Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (10-6) at Xavier Musketeers (10-7) - 1/13

Jared Grubbs, Jan 11, 2019

Settled
  1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    $283 million is pocket change in endowment world.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

knobcreekfan and NCJon like this.
  2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,433
    What do you think drove the need for new dorms due to record enrollment in the last few freshman classes? Here's a spoiler: it wasn't the school of music.

If you're going to use the basketball program as the primary branding vehicle of the university, then you have to protect it as if it were a multi-million dollar investment.

3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,433
    Name any other school program that has raised the same level of brand awareness or enrollment growth in the last ten years.

4. pharmtard09

pharmtard09 Active Member

Money:
    $0
    If that were the case then Harvard would be winning national titles in all sports with their $36 billion endowment. $10 billion more than the next school.

Just to put that in perspective, if the endowment made 6%, Harvard could pay the tuition for every current undergraduate and still have at least $1.5 billion left to work with every year.

https://thebestschools.org/features/richest-universities-endowments-generosity-research/

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

knobcreekfan likes this.
  5. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $520
    And we did it without spending foolishly.

No amount of money would have kept Brad from going to the Celtics.

Holtmann made $1.75 and could have made more with better performance. His pay was comparable to Gonzaga, Clemson, Xavier and Wake Forest. That is nothing to be ashamed of.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

NCJon and Tentozen like this.
  6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,433
    https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/4/13/harvard-amaker-booster-amakers/

Amaker's salary is undisclosed but it sounds like he's been well taken care of, including a faculty job for his wife.

7. pharmtard09

Money:
    $0
    $1 million is just over 1% of our endowment, Harvard could pay a coach $100 million and it would be 0.2% of theirs. Why is Harvard not national champs in everything then?

8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,433
    Do you see Duke's starting five getting into Harvard? Me neither.

9. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $866
    I think LJ is the right coach for Butler now and going forward. If you look game to game, he is making adjustments many of us were hoping to see, but few have commented on due to missed free throws down the stretch, bad calls (and lack of calls going our way), and a few lucky drops for X.

For instance, (1) the off ball movement early in the game was nice to see and obviously the coaches addressed but still need to keep pounding, (2) the insertion of CD with an athletic line-up (went hand in hand with the movement); and, (3) KB pulling back on the ground and pound isolation (which had to be coaching - although it maybe took 3 games too long). I think his one flaw currently is he is too loyal to some players and gives them too much leeway, while restraining others that could grow. But, I still believe this year's team has some promise (although the light is dimming) and the next few years could be a lot of fun.

jal8908, Tentozen and knobcreekfan like this.
  10. pharmtard09

Money:
    $0
    Ok, University of Texas has the 3rd highest endowment in the country at 26.5 billion. All of Duke's players could get into there no problem, yet they aren't relevant in bball. Not to mention not being very good in football recently.

11. knobcreekfan

Money:
    $520
  12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,433
    I don't really care about Harvard, Duke or Texas honestly. The original point of this conversation started with the impact on 2020 recruiting & my opinion it has more to do with coaching turnover than actual recruiting.

Did I ever say give the entire endowment to the basketball program? No, I didn't. Calm down already. The fact of the matter is the university does have resources available if they wanted to raise the salary of the head bball coach. Whether you agree with that statement or philosophy is your opinion.

pharmtard09 likes this.
  13. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,335
    I assume you mean all of Duke's basketball players could get into Texas as basketball players and not just as students only. Texas was ranked ninth at end of year in football. Shaka is struggling though.

14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,433
    Great, you win. Give the man a bourbon on the rocks.

Like I said earlier, the basketball program is the branding vehicle of BU. Agree or disagree (honestly, I don't care). Recruiting has been impacted by poaching our coach many, many times. Barry, Lick, Brad, Boltmann, etc.

15. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $866
    I'll take a scotch on the rocks. But, you are correct... without much detail to support my supporting position (which is my way after a few half-dozen finger pours of scotch)... BU emphasized basketball for enrollment and marketing of the school... it is well documented. Obviously Harvard, without sports, and Miami (with football, great professional programs and 2LiveCrew) are not comparable institutions...

16. knobcreekfan

Money:
    $520
    No rocks. Neat please.

Early in this thread, as many people were calling for LJ to be fired, I said we need coaching consistency for recruiting. I still strongly disagree with firing LJ.

I agree completely that the Bball program has been a key to our marketing efforts. I disagree with an open checkbook for said marketing effort. Spending 20-30% of our investment earnings on the HC is not prudent. At some point the return on investment is just not there.

Again, paying something similar to power 5 conference programs is nothing to be ashamed of. When we were half of those, yes that is a problem.

Then Butler does have some intangibles. Long term contracts. Cooperative administration with reasonable expectations. And until this week, a fan base with reasonable expectations.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

wazthree and jeff like this.
  17. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,137
    That's easy. Grand Canyon went from 1,000 students on campus to 20,000 and a school almost no one had heard of to one with a national brand. Sports had little to do with that.

Central Florida has had a 40 percent enrollment increase over that time, and gone from being seen as a regional commuter school to the largest in the UF system. Sports had a role, but not as big of one as the university system focusing growth at that campus.

I get your point that Butler has quite successfully used basketball to raise its profile. That still doesn't justify dipping into endowment money to pay for coaches.

Pulling capital out of the endowment - for just about any purpose - is a serious sign that a school is having financial difficulties. Much of the money in the endowment has restrictions placed on its use by the donors, anyway.

18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,433
    Dan Majerle was an NBA all star & Dream Team olympian. Let me know when we hire someone with that pedigree. UCF is a football school that hasn't made March Madness in over a decade.

Just because a school prioritizes sports in their annual operating plan, that certainly doesn't mean the sky is falling or the endowment is evaporating. They've chosen an alternative marketing plan to grow their brand. Basketball put us on the map & will keep us on the map. Anyone who thinks differently should pay attention when people from around the country who have no affiliation with our school want to take their picture with a dog wearing a BU sweater.

19. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,299
    The people wanting to get their picture taken with a dog wearing a BU sweater is a reason to give Kaltenmark a raise, not a reason to fire Jordan.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

GoodDawgs likes this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,335
    Back to the game. Watched the replay last night. Primary reason we blew it in the last four minutes was a breakdown in the defense. Sure there were several offensive lapses but it was the defense. Baldwin, PJ, Tucker and Brunk each had more than one blown assignment that led to buckets or foul shots.