Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (10-5) at Seton Hall Pirates (11-3) - 1/9

Jared Grubbs, Jan 5, 2019

Settled
  1. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $171
    In addition to this, no Kamar at PG. AT or PJ only. And when it's PJ, pass first, shoot last.

estar20dawg likes this.
  2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,819
    That's why I had no KB under PG lol :) I'm with you at PG it's AT and whatever else time we need its PJ and it's pass first and he's a pretty good passer with pretty good vision

IndyDawgs likes this.
  3. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,596
    He's shooting 40% from 3. Not saying he should be starting, but I'm refuting that he's not hitting shots. He's definitely had major issues finishing around the rim, though. He's only 1-13 on 2-point FGA.

estar20dawg likes this.
  4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,340
    This one stumps me as well. It doesn't work against teams with length. Golden should have seen the floor last night because Brunk was getting his own and in charge. If we would have used a true 4 to play down low instead of continuing to chuck brick 3's, this could have easily been a game we won.

As far as Tucker goes, there needs to be a decision made if you're going with CD, PJ or JT. Somebody needs more minutes on the court to learn and play in real time. I get that foul trouble was an issue last night, but look at the impact Brunk made when he finally got to that level. He wasn't worried about getting subbed out. He was a man among boys. Take the reigns off of Tucker, tell him not to shoot from deep every time he touches the ball and teach him how to stay in front of his man. Put your best five on the court.

5. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $171
    Agree to agree then!

Also totally agree about PJ's vision. He generally only hurts the team with shot selection. He might have the best handles and vision on the team. AT is more stable and is more consistent but PJ plays right on the edge of out of control and I don't mind the aggressiveness. Also, once every 3-5 games he'll make a pass that literally makes my jaw drop.

6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $2,493
    Bigger sample size is needed on Tucker, but outside of a catch and shoot option, he's struggled on offense and is lost on defense (but who isn't at this point)

bumba and BoyGeoff like this.
  7. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17
    Maybe theyre just having a tough academic semester and can't focus on butler basketball

the_speakers_lab likes this.
  8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,441
    Too many good posts to quote each, but I have a couple of thoughts:

1) estar pointed out that Kamar pump fakes and holds. I’d be willing to trade more charges and more turnovers for Kamar to just go. If he’s not moving forwards or shooting, pass and reset, even if it just means waiting to get the ball back and repeat. That’s fine, but at least make the defense move. I have no problem with his shot volume if it’s not after ten seconds of nothing.

2) Jordan Tucker has been terrible finishing at the rim, but quite remarkable at getting to the rim. I think it’s some practice and more toughness. Eventually those shots will go.

3) Besides being new and unknown, what has anyone seen that has given them cause to believe Golden should get minutes?

4) not converting off of any of Seton Hall’s early turnovers was crucial imo. That was our opportunity to make a move and we dribbled our way to midrange twos.

5) What are our goals? What did we go into last night trying to do on offense? It *looked* completely different than Saturday? What is the goal with Christian? Why do we play him at the expense of other people and then not use him? Why do we have him handling the ball against pressure when Kamar stands in the corner? Maybe we actually do want that, but is close in a conference game the time to find out? I don’t understand the end game to a lot of what we’re doing. If you’re gonna play someone, use them, and if you can’t use them, don’t play them.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

RegionTownDawg and Tentozen like this.
  9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,340
    Tucker's turning into one of the best rebounders on our team. I agree his man-to-man defense needs work. If he would take shots closer to the rim & increase his accuracy, I don't think LaVall would have a choice but to keep him on the court.

I'm slowly joining the club that CD doesn't fit on this team right now.

Clevedog and OldSchoolDawg1983 like this.
  10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,690
    You want AT to shoot first then pass?

11. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,596
    From Woods' gamer last night: "Seton Hall was beatable. So are Xavier and DePaul. So is the rest of the Big East."

That's what I'm resting all of my hopes for the remainder of this season on. IF (you don't need to tell me how big of an if this is) this team can learn how to put a complete game together, it can legitimately beat any team in the conference and we could end up making the tournament easily.

Really, I think the more important part of that "If" statement is how long it will take to learn how to play complete games. If it takes them until February, it'll be too late.

12. OldSchoolDawg1983

OldSchoolDawg1983 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $293
    I'd say we have the next four games.......@X, @DePaul, SJU, Nova.......to fix the problems. The clock is ticking. Unlike recent seasons past, we won't recover from 2-5 or 1-6 in the BE.

13. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $365
    Or, is there anything to this point, that indicates they can win any road games.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

14. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,986
    Pretty certain he is just saying that if PJ is running the point, he doesnt want to see pull up, 25 foot 3pts without a pass.

UDDawg, IndyDawgs and estar20dawg like this.
  15. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
    I agree with this. I haven't seen anyone in the BE that Butler couldn't beat. This is still a wide open conference. Nova may be at the top but they aren't that much better than anyone else.

UDDawg likes this.
  16. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,986
    I put that loss squarely on Kamar. If he is going to be the man, he has to learn when to NOT be the man. Dribbling out the clock and jacking a pull-up 3 is not his game. He also needs to learn to look for open shooters when he gets in the paint with nowhere to go. Yesterday, he had multiple opportunities to give Tucker, McDermott, and David wide open shots, but instead he passed them up for bad looks in the paint that he missed.

17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
    Backing away from the precipice there were some solid takeaways from the game that shouldn't be overlooked namely

Excellent foul shooting
    Second half we shot 47% and 39% from three
    Only 9 turnovers for the game
    Six steals
    Brunk may have crossed into a big time player and potentially next year's leader

18. Butler_Boatdawgs456

Butler_Boatdawgs456 New Member

Money:
    $34
    Should be 9 man rotation at most. CD hasn’t flashed any ability to contribute, so why take away minutes from guys who are better? Let the players who actually have some confidence and have shown the ability to contribute get in a rhythm.

Seems like a nice enough kid. But through never recovering from injury, or lack of confidence, he’s just a below average athletically wing who can’t stay in front of his man, isn’t a knockdown shooter, and can’t get to the rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,819
    LOL what's funny is he is and was known as a knock down shooter in HS for whatever reason isn't allowed to shoot...I don't know what to tell you if you think he's below average athletically, he's 6'7, 2 guard, playing the 4 cause his wingspan is huge, hence that game saving block against Ole Miss who no one else on this team could have done. I get and understand he messes up on defense sometimes, but how often have we seen people just go right around McD or Tucker or even Baldwin... He's an above average passer who is now after yesterday 3-8 from behind the arc...people all thought Baddley couldn't shoot turns out, he's actually pretty decent shooter. I don't know how you can say doesn't contribute either as he was WIDE open at least 3 Baldwin crazy drives open and I'd bet he would have knocked down at least 1...When people say these things just shows a lack of watching replays and isolating out what players do who don't have the ball in their hands the whole game...Just once I wish we could see CD play 25-30 minutes...Everybody would be like where the F did this come from...Go read back the just pure anti Brunk stuff and anti Baddley stuff over the years, heck I was a bit guilty of the anti McD stuff, while I think he's capped his potential turns out he's a pretty solid role player.

PSUButlerFan, Tentozen and jeff like this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
    Why do you believe McD has capped his potential?