1. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,667
  2. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Active Member

Money:
    $345
    Irishdawg some solid observations here...

Now a half serious/half teasing question to everyone. Does the "changing a weakness into a non-weakness" apply to the coaching staff as well?? Just asking.

Tongue in cheek aside, I believe this post is spot on as to what needs to happen to develop what is a collection of talented young men into a group that knows how to use their strengths (much better than they do at this juncture) and how to cover for their individual and collective weaknesses. Based on their play to date nearly halfway through this season, they haven't come close to figuring out their collective strengths/weaknesses and the coaching staff seems challenged to help them figure it out. Cases in point: Baldwin consistent hero ball, AT unwillingness to shot, Jorgensen shot selection, TEAM inability to set effective screens, McDermott inability to use those poor screens to get open for his deadly shot, TEAM inability to communicate well on defense, Tucker's inability to keep track of his defensive assignment, Team lack of focus on fundamentals of passing and receiving a pass and than of course their is Nate.... (I could go on) A lot of potential for learning here.

The frustrating aspect to all of this is the potential this group has. Baldwin is nearly unstoppable cutting off a screen one on one, AT has great floor sense and can now finish at the rim, McDermott has a deadly shot that rarely gets free due to inefficient screen use, Jorgensen has a deadly shot when he chooses those shots well and gets off to a good start, David/Tucker have great skills that often are negated by their lack of experience (bad decisions), Golden is simply a raw gem stone waiting for polish...again I could go on.

As always, go Dawgs!

estar20dawg likes this.
  3. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $846
    Considering last season, Butler had two. Kelan Martin and Kamar Baldwin and we're not a power 5 conference program, I'm guessing there's a lot more than that.

4. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $846
    Point being, maybe instead of featuring an offense that has 4 guys standing around the perimeter and letting Baldwin drive (who's not a great passer going to the rim), the offense should have off the ball movement like the Princeton offense. We have one guy on this entire roster who can consistently create his own shot.

Bernie44 likes this.
  5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,374
    Actually there are two. One of whom people think takes bad shots and the other who people thinks take bad shots.

BoyGeoff and estar20dawg like this.
  6. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $846
    Jorgensen on a good day?

7. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,374
  8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    I disagree with Estar’s conclusion that Sean has a poor basketball Iq, but I completely understand how he got there.

Sean has egregious lapses at a rate that is somewhat troubling. I think this is more focus related than anything else, but it’s mistakably true.

I’ve seen enough really smart plays to think that Sean actually is quite a smart player, but you can’t make that judgement without having to explain some really questionable occurrences. If someone wanted to disagree with me I’d have no material argument to counter with, just like they wouldn’t have one to counter mine.

Side note: negative conclusions are a part of honest analysis. That honest analysis may not be accurate analysis, but most of what’s said here is not accurate and that’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. Butler_Boatdawgs456

Butler_Boatdawgs456 Member

Money:
    $87
    Idk man, I think Sean’s pretty tapped out, he is what he is... and that’s perfectly fine. I am not worried at all about him contributing

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

dawgs2014 likes this.
  10. Butler_Boatdawgs456

Butler_Boatdawgs456 Member

Money:
    $87
    I can’t remember one time we’ve run zone and have thought it worked well.

Sometimes we’ll go through offensive droughts, the other team will score like 4 points over a 4 minute stretch... and we’ll still switch to zone as if the defense was the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,374
    Huh?

12. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,979
    I never meant it that I don't think that he's a smart kid, and even a smart bball player. He makes some really, really questionable decisions for someone myself included thinks is above average intelligence. My mind still is seeing him just reaching out and barely grabbing a break away dunk...He tried to commit the same mistake last game just wasn't fast enough, I don't know if that's coaching or just in his mind I have to foul a layup/dunk aka no freebies, but you got to be smart enough to know when you're beat you're beat and not compound that problem. If it sounded like I think he has poor basketball IQ I apologize for that but if that guy thinks I'm just picking on Sean than I can't help him there, I hold every kid accountable for their actions on this team and every team I've ever coached. I love his hustle, heart and teamwork but I think this guy thinks Sean should be playing in an NBA All-Star game vs being a solid glue guy/role player on Butler's team.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  13. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    Obviously they can. Kermit Davis took 11 years before he made the NCAA tournament at MTSU, and now he's got Ole Miss rolling in year 1. Kurt Godlevske (Butler Women's Coach) hadn't had a winning season in his first 4 years and is now 15-1 in year 5. A lot of coaches need time to learn and grow just like players do. Some get it pretty quickly, some never get it, but most just need time to figure things out, just like players.

What can really derail a season is if there isn't buy-in any more from the players, or the coaching staff gets frustrated with the team's results and gets off message that ultimately each season is a process and they're trying to build to play their best basketball in March. Obviously these results aren't what the team or the coaches want, and I do think it's in the players heads a little bit being on the bubble and wanting to make it to the tournament. I'm not sure what can ultimately flip the switch for them to play more relaxed and free outside of winning several in a row (which unfortunately I don't see likely as happening), but hopefully they find it.

estar20dawg likes this.
  14. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,267
    [Emphasis mine] Hey there. I'm sorry it had to be your post I am responding to when about 500 other posters made the same mistake but it's starting to make me a little nuts.

The word is "reining" not "reigning". Thank you.

tlp63 likes this.
  15. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,267
    I don't think so. Tucker can create his own shot, Baddley and Thompson too, much of the time. There's more than just one basketball player on this team.

Also, y'all need to stop using the word "literally" so much. You are using the word incorrectly.

16. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,267
    No. He has a better chance making it in the NBA as a center. The kid simply can not play the 1. Period.

Obviously he's not going to be a NBA center, so actually the only way he makes the NBA is as some kind of freakish 2. But that's not gonna happen.

17. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,042
    In the Hall game, we squandered a great first 8 minutes of defense and decent offensive ball movement, with poor shooting.

Offense and defense both devolved from there. I, personally, have seen all I need to see of David this year. Very, very sad to say.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,374
    Are you saying LJ is reigning and not reining unlike Santa Claus who both reigns and reins?

19. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,571
    Better be careful - harvesting may jump down your throat for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

estar20dawg likes this.