Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (10-5) at Seton Hall Pirates (11-3) - 1/9

Jared Grubbs, Jan 5, 2019

Settled
  1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,441
    Sean has already had 3 offseasons. Even if he improves off the bounce, can he get to the point where we want him taking that shot? I doubt it.

Henry is another guy I expected s huge leap out of. I kinda have just concluded he’s a 3 and d guy. I don’t think his shooting has tremendous more upside bc of the lack of mechanical repeatability and I don’t think he has the “feel” to be a driver.

Both are useful players who I wouldn’t want to lose, but I suspect we’ve seen close to the best versions of them. Would be as happy as anyone to be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,690
    I watched the game again today which I recommend doing from time to time. It takes the emotions of the moment out and you can stop, back up and fast forward allowing you to focus on certain things. A few things that have already been covered and a few new observations:

Tucker- He is very smooth and handles the ball extremely well. He will get better and better with more experience. I can see his minutes going up. His shots will begin to fall.

David- Similar to Tucker. Just needs more minutes and repetition. Can be lackadaisical which comes from not having adjusted to the speed of the game.

Brunk- Refs called travels on him twice which weren’t travels costing us four points. In the second half Brunk scored twice in about 45 seconds and was extremely aggressive even diving out of bounds. Tide was turning just right then and LJ pulled him out. Don’t understand that. To me if someone is hot you ride the horse.

Baldwin- I think LJ wants Baldwin to go it alone and has the other perimeter players clear out. On numerous occasions McD and AT stood in the corners watching KB operate. We jump all over KB for playing hero ball but I think that may be what LJ wants.

Back breakers- Tucker not blocking out on free throw ( freshman mistake even though he is a sophomore). Fowler getting blocked on a bunny. Out of bounds play by SHU with 14 seconds left going the length of the court to score and refs not calling a foul on PJ.

First Half- Reserves came in and were discombobulated on defense. Communication and switching was not crisp.

Zone- We are awful in a zone.

3. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
    You will be wrong

harvesting likes this.
  4. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Active Member

Money:
    $190
    Kelan Martin had similar iso-ball, clear outs late in our tourney loss to Purdue last season.

I honestly think Jordan calls for them at times, but it doesn't fit the narrative of Baldwin acting as a rogue ball hog that this forum likes to spin.

shoeevv likes this.
  5. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,457
    Is there a point to this?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
    You may be right. These clear outs/isolations remind me of why I don't like the NBA. We ( me included ) during the heat of battle jump on KB but it looks like this is what LJ wants.

7. schoops

schoops Active Member

Money:
    $446
    I grew up in the 80s, when nba rules didn't allow zone and barely allowed double teams. The college game was so much more fun to watch with so many different styles of both offense and defense. I grew up watching IU with Knight, who was an ahole but taught a beautiful kind of offense. And I felt basically the same watching the 2000s Butler teams.

Now I feel like there nba teams play with tons of action off the ball, and college basketball had changed to high ball screens while people stand around... Like the 80s nba. Idk... I'm not that educated, but I feel like we play an 80s nba offense but the defense doesn't have to play with 80s nba rules.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Butler Hoops mobile app

BoyGeoff likes this.
  8. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $1,531
    But difference with KM driving was his strength and ability to get to the rack and draw fouls

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen likes this.
  9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
    I'm older than you. I remember the original Indiana Pacers and their star Roger Brown. An entire game seemed to consist of clearing out for Brown to go one on one. To some extent SHU uses Powell similarly to the way we use KB, Howard with Marquette and Ponds with SJU. I wonder if this is because of the shorter shot clock or the three point line?

Not to get side tracked but watch NBA players stand in the corner while someone like James Hardin go one on one. I tried to watch the Jazz when Hayward played there and he spent most of his time standing in the corner. Even our McD and Baddley stand in the corner. The old back door cuts and motion offenses from Princeton days are history I guess.

I can't stand the high ball screen offense or bigs going out there defending then flailing away trying to get back under the basket.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  10. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $481
    I really do not like the 1-2-2 zone. The free throw area is wide open( if I was coaching I would send someone to the BIG EAST, three feet below the foul line) and there are no clear block out areas. Your baseline pair can block out the baselines if you are really disciplined, but who blocks out the middle? It works if you have really long , quick wings and tall quick baseline players. We do not. I am a little surprised it throws the other team out of its rhythm for a couple of possessions but I consider it like running the WILDCAT in football, a change of pace only.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  11. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,819
    The two points I'll just address quickly reading this. For Sean who you claim had the highest basketball IQ he makes since of the dumbest decisions and fouls I've seen in a long time...

I think people forget Myles Powell I believe was a top 50 recruit... He's been ticketed for stud ever since the first time I saw him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Active Member

Money:
    $190
    Yep. There's maybe 2 people on this entire roster who can create their own shot off the dribble.

