. He seemed hesitant again. With that, I had no problem with his minutes last night.

Jorgensen only took 2 3's and overall 3/8 6 pts 3 rebounds 3 assists. I don't think he played poorly last night. Not great but good enough. Certainly don't think he was a significant factor in the loss. Again, he is best as are McD and Tucker from open looks generated through movement. We don't run much offense where this is by design. It is what it is I guess.

The offense/defense substitutions in the final 5 minutes. Well we did keep it close, but, by the same token, what difference does it make what offensive players are on the floor if 4 players stand around and watch Baldwin burn the clock? So, I think that is overkill by Jordan. If you are putting in players for offense...run an offense! Otherwise, it just adds complexity to the process.

17. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,585
    You hate thinking that a game against your biggest rival is a do or die game, but this is. Coaching to the roster, it's a flawed team and a BE start like that will cause the season to crumble. Sunday is that. They need to collect themselves and try to steal that win. 1-3 with this bunch is too big of a hole to crawl from. It really is about the first 5ish minutes with this bunch. It goes well, we've got a game. A hint of trouble and everyone turns into rotten pumpkins. From the staff on down, and then Kamar goes and does what he wants, believing he's the only one that can win it/keep his team in the game.

Danville Bulldog likes this.
  18. jvoigt

jvoigt Member

Money:
    $49
    Butler really missed the chance to play with a lead by not converting on the early 1st half turnovers by Seton Hall. Seton Hall kept turning the ball over and Butler just didn't take advantage of the situation. Butler couldn't get past 9 points scored for the longest time and only scored 25 points in the 1st half. Let's face it... 25 points in a first half is not a formula for success. Neither is not making a single 3 point basket in a half when 3 point shooting is supposed to be one of our strengths.

19. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,395
    I want going forward and this is a pipe dream cause LJ has shown nothing about being able to make adjustments

PG- AT 30 (or as many more that we can get with him not in foul trouble), PJ 10 or the remainder
    SG- KB 30, PJ 5, CD5
    SF- HB 15, McD 15 Tucker 5 CD 5
    PF Tucker 20, Golden 15 CD 5
    C JB 25-30, NF 10-5, BG 5

Until we get to somewhere close to this...IDK what we can really expect to see except more inconsistency...

IndyDawgs likes this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,697
    Tucker hasn’t done much on either end of the floor yet everyone wants him to start and get 30 minutes a game. He hasn’t finished around the rim, isn’t hitting shots and isn’t any better than McD or PJ. What do you see other than he is a “ Duke transfer”?

harvesting and BulldogCTM like this.