Butler Bulldogs (12-3) vs Villanova Wildcats (13-2) - 1/10

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 7, 2016.

1. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,967
    If our offense was clicking last night, we'd of won. I was pretty happy with the defensive effort.

Don't know what happened to KM last night.

2. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    You aren't going to get a better shot than a wide open Gathers 3. Calling a timeout would have resulted in a worse shot... Dunham and Jones backing up was a mistake - I suppose they thought it was going in and were getting ready to defend the last shot with the game tied.

3. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,141
    A bit tired of no "good guys" under the basket offensively to rebound or boxing out allowing the guards to rebound. They think defense before before thinking second chance offense, as noted by Thad.

4. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    Yeah, never suggested it was the worst decision. But I, too, would have preferred to see Dunham take the last shot, if given the choice.

5. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    Dunham wasn't getting a clean look at a three there. The shot was as good as we were going to get. Do it again and I might say Rose takes it to the cup with how he was scoring late. Quick foul and maybe they miss one or two.

Fact of the matter is we should have never gotten in that position. The 18-3 runs can't happen in these types of games or we'll never be in position to win.

6. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,525
    I don't think it was a case of "Ball in the hands of the wrong person, for the situation at hand"

We needed three points. Gathers was open. Gathers is a good 3-point shooter.

7. DawgsfoLife

DawgsfoLife Member

Money:
    $6
    After thinking about this game more, it really comes down to one thing -- hitting open shots. Overall, not upset about effort. Defense was great. But as has been pointed out, cannot have players like Chrabas, Lewis, and Martin shoot that poorly with so many opens shots. Trying to be glass half full today. May not win the Big East, but we are still a decent team and can become good if we figure it out. Starts on Saturday, take out the frustrations on the Johnnies.

8. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,240
    Yeah, it's natural to focus on the missed last shot, but there are other more pertinent things to focus on as to why we lost this game like the two huge runs they went on in the 2nd half coupled w our offensive droughts and Kris Dunn reincarnating himself as Josh Hart.

9. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,240
    Well we can't eat him...

10. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    I do think that the offensive droughts can be attributed to all of the effort being put in at the defensive end of the floor. Both times that Butler's had good defensive execution, the offense has suffered. I don't even think it's so much a matter of balancing that out on the coaches side and playing more zone so the offense doesn't suffer, I think the team needs to figure out a way to do both in an effective manner. If they can, good things will happen. If they can't, they can still be a middle of the packish team in the Big East, but not one that really does any damage in the post season, which is too bad, because Jones is having his best season as a Bulldog thus far.

11. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Yeah, we had a 45% 3 pt shooter with an open 3 against a top ten defensive team, idk what people want.

12. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    To not allow another team to go on an 18-3 run...

13. pitstop007

pitstop007 Member

Money:
    $6
    IMO, Butler's failure to contain Josh Hart on the offensive end of the court was the difference maker in this game. Otherwise, Butler wins this game.

14. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    Holt was asked about not using a TO stop Nova's run, said he would do it the same every time and that we have a mature group that will respond.

That's some BS right there. Stubbornness can be a very bad quality in a coach.... I was hoping to see an adjustment after the Providence game. Wright used a TO when Dunham hit that 3, then Nova went on a 14-0 run to put the game out of reach.

15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    When we play defense as well as we did last night it leads to great transition offense. When we set up on the offensive end ball movement Is not quick and sharp which may because the opponent gets set in their defense. Last night we played an excellent defensive team. I think there is some validity on the effort spent on the defensive end affecting the offense.

16. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,474
    Agree, Holt's 0 for 2 with that strategy. Let's hope he figures it out.

17. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    Fool me once - shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me.

18. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    Pretty sure gathers taking that open 3 with a score of 58-55 in a game that ended 60-55 didn't lead to an 18-3 run. Can someone check my math on that?

19. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    Ya know, if there were definite do's and don'ts stop coaching, we wouldn't actually need a coach. So while saying you don't agree is one thing, saying he got it wrong is a statement that literally can never, ever be correct, because we do not know what would happen had it been handled differently, so saying something like he went "0-2" (besides the sample size error) can never be correct.

20. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    The original point was that it should have never come to that...