Butler Bulldogs (11-7) vs. St. John's Red Storm (15-3)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Irishdawg, Jan 18, 2019.

1. jeff

jeff Active Member

Money:
    $241
    If we win the national championship then maybe.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  2. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Active Member

Money:
    $360
    I can't see Tucker leaving any earlier than after next season.

He looks really promising as a collegiate scorer, but I still think his defense needs some work.

Also, while he's a really good athlete for Butler's usual standards--I don't necessarily think he's a great athlete for the next level.

I am excited to see how his game continues to grow. Could see him in time being a more athletic Kelan Martin as far as a pure scorer is concerned.

3. bubby

bubby Active Member

Money:
    $559
    The episodes of poor play really stand out when BU plays so well for most of the game. It looks so obviously horrible when Baldwin suddenly reverts to his 25 second dribble and contested 3 pointer.

It always looks horrible but it sticks out like a sore thumb when things are going so well. But it's progress. I have some hope the team can eliminate ever more of the poor play. The head-scratcher is why a talented enough Butler team would ever do Baldwin hero-ball type things to begin with.

It's getting better though.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,065
    Wasn’t Marvin Williams a backup on that 2005 UNC team that beat Illinois in the title... he was a freshman who went pro and was picked like #2 overall.

dawgs2014 and NCJon like this.
  5. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $406
    Yeah Kentucky had like 6 players drafted in 2015 so there's quite a few examples. That said I doubt Tucker declares and is gone after this year unless he pulls something bizarre like Kaiser Gates. He definitely has the tools to make in the NBA, just in 2020 ideally.

6. Michdog

Michdog Member

Money:
    $144
    Butler is not the only team that just stands at the top of the key and just lets a guard dribble away 25 seconds of a shot clock and then hosts a 3 pointer off the dribble. This is so frustrating because it is so apparent that our 3 point shooters are so much more efficient with a shot off the pass. JT, KB, SD and PJ all shoot much higher percentage off a pass. Why not keep moving the ball? Are they that afraid of a Turnover that they are willing to trade for an almost certain missed shot?

7. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,159
    Pro tip from a former loudmouth of Dawg Pound: practice yelling from your chest/stomach (ie> use your diaphragm) not your throat. It's way louder and you'll never lose your voice after a game.

8. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,380
    We looked pretty good in the first half on offense because of the ball movement. Still a few questionable shots, but much better on offense. Definitely looked like a tournament team. Second half St. John's got back in to the game. Replay of what happens in most of our games. Part of it is probably opponents adjusting and stepping up their game after halftime. But most of it is.....as you say.....stopping what we did in the first half. I don't have a copy of the game to review but at one point late in the second half the announcers said that Baldwin and Tucker had scored the last like 15 or 20 points. Like I said, I don't have a copy of the game, but as I recall they also had nearly all the misses as well. Quit working the ball, two guys taking over the offense. Yes, we won, but it didn't need to be that even that close. We just play better when the ball is shared and the passing is sharp. More than just two weapons on the team. Keep everyone involved. Hopefully Jordan sees that in his post game analysis. Takeaways......ONLY time for hero ball is when there is an obvious one-on-one advantage and it is called from the bench. Start Tucker. Send four or five guys to the defensive board. Got to stop second chance points. Let's see what happens with Villanova. No room for regression.
    P.S. With our height advantage vs. St. John's would have liked to have seen Joey or Fowler posted lower and much closer to the basket. When they did post and we got the ball to them they were too far out and had to put the ball on the floor to get to the bucket. Big men putting the ball on the floor is often not a good thing.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  9. PharmDDawg

PharmDDawg New Member

Money:
    $16
    I just tried to sell 2 tickets for SHU game on TM and it says Fan-to-fan transfer currently unavailable. Not sure why. Stub Hub currently has listings

10. NCJon

NCJon Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,798
    One of my all-time favorite players. He was better than Jawad Williams, who had been the starter the two previous seasons, including Matt Doherty's tumultuous final year. There was no way Roy Williams was going to bench Jawad and Marvin was humble enough to play the sixth man role.

But what really makes me love Marvin is that for nine NBA off-seasons, he came back to Chapel Hill and took classes until he finished his degree. He's the first Carolina one-and-done player to finish his work to earn a diploma, and as far as I know the first in the NBA.

11. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $229
    It does not look like TM allows resale on its site for any Butler games- season ticket holders: is there no function on the Butler website which allows you to post tickets from your account for resale?? Regardless- I simply cant imagine every ticket for every game is sold- if they were, secondary would not be pricing below face value on nearly every game

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,159
    Whenever I sell my season tickets I save the PDF of the tickets to my computer and then post them on StubHub. Never tried to use TM before

13. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,086
    Not that I've seen. You can buy, transfer, or donate.

14. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,188
    I think we need to pump the breaks on all NBA talk. People were sure that KB was going pro after this year. And two weeks ago, people were arguing that Tucker couldn't play, and now he's a lottery pick (the only way I think you could justify leaving after this season)? I think both are very talented. More than that, I think both are very smart. If (and that's a big IF) JT continues to roll after teams start to gameplan for him and adjust defenses accordingly, then maybe he does leave early after next season.

Personally, I think they are both four-year (2.5 in JT's case) players.

15. NCJon

NCJon Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,798
    I am of the opinion that any player who is going to go in the first round - even after the lottery - should be starting from the position that leaving is the right choice, which can be rebutted under some circumstances.

The problem is that, even when players think they have a commitment from a particular club, predicting whether a particular player will land in the first round but outside the lottery is fraught with risk.

16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,561
    Agreed. If you get a guaranteed contract (first round) it’s time to go.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Active Member

Money:
    $360
    Especially since NBA scouts/execs seem to penalize players for being 4-year college players as it relates to draft stock.

18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,120
    Isaiah Whitehead came out too early imo. Whitehead had one good season in the league, got cut and had to play in Russia last year. I think he's back in the G-league now but he might have been a 1st round pick if he would have worked on his game another year.

Another reason I don't think this year is right for Tucker is because we will be a better team next year. The farther you go in March Madness, the more visibility you get. Ask Gordon Hayward.

19. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,120
    Two words: Elijah Brown.

SRG likes this.
  20. Delivery Dawg

Delivery Dawg New Member

Money:
    $20
    Daniel Orton only played 13.2 minutes per game his one year at Kentucky and still got picked in the first round

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app