Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (10-5) at Seton Hall Pirates (11-3) - 1/9

Jared Grubbs, Jan 5, 2019

Settled
  1. Butler_Boatdawgs456

Butler_Boatdawgs456 Member

Money:
    $87

My overall point is we need to shorten the bench. Build consistent rotations. Let the guys get comfortable in roles.

CD hasn’t shown that he’s better than any of the guys ahead of him... so why keep taking minutes away from the other 3 to trot him out there for 5 minutes?

And we’ve already got plenty guys who “mess up on defense sometimes” no need to add more confusion on that end...we gave up 3 dunks last night just on stupid missed switches.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,739
    Which makes one shake the head. He has the tools, but just can't get that part of his game going. Even though in my opinion he can get to the rack mostl when he wants.

3. Butler_Boatdawgs456

Money:
    $87
    Also wouldn’t mind experimenting with some Golden at the 4 for funzies.

Maybe it helps some of the rebounding woes? We lose a lot of junk rebounds off bad shots, maybe another big body helps.

Maybe offense has a little more movement and spacing on the wing if there’s a second big to set a pick at the top of the key?

Maybe the defense in the lane is a little better... I feel like we give up a lot of dunks and layoffs off of drives and dump offs.

Also prevents the problem of Sean a lot of the time being the guy that’s asked to come across the bottom of the key and contest a shot... if he’s not taking a change he’s just not big enough to make a play there. Not his fault, he’s doing as well as he can.

Tentozen likes this.
  4. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    Of course that statement is true. BU has the talent on this roster to play with and beat anyone in this league, home or road. Think of how very good this team has looked at times this year (IU, Creighton). So the talent is there. But the ball must go through the hoop at a high rate in this current set-up (can't really call it an offense) in order to overcome the under-coaching and lack of preparation. Can't we do something to put them in a little better position more often to score by actually running an offense? Even at that, you can still win ball games when the ball isn't falling from the perimeter. You just work for even better shots. Or getting to the free throw line. And not continually settling for perimeter shots early in the shot clock.

BU had the talent to be much better than 21 - 14 last year. This team is way better than 10 - 6. The players are easy targets to criticize for these "winnable" losses. Granted, their performance on the floor, the decision making, poor fundamentals, and a lack of improvement from game to game is pretty evident and easy to target. But it really does start and end at the top with Jordan. Baldwin's play not only has Jordan's green light but also his encouragement. That is painfully obvious. Kamar's hero ball is easily 3 or 4 times worse than anything Kelan ever did, and yet Holtmann (certainly not my favorite coach) put Martin on the bench and rarely started him again as punishment. Jordan embraces Kamar's play and selfishness.....although don't you have to believe even Kamar is smart enough to know how ridiculous his play has been? But that's Jordan's preferred offense.

You can head scratch and wonder why some of these touted and talented guys on the roster aren't consistently producing. But has Jordan really given them the framework, the direction, coaching and best opportunity to win. It's a waste for Top 100 players to be standing around watching Kamar go 1 on 1. And no apparent reasoning behind the substitution patterns, other than Jordan "just can." Be nice to break a sweat before getting pulled. Speaking of Top 100 guys, isn't it kind of a waste for a guy with some size and athleticism to pull up and shoot nothing but 3's most of the time? Where's the mid range game coach? How about some high low with Joey? Both ways.

If you don't coach these guys and teach them to make good decisions both with and without the ball, and you prefer running a break your man down style offense and not defending the paint on D, this is what it looks like. 5 of the 6 losses were winnable. And amazingly, as ugly as it has been at times (and it has been real, real ugly), haven't seen any appreciable adjustments or changes to correct it. Yes, the talent is there, at least in the players.

Tentozen and Gregory Roach like this.
  5. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $249
    This is NOT Andrew Smeathers- the sequel. David needs to have the confidence to know he WILL get solid minutes every game and he needs to let it fly from 3 anytime he is open and/or take it to the rack and let the chips fall where they may. This is totally a guy I could see transferring from Butler to some Missouri Valley or MAC school and averaging 20+ PPG. You can't just pop him in and out for 3-4 minutes at a time- let the guy play uninhabited!!!

PSUButlerFan and estar20dawg like this.
  6. Butler_Boatdawgs456

Money:
    $87
    OMG that’s a great comparison. Exactly who he is.

Maple Smeathers!

7. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    I didn't realize Smeathers was a top 70 prospect before a knee injury...

