Butler Bulldogs (12-10) vs. Seton Hall Pirates (13-8) - 2/2

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BU_NeonHat, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,994
    I agree. Hypothetical Jack is a jack, so why does anyone on a freaking fan message board get bent out of shape about it? The players don’t give a flying eff what we say about them. If they do, they shouldn’t. That’s all I was trying to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. GoodDawgs

GoodDawgs Member

Money:
    $110
    All I was trying to say was that the funeral was for a college athlete who committed suicide. Too often all sorts of things that theoretically "shouldn't" bother people, still do. Not that the results would necessarily ever be this drastic, but why would anyone want to pile on college kids playing a game for a program that has made us so proud for so long?

dawgs2014 likes this.
  3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,404
    I’d you tried to record the 4K broadcast it didn’t have the coach mics for some reason. I had to rewatch on the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,404
    Right, maybe they should care, maybe they shouldn’t, but they’re human and they most likely will.

Who are we to say what they should or shouldn’t care about?

5. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,607
    Who said anything by the way that was bothered by AT missing practice? I don't think anyone said anything about it until whoever is trying to make some point and bringing it up. It was never even thought of as an issue so why is this even being discussed back and forth? Of course he's allowed to go home for a funeral and everyone on here understands and cares. That one should be left alone unless someone needed to bring it up because they genuinely wanted to know some detail so they could send flowers or something....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. GoodDawgs

GoodDawgs Member

Money:
    $110
    Sorry. My clumsy phrasing. My mention of AT had nothing to do with any thought of anyone being upset with him. It was because he has said his New Year's resolution is to bring an awareness to mental health issues, obviously a topic that has hit pretty close to home recently. I was trying to remind folks that the normal stress and strain of college life and young adulthood can be complicated and painful enough without the added pressure of being an elite athlete catching all kinds of flack from rabid fans.

kmacker69 and tlp63 like this.
  7. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,607
    No problem, just wanted to stop the derailment from devolving into god knows where. Yes, without having either played or coached Division 1 athletics which there are a few of us on here, the time management strains and stresses are enormous for 18-22 year olds especially at a place like Butler which does not cheat or cut corners like other numerous unnamed schools where kids don't even have to show up to classes or take tests...I can honestly tell you that is one of the best parts of being able to proudly say I'm a Bulldog that everyone on any sports team is in class and excelling in the classroom as well as on the field/court.

8. GO_DAWGS!

GO_DAWGS! Member

Money:
    $60
    Thank you!

9. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,182
    Just want to weigh in current discussion before we got back on track given my field. Do I think the average D1 athlete cares about what is said by fans on a message board? No. I didn’t when I played. In a perfect world, it would be ignored (“I play for my teammates and coaches and school not for random fans”) or used as motivation. However, in someone who is under significant other pressures, let alone classes, travel but also on another front, hearing/reading these things could be the straw that breaks the camels back - although the opinion of a random fan may not seem like a lot in isolation, in someone who is completely and utterly pushed to the brink it can have some devastating consequences - much like how a random act of kindness can do the exact opposite for someone on the brink.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bwesson15, jeff, tlp63 and 6 others like this.
  10. Doug

Doug New Member

Money:
    $11
    There is a difference between legitimate criticism and being personally insulting. To say that LJ doesn't show energy as a coach during games, it could even be said he doesn't bother to coach much during games. Or that Tucker Jordan doesn't act like a good teammate during games (and we don't have anything but game behavior to see) and could be a significant spoiler of team chemistry could be taken as personally insulting, but it is legitimate criticsm and needs to be noted.

Sent from my [device_name] using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $327

12. tedfrye

tedfrye Member

Money:
    $145
  13. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,713
    I'm not an expert at basketball, but when I was in the hockey coaching game, I would have killed to have this sort of video ability between periods. I don't think Willard effectively used the technology, but I do think that the technology could be used in a way to make in-game adjustments and to visually show the players the issues. There were a couple of times when LJ at half time said, remember that play this or that? I think it would have been nice to actually have the play queued up. Gotta believe that he can have a video guy sitting there and he can nod or whatever to have him save that video.

That said, the one thing I noticed the most was how much LJ would ask Will Vergollo for his insight. He seemed to have LJ's ear at the start of every TO. As I'm pretty sure he's the analytics guy, that's probably not a bad idea, but it was interesting that out of all of the "coaches" he was the one that seemed the most vocal. I did enjoy the little back and forth between Meyer and Crone about the seniors playing well and wanting to get Brunk back in there.

Tentozen likes this.
  14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,507
    I'd have to watch again to confirm my impression, but it seemed like the assistants did so, so, so, so, so little.

estar20dawg likes this.
  15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,182
    I finally got a chance to watch the game. What struck me was how little Willard communicated with his assistants relative to LJ during timeouts and halftime.

As for the game we almost blew it. Powell took over the game with six minutes to go. That goal tending call on PJ’s runner was huge. Could just as well been a block.

I would pull AT from offense with the game on the line. Surprised Willard didn’t instruct his players to foul AT.

16. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,108
    I don't know, we only scored 8 points in the final 9 minutes of the game. It probably wasn't a bad strategy to let us shoot ourselves in the foot with the slow-down offense.

17. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,117
    Don't get me wrong. I would think that the video could be very powerful. But when the cameras were showing it, Willard wasn't saying anything. They were just watching. Maybe he was silent because the cameras were there. Just seemed odd.

I liked that LJ took a few seconds at the start of the time outs to confer with coaches while the players caught their breath and got a drink.