Butler Bulldogs (12-1) at St. John's Red Storm (11-2) - 12/31

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,515
    znelson15, DawgFan, jkcdawgs and 4 others like this.
  2. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,449
    I will be surprised if they give up that many points. I honestly think they win it by double-digits, something to the tune of 70-56. That’s only if they aren’t missing the open looks from three that they should be getting.

Expecting a big game from Golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Bulldogs260 likes this.
  3. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,619
    Great read, Lukas!

I agree with the analysis. I think the overaggressive defense from SJU should allow AT to penetrate off the dribble and find an open man either in the paint (Golden/Smits) or on the wing (McD/Tucker) for some really open looks. Converting will be the key.

The Dawgs have come from behind after slow starts in several games
    Florida ahead 19-13 with 6 minutes left in 1st half
    Baylor ahead 28-12 with 6:30 left in 1st half
    Purdue ahead 11-4 with 14 minutes left in 1st half

I really would like to see the Dawgs jump out to a lead early and take the crowd out of it. Especially with the free tix for the high school kids, who will be looking to make some serious noise!

znelson15 likes this.
  4. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Active Member

Money:
    $475
    Mike Anderson is a disciple of Nolan Richardson and his 40 minutes of Hell. Expect a helter-skelter strategy from St. John’s.

5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,264
    I always thought the 40 minutes of hell died with Nolan Richardson since Mile Anderson did not do well with it at Arkansas. The game has changed a lot from when Nolan was HC and in particular the importance of the three point shot and the shot clock. But hey maybe it is working now at St. John’s.

6. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,354
    Clean up the free throw shooting. A team should be able to consistently hit 75%!

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,743
    He's a disciple for sure, which means he's a racist POS. I hope we crush him. But yes, he'll make tempo hell...we just have to play within ourselves and not get caught up in the pace they want to play.

8. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $874
    Since Heron has missed the past two games, his place has been filled in the starting lineup by a name from the past: David Caraher. Whether Heron returns tomorrow or not, we should get to see what we missed when the Caraher verbal commitment to Butler went sideways, however that happened.

9. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,232
    I am interested in seeing him play, but I am good with how that situation worked out.

10. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,536
    St John's fans seem to believe that they can utilize the tempo to wear out our team, but I don't think we have as thin of a bench as they seem to believe.

11. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $476
    In theory I would agree with you, but it really is dependent upon who is shooting the free throws. I could be mistaken but it doesn't seem like McDermott, Tucker, Golden or Baldwin have had that many free throws the last couple of games. It seems like Thompson and Nze, who are arguably our two worst free throw shooters have been taking the majority of our free throws which would lower our team percentage.

huss587 likes this.
  12. Albick

Money:
    $874
    Here's the link to St. John's' message board if you care to follow along: http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=11482.0

Interesting that one poster refers to this as "easily one of the most pivotal games of the last 10 years."

Lots of interesting comments like Butler "will not be allowed to play slow as we take them out of their comfort zone" and "they may have rarely turned the ball over until now but our quick hands will change that".

Clearly a difference in styles and approaches by the teams. Let's see who controls the tempo. One poster predicts and 82-78 St. John's win. A Butler loss certainly is possible but I would be shocked if St. John's scores anywhere close to 82 points.

13. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,782
    If they come over here they will find JN and use that to think we're all delusional also, but they ain't scoring 80 points period! (I'm predicting his post, but he hasn't done it yet.) They get to 70 they will have a chance, but I think we keep them in the high 50's/low 60s and win a close one.

14. Albick

Money:
    $874
    In the ULM game, only two Dawgs shot free throws: Smits (6-7) and David (0-1). Against Purdue, they employed the Hack-a-Thompson strategy and sent him to the line 13 times, but he made 8. Tucker and McDermott were a combined 9-10. Nze and David combined for 1-5.

Notably missing was Baldwin, who hasn't shot a free throw in the past 4 games. (He was 2-2 against Florida.)

Kamar draws few fouls. This is nothing new. This year, he is drawing 3.2 fouls per 40 minutes. During the past three seasons (in reverse chronological order), his rates were 4.2, 3.7 and 2.6--that is, he was increasing his fouls drawn per 40 minutes until this season, when he regressed in that statistic. By comparison, AT, who almost never shoots, is drawing 3.4 fouls per 40 minutes. The team leader is Tucker at 4.8 FD/40, although some of his are late-game intentional fouls. Markus Howard leads the country at 8.6 FD/40. Myles Powell draws 6.2 fouls per 40 minutes. Georgetown's Mac McClung draws 5.2 fouls per 40 minutes.

Kamar, who has made 21 of 22 free throws this season, doesn't show up in the Big East free throw shooting stats because he doesn't have enough attempts. Those are remarkably low numbers for someone who has the ball in his hands as much as he does and who has taken almost twice as many shots as any other player on our team.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    bmradio99 likes this.
  15. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,432
    And I actually think Kamar could get some star treatment from the refs this year if he would take it to the cup. Wonder if the early season dribbling-into-traffic-turnover stuff has gotten in his head?

16. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $148
    We are actually the deepest this year that I can ever remember... except at pg.
    Sent from my LM-V350 using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. Albick

Money:
    $874
    I was glad to see Battle get a little run at pg in the ULM game. Looks like he's our number 3, although I wouldn't be surprised to see Tucker used at times if AT and KB are out.

willisbrown likes this.
  18. Josh Nichols

Josh Nichols Member

Money:
    $117
    I didn’t realize the Butler Bulldogs men’s basketball team competed in a contest yesterday. I just checked out the box score. The Cobra must have played very well (he scored 16 points).

I am so happy the Big East conference play is upon us for men’s basketball. The St. John Red Storm will be a tough matchup, but I haven’t seen a team play with more heart than the Butler Bulldogs this season. Plus you can make the argument that LaVall Jordan is best coach in the league. So I will be taking the Dawgs to capture the victory.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  19. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Active Member

Money:
    $475
    Butler wins 68-60.

20. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,326
    Formula for winning this one is pretty obvious in my opinion. Limit TOs and the amount of possessions. We'll be saying that a lot during conference season. Everyone plays faster than Butler.