Butler Bulldogs (12-3) vs Villanova Wildcats (13-2) - 1/10

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
  2. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    Looks like after a forum update vBookie is no longer showing. I'll have to look into this later. I apologize for the issue.

3. bulldogs51

bulldogs51 Active Member

Money:
    $170
    Villanova ran a 3/4 court press after every made basket vs Seton Hall. It is the only game for them I have watched this year. Is this a given with them or coaching decision based on opponent?

4. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    It's pretty much a given that they'll do that after most made baskets. It's not meant solely to generate turnovers, although they do a good job of it in general, but it also helps delay a team getting into its offense.

5. bulldogs51

bulldogs51 Active Member

Money:
    $170
    Thanks irishdawg. It was effective 2 both your points. I have my fingers crossed that Lewis pays dividends this game. Seton Hall seemed to get a lot of good looks when pushing them ball up the court after vill misses. When vill was set they had trouble protecting the ball.
    If Lewis protects the ball and gets out on the break after misses, I like bu's chances.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,650
    BU's chances are directly correlated to Nova's three point percentages in the game.

7. bulldogs51

bulldogs51 Active Member

Money:
    $170
    They spread the floor well and have a lot of weapons from 3. This also leaves ochefu a lot of room to operate. He had 20pts and 18 boards in his last game. Hopefully someone from butler can find him/remember how to block out. It will be a fun matchup to watch with wideman.

8. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    These guys can fill it up, which is why it is key to limit the second chance points. Not sure what we can do as far as guarding them. Right now, we look awfully slow and un-athletic, getting beaten badly off the dribble routinely. A zone helps some, but maybe not so much against these guys since they shoot so well. Glad that it's Holtman's decision. They do play small ball, so I would really, really emphasize REBOUNDING. Get the fricking rebound when they do miss. So....try something new....like BLOCKING OUT on every possession. Don't understand why we don't do this since we are so undersized against nearly every opponent. Can't remember if I've seen a Butler foul this year on one of our guys for "riding" someone out on a rebound. Maybe Wideman once or twice, I just don't recall. Still, it's not enough.

And, I'd play Martin from the start. Who the hell on Villanova is going to guard Martin? And if they do, that creates other opportunities. There are going to be some mismatches that favor us when we're on offense. They are small. Isolate Martin at top of key and let him go to the basket. He would need to play smart and not run over people. But with their small line-up, who would guard him? Maybe could even get Ochefu in some early foul trouble. You know he is going to cheat in. We should be more proactive and make them try to match up with us, at least on the offensive end. Dunham, too, is going to have a smaller defender. Like in every other game, but especially here, we need to be setting picks for him. And don't forget Jones either. Hey, we can be a match-up nightmare for these guys, too.

Definitely a winnable game, even if we're athletically inferior, but we play a smarter game. AND WITH SOME EFFORT, PLEASE!

Even if they zone us, I put Martin at the free throw line.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Lewis will always protect the ball, that's a given. It's the other things we'd like to see more of.

10. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $249
    As are Villanova's chances directly correlated to Martin & Dunham's 3PTFG %

11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,650
    Nova takes 48% of their shots behind the arc versus our 30%. Against Oklahoma they shot 4-32 from there and were destroyed. Against X they shot 12-25 and walked away with the game. Their dependency on the three is much higher than ours at nearly 28 attempts per game versus ours at 18-19. If they shoot like they did against X we are in for a long night. In all games opponents have averaged 33% three point against us. In conference we have given up 48%. If they shoot 48% Sunday night forget about it. Hope the zone works.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  12. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,161
    After watching the Villanova @ Creighton game Saturday and watching Butler's defense the past three games I think we should be equally if not more concerned with Villanova's 2-point shooting as the Wildcats got to the rim with ease time and time again against the Jays and made an astonishing 28-32 2-point FGs. Villanova has won their past two games against Creighton and Seton Hall while only making 10-40 3-pointers.

13. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,240
    So is our defensive strategy for this game really zone and pray?

I would rather we play man and pray we get the refs we had vs Purdue who let us play a physical scrum. Again, our best defensive performance this season was our most physical and 2nd lowest fouling game...

14. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    To your point, Villanova is #1 in the country at 2pt%... They are very good at pretty much everything except rebounding. For Butler to win, they will need to win the rebounding battle unless 'Nova is well off their normal at shooting the ball.

15. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,650
    Which explains why they had zero offensive rebounds against Creighton

16. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    Bring a Bulldog like effort and we will win this game.

17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,957
    Sorry guys, but I have no idea how to fix this. I went back and restored the old version of the forum from the backup logs assuming that would fix the issue but it didn't work. Unfortunately this is a very old modification that is no longer supported so there is no one to help with the issue.

18. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    Even teams that aren't great at 3PT% (See: Providence) are lighting it up from 3 against the Dawgs this year. It seems like part bad luck, and part defensive holes allow their shooters to get into an offensive groove early into the game.

I guess we can always hope that we are due to have a team have an off-day from 3 against us. Right?

Also, starting 0-2 at home in the Big East would be a pretty big blow.

19. xiuman

xiuman New Member

Money:
    $5
    IMO The team must match Nova's patience and discipline.

20. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $371
    Maybe having most of the students back will help? I think its bid day though... Student attendance will be interesting.