8. Clevedog

Clevedog Active Member

Money:
    $284
    If the above is true then David should certainly transfer to a MAC or MVC school and start and score 20 points a game. I cannot see any reason he should get playing time over Tucker. Someone earlier posted something about being a Duke Transfer, and yes being recruited and selected by Duke does ad credibility to ones resume. I can't stand Duke, but if they offer a scholarship to a player you can assume they did their due diligence and can judge talent. Perhaps David has not been given all the opportunity he needs to showcase his talent, but when he and Tucker take the court, Tucker appears more confident and sharper in skills.

9. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    I want them on the court at the same time just FYI not one or the other

10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    You can say that David hasn’t contributed much (I don’t think we win the ole miss game without him though, and he hasn’t hurt us otherwise) but it’s hard to say he hasn’t at all shown that he *can’t* contribute.

I think there are pretty clearly some confidence issues going on which isn’t ideal, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to address them. CD is one of the better athletes, smarter players, and perhaps one of our better shooters.

Maybe he never would put it together. In fact, I think when there are confidence issues that’s more likely than not that he won’t. If he did put it together though I think he has the tools to become a game changer and that’s something worth investing in.

As far as McDermott, I also agree he has come close to maximizing his potential, which is a huge compliment actually. If you think McDermott has a lot of growth potential-what do you think he is physically capable of doing to substantially elevate his game, and if he’s capable of doing so, why hasn’t he done it yet? He’s a very good shooter. I’d like him work to become a truly great shooter, which involves reading and using screens better, and becoming a threat without the ball in his hands. He can get there, but that’s still gonna look like the same guy on paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

estar20dawg likes this.
  11. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Let me say this about every Butler player- None have reached nor even come close to their potential.

cornette33 likes this.
  12. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    Why do you say so? I’d say multiple have. Sean, PJ, Nate, I think Henry is pretty close.

13. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    Definitely not as a team, but in terms of individual skills, I think the guys do about all they can, they just don't do it well, or well consistently.

14. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,161
    I’m not sure Butler can beat St. John’s even at Hinkle. They are really quick & super athletic at every position. I think they’ll need a Creighton-like effort to beat Marquette & Villanova at Hinkle.

Tentozen and estar20dawg like this.
  15. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,294
    We should be winning any game where the above is true at this point.

Tentozen likes this.
  16. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    The same people who use YouTube highlights to gauge how good a player is are probably the same ones that thought Jackson Aldridge was the Australian Steve Nash.

As for David to me, to me, he just plays really passive--almost like a deer in the headlights look out there.

You don't even have to be a great shooter or slasher. Look at someone like Baddley. Played hard on defense last year and earned rotational minutes. Now he's a starter.

17. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    I’d say shooting 47% on 3’s had something to do with it, but I also think I can watch highlights and learn something about players. ‍♂️

18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    I’m going to address Sean and Henry because they have a year left. Both didn’t see much action until after January this year . In the off season they both (as well as everyone else) will have an entire summer of weight and conditioning time. McD can work on his drives to the basket and shooting off the dribble. To say he can’t get better at that because he is only a spot up shooter is plain false. He probably has the highest b-ball IQ on the team. No reason he can’t continue to improve. He has the length, hops, smarts and desire to keep improving.

Same applies to Baddley. He can improve his physique and handles along with drives to the basket.

To say either are near peaking is not right.

Fowler can get a lot better if he had the proper mind set to be aggressive and a bit mean but I think he is focused on graduating and the next step in his life.

PJ may be closest to maxing out because he doesn’t have another off season. Right now he has the best handles on the team and sees the floor better than anyone. I would rather have him play the point than KB which would maximize his skill set. I re watched the game today and he took really one bad shot but otherwise was solid on the offensive end. One bad shot compared to the number of bad shots by KB is nothing. PJ is a rythym shooter which most good shooters are. But you need to have enough shots to get in rythym.

I know I’m going to get hammered by those who don’t like the above four players so have at it. But to say players can’t get better is wrong. Did you watch Powell last night?

Tentozen likes this.
  19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    SHU has limited depth. They are athletic but can be wild and get lost on defense. Nova has two really good players but not much else that concerns me. They aren’t the Nova of last year who we beat and who lost more talent than we did.

Marquette can put up numbers but if Howard is off they are beatable. If he is on no one can stop him. Their defense is still not great.

jeff likes this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    Now but not not next year