Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (10-6) at Xavier Musketeers (10-7) - 1/13

Jared Grubbs, Jan 11, 2019

Settled
  1. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,131
    There's a huge difference between "prioritizing sports in their annual operating plan" and drawing down capital from the endowment - as you suggested at the beginning of this discussion. There's nothing wrong with the former, although it's not my preference for a university, while the latter is both difficult and a sign of serious financial problems.

knobcreekfan likes this.
  2. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $680
    That’s an excellent point. They scored 16 points in less than 4 minutes!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

bmradio99 and knobcreekfan like this.
  3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,529
    Extrapolate that to a forty minute game comes out to 160 points!

4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,555
    I see the strategy inside of this while you see impending failure. Maybe if we invested in our program in the short term, built a sustainable recruiting effort with a long term well paid coach then we would compete for a Big East title every year and DONOR DEVELOPMENT REVENUE WOULD INCREASE.

There are no "serious financial problems" about it. It's about go big or go home by investing in your brand.

5. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,305
    Seems like that’s the strategy already. I suppose we could bring in a higher paid established recruiting AC, but getting rid of Vall prematurely will just set things back. How has the program not been invested in since joining the BE?

6. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,910
    Come for the exasperated reactions, stay for the scoldings.
    I'm starting the DePaul thread.

ButlerNut, BU_NeonHat and NCJon like this.
  7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    So your solution to keeping basketball on the map is to totally turn the tables on the methods we have used to attain our success?

I’m all for adaptivity, but adaptivity and knee jerk are different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $268
    Holtmann did not lose to Indiana State- some guy named VanScoyk on ISU went absolutely nuts with 3's in the final 5 minutes

9. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,200
    I, like some others here, think BU played a pretty darn good game but lost. It happens. Better than some of their losses which just seemed inexplicable.

Remember when we were in the Horizon League? When the only way we were getting a tournament bid was if we won the league tournament and got an automatic? Well, that's where we are this year. That's the way for us to get in. It can happen. You all know the talent is there. Things could be worse. Things can ALWAYS be worse off than they actually are.

10. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,096
    Time to move on from this game. But before I do, I feel like I need to clarify a few things now that I've had time to cool down.

- I absolutely was not serious when I asked for Brandon Miller to come back. But even saying it in jest was stupid.

- I absolutely don't think LaVall should be fired (now or at the end of the season). Like many fans, I got heated after an ugly meltdown against a rival and said some stupid things. That's my fault for letting the game piss me off that much. Coaching turnover is what has created a lot of this mess, so I think good or bad, we need to ride with LaVall to regain some stability. However, that doesn't mean that I think they are doing a great job presently and that Collier shouldn't be at least a little concerned. I understand that some of the blame also needs placed on the players - they are the one's making the turnovers and missing the free throws. But either directly or indirectly, most things reflect on the coaches.

- I swore to myself that I was going to take a game off from watching Butler - for my own sanity. (Something I haven't done since I was a middle school student in the early 2000's). But I just can't. I'll be watching the Dawgs tonight like I always do. Butler basketball is my primary hobby so I can't quit it. (I'm also a Red's fan - so you can see why Butler's success is so important to me, I don't get much gratification from my other team).

On to the next on. Go Dawgs!