13. harvesting

harvesting Member VIP Member

Money:
    $139
    Ok. Seriously what’s your REAL problem with Sean? You’ve had a problem with him since day 1. Sure you occasionally say a neutral thing here or there I assume because you’ve had to eat your words on several occasions. But your probably right and every coach he’s ever played for is wrong. He, more than any player you’ve ever seen play basketball commits the stupidest fouls and makes the dumbest decisions. Honestly that’s laughable. So what’s the rub? You liked his girl and she never gave you the time of day? I don’t know how old you are maybe it was his Mom? This dislike you have for him is beyond basketball, or you sir just make some of the dumbest comments I’ve read ...ever!

14. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,819
    Lol this guy... You must be Sean's little brother

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  15. bwesson15

bwesson15 Active Member

These are the stats for us so far in conference play. Kamar has shot the ball almost 40 more times than anyone else. He has shot the ball 63 times for 68 points. With a usage over 30% he only has 13 assists. Jordan Tucker currently has a negative win shares and a PER of 3. If you don't know what that means just know that it is awful. His rebounding has been fantastic besides that one boneheaded play on the free throw. His shooting on the other hand has been awful. Third most shots on the team with only 4 makes. They have to be more efficient for us to win. Nate has been disappointing to me so far. He's struggling in the paint but has made three 3's so I guess that's a positive. Him and Joey are doing a great job on the offensive glass, but that's about all that Nate is doing. Joey has really stepped up in conference play so far. 44 points and 21 boards I think we got a good one. I want him to get the ball even more. I don't really see any other stats that just jump off at you. PJ's jump shot has been off for a couple games in a row now. If he could get hot again that would be huge. .Overall it's been a disappointing start though. There is no reason we shouldn't be 3-0 in conference play so far. Both of these losses were winnable games. I really hope we come out and show some urgency this Sunday. It's a must win game now, because after this you got DePaul (who we should beat but who knows)St John's, Villanova, @Creighton, and Marquette that's a hell of a stretch. Screenshot_20190111-010231_Chrome.jpeg Screenshot_20190111-010925_Chrome.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  16. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,107
    I believe incorporating a pretty lame attempt at humor and Sean’s mom should probably best left alone. You probably have no idea of how much of an insensitive a-hole you are, so I’ll give you a pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,127
    don't know if this was already covered since there are >500 replies on this thread but Brunk had a double-double which I believe is pretty good for a basketball man to do

18. harvesting

harvesting Member VIP Member

Money:
    $139
    It’s a serious question to a guy who continually talks negatively about Sean. So much so over the past 3 seasons that it’s a legitimate question. It’s so kind of you to interject here. But I can guarantee you 100% that Kim (Sean’s Mom) takes offense to rude, blatant, negative, comments. I can also guarantee you that like Sean she also has a very high basketball IQ so she could look past the ignorance on this board. I’ve told her not to get on here and she says she doesn’t. I’ve thought the same thing myself several times, I shouldn’t even get on here but I do and I’ve learned that a lot of comments are fueled by the emotion of the game and I overlook them. This guys comments, not so much. I’m not one of Sean’s parents, but close enough to know, she also has a sense of humor and my comment doesn’t require your “pass”.
    ***edited because I’ve just read the added comment “must be Sean’s brother” nope, I’m not Chayce, Sean’s brother. But if I were does that make the comments ok?
    And I’m the insensitive a-hole...SMH!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  19. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $2,493
    First of what I hope is many more to come. Sure he would have rather have won though.

In terms of player development - anything is possible, but I'd be pretty surprised to see any big jumps going into next year from guys that already have been getting plenty of burn this season. I'm sure there will be some incremental improvements made in areas in the offseason, but I think unless you're someone like Golden, Hastings, Tucker (hopefully) and I guess maybe David or JGB, most of the guys are the type of player that they are going to be going forward.

Myles Powell was a consensus Top 75 player out of high school, and really the only piece of his game that has changed is that he takes more twos now and gets to the foul line more because of it. I'm not saying he hasn't improved, simply that he's taken a part of his game that he was already at least solid at (if not already good at) and made it better. Same thing that McDermott did coming into this year. He took a part of his game that he was already good at (spot up shooting), and made it better by quickening his release. Thompson focused on improving his finishing around the rim this offseason rather than trying to become a knockdown jump shooter because he was already pretty good at getting to the rim. Brunk changed his body, but he's still the same kind of player he was a season ago, he's just better at the things he was already good at because he's in better shape now.

Changing a weakness into a non-weakness is something (IMO) that can take the course of one's entire college career if it even happens then. Roosevelt Jones never developed a jump shot, but both he and Wideman took most, if not their entire careers to simply turn themselves from poor to solid/good free throw shooters.

estar20dawg and Gregory Roach like this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,690
    Practice, practice, practice. I can assure you AT could become a good shooter if he put up a thousand shots everyday.

Talking about creating your own shot off the dribble - how many do you think there are in the BE? NCAA? NBA? 10? 50? 100?