Butler Bulldogs (11-7) vs. St. John's Red Storm (15-3)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Irishdawg, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    Game's tomorrow - let's discuss.

Despite winning the DePaul game, I think St. John's is a tough matchup for Butler. They play fast, they're long at the guard position which could make things difficult for Baldwin and our shooters, and when Marvin Clark plays the 5, that's going to make life hard on Brunk or Fowler having to defend out on the perimeter.

Just looking for continued improvement. St. John's plays faster than Butler, but really both teams are good and bad in the same areas. Hopefully the weather's not too bad and Hinkle's rocking and the Dawgs can come out on top with a win.

2. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,293
    DePaul beat the Johnnies at Carnesecca and surprisingly they led the entire game save for once when they were down by one.

upload_2019-1-18_8-56-11.png

EDIT: I just realized Shamorie Ponds didn't play, so take that with a massive grain of salt.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  3. BullDawg2789

BullDawg2789 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $609
    Kind of unrelated, but does anyone know if the Scotty’s on campus is still open? I read an article a few weeks ago about how some of them closed due to a bankruptcy

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,293
    BullDawg2789 likes this.
  5. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,412
    I'm not trying to get worked up over one half of good basketball against a bottom-tier conference opponent, but man, this would be a really, really good time for Butler to play two complete halves without a meltdown at the end.
    Chas1116 made a post in the DePaul thread that I think is worth noting: St. John's has been terrible at Hinkle, including last year (a game I attended) when Butler held Ponds to four (four!!) field goals and put the game out of reach in the first eight minutes. Their only win at Hinkle (coincidentally, also a game I attended) was in 2014.

Tomorrow would be a great time for Jorgensen to end his shooting slump. His entire game rides on his offense, so some of the sub-par passing and defense I believe will disappear once the ball finds the bottom of the net for him.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,640
    One major SJU weakness is lack of depth. It would be nice to get them into foul trouble but our inability to drea fouls is one of our major weaknesses.

KB and AT need to be better on defense than they have been.

Hopefully we have found our

Daddysmack likes this.
  7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,640
    He is 6-12 in the last two games with three assists to one turnover.

Tentozen, bmradio99 and BoyGeoff like this.
  8. Percent chance Tucker starts? My guess is 85%

9. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    I don't think starting is as important as getting starter's minutes.

Look at Manu Ginobilli all those years with the Spurs.

Baddley gives Butler a good 5th defensive starter, while Tucker gives them a scoring spark off the bench--almost like a top 6th man and is a natural replacement for McDermott in the second lineup.

Would I be upset or surprised if he starts though? No.

10. I'd like him playing with McDermott, not a replacement for him. And of course, how could I forget Manu Ginobilli.

estar20dawg and SpartanDawgs like this.
  11. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $792
    Easy, killer.

Tucker can also play with McDermott, my point wasn't that the two are mutually exclusive.

However, sometimes a great 6th man is more valuable than a 5th starter, especially when there's some lag or a lack of juice with the second unit. As long as Tucker is playing starter's minutes--which assumes he'd be playing those with the first unit often, I think the whole starting thing is a bit overblown.

12. Sorry, killer.

I agree with all of that. I'm just getting tired of these early game deficits we find ourselves in every game. Thinking Tucker starting could help prevent those.

13. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $792
    Not saying you're wrong, and Thompson-Baldwin-Tucker-McDermott-Brunk is the best lineup the Bulldogs have, so hoping we see a lot of it. I just think whether Tucker starts or not is just a label as long as he's playing big minutes.

14. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,084
    It is not the best offensive or defensive lineup by any statistical metric. Just curious how you came up with that conclusion sport

15. 6dawgman9

6dawgman9 New Member

Money:
    $31
    We said Joey off the bench was a great 6th man option too until they kept putting themselves in terrible positions and fighting to get out of a hole.

Don’t get me wrong I love Hank - dude is a freak athlete and great defender - but imo Tucker’s offensive capabilities starting are more important than Hank’s defensive at this point in a so far underwhelming season.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. If you don't think Thompson-Baldwin-Tucker-McDermott-Brunk is the best lineup then I don't know what you have been watching.

Tark43, bumba, Shimmy and 4 others like this.
  17. estar20dawg

Money:
    $3,084
    um...OK champ

18. What is the best lineup then champ?

19. 6dawgman9

6dawgman9 New Member

Money:
    $31
    jkcdawgs and Mad_Dawg 48 like this.
  20. estar20dawg

Money:
    $3,084
    depends what you are looking for, offense is KB, CD McD, JT JB, defensivly, AT KB HB JT NF you could sub CD in for HB if you needed a bit more size that's a wash

bwesson15 likes this.