Butler Bulldogs (12-7) vs Villanova Wildcats (14-4) - 1/22

Jared Grubbs, Jan 21, 2019

Settled
  1. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,575
    1st half
    Nova gave up 2 3’s on inbounds plays and a layup?
    Nova gave up 2 maybe 3 backdoor cuts for layups?

I was thinking, Wow! What’s going on w Nova, while trying to also remind myself how much talent they lost fr last yr.

2nd half: they weren’t lackadaisical on d. didn’t get backdoored. didn’t give up points on inbounds plays. Boom, game over.

bmradio99 and Tentozen like this.
  2. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,575
    • Moving forward, gotta play Brunk more and practice w him more on PnR’s. Nova went right at him when he was in the game.
    • Since our offense seems to break down in the half court w 10s left to Kamar, gotta control the pace better and find ways to run.
    • Fowler made layups tonight, Hooray! But down low, we need some sort of an offensive post threat and the OReb’s came at killer times.
    • It would be nice if Thompson and Kamar wouldn’t be the only ppl who drove the ball to the basket...
    • defensively, a nice review of just the basics would be cool. Like how to get in a stance and not let a rh person drive right for a layup. And how to close out on shooters
    • I’ve given up on ways to get this team to shoot more ft’s besides be winning at the end of games... I think the SS is great enough that we’re just not going to be able to overnight generate ways to do so
    • lastly, Jorge donde are you?

Tentozen likes this.
  3. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,159
    What I want to know is why the hell Kamar was running point for most of the game, even when Thompson was in? It's not like AT was in foul trouble (for once).

4. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,126
    If you go back to the video the double on KB's drives always came from AT's defender who just flat out always left him and if AT were to get the ball they just closed out to about 8 feet to prevent a drive daring him to shoot. Unfortunately because he is so unselfish and doesn't look to shoot first and every scouting report on us has that in there, until he gets a little bit more selfish just catch and shooting anytime we play that KB at the top of the key and AT in the corner which happens to be our go to stagnant offensive sets typically late in second halves especially good teams and well coached teams which Jay Wright certainly is will always do this. This was just a coaching clinic last night on a top 3 coach outcoaching a young, inexperienced guy. You could literally with your eyes see the adjustments made throughout the game. People on here were glad he took Gillespie out after knocking down the 3, 3's in a row after that bad dribble up turnover he had, but he went right up talked to him, taught him something and he was back in on the next timeout. Fundamentals to him mean something, not how many times you put the ball in the basket. That's why you don't see more of Quinnerly. It starts on the defensive end and knowing each player's defined role and expectations.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  5. Clevedog

Clevedog Active Member

Money:
    $243
    In game coaching adjustments should develop as coaches gain experience, I can live with that, what just sets me off are the simple things like not being able to hold on to the ball. Does anyone on this team have strong hands. Do we simply get the ball taken out of our hands more than any team you guys have seen? Can we jump once and a while for a rebound? Do we work on rebounding during practices, or is the plan to simply outscore everyone? How do we make hero ball go away? Lets see how Friday goes, it may be "dollar beer night" in all our houses.

6. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,560
    I was plenty mad after the Florida, Georgetown, SH, & Xavier losses. But I can't seem to get too mad about this loss. I was actually really happy with our play in the first half, despite being down. The 12-0 run we allowed in the second half was the back breaker. We seem to give up a 10+ run every game though - which is a big concern.

But when Pascall, a really good player - but still 36% 3pt shooter coming into the game, is nailing contested 25-footers against you consistently, it's just not your night.

The no-call on McD's charge followed by the offense foul on PJ on the dribble hand-off were big momentum killers when Butler had cut the lead to 5 after an AT 3-pointer.

"On to the next one." - Jay-Z

7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,085
    Nova decided to double up on KB by leaving AT which is why stat wise AT had some good offensive numbers and KB didn’t. Smart plan by Wright.

Definitely agree Wright made some in game adjustments that we didn’t counter which is why he is the best in the business.

We got out muscled and literally abused physically.

8. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Active Member

Money:
    $175
    We have to face facts...and I have been reluctant to admit it myself. Butler MUST have better talent...especially at the 4 and 5 positions. We ask all the time why we don't drive more to the basket. 6 foot guards are not going to be successful driving the ball...or even be fruitful on the perimeter until we get 4 and 5's with mass and athletic ability. There are a lot of very good coaches in the Big East. They know how to challenge a team's weaknesses. That is ours.

We have no athletic...strong guys with size who are a danger to drive and score....and GET FOULED on the way. The Big East is full of those types of players. We don't have them....and haven't. Martin was the only thing close we have had....and we need a whole lot more. We will not be as successful as we want until we do. It is easy to blame coaching for not being able to be as effective as we want.....and why don't we drive and collect fouls. We just don't have that personnel. Jordan must rectify this going forward. We are in the era in college basketball of the linebacker looking front courts.....we must rectify this to reach the promised land.

9. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $602
    I wouldn't say that fundamentals don't mean anything to Coach Jordan, and this is still the 2nd worst defensive unit that Jay Wright has put together in his time at Villanova, so while you may think it starts on the defensive end for them, the reason why Villanova isn't higher in the metrics is specifically because their defense isn't that good (it's actually just as bad as Butler's believe it or not). I'm not debating whether Jay Wright is a better coach (he is), but he's also got really good talent on the team, much better than what Butler has, so if Butler isn't finishing off defensive possessions with rebounds and isn't making their open looks, unless Villanova is having an off night (and last night they weren't) offensively, it's REALLY hard to beat them with lesser talent.

In terms of Baldwin regressing back to a more selfish version of himself last night, it could have been how Nova was playing him, or it could just be part of the process of a guy who still has to play a major, major role in the success of this team and him figuring it out, game by game. I'm not worried about making it to the tournament, I'm more concerned with guys continuing to figure out their roles and improving in them, because barring transfers, a lot of the guys who are playing major minutes this year are going to be back next season too.

Michdog and Tentozen like this.
  10. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,126
    I wasn't trying to imply that fundamentals don't mean anything to LJ if that's how it came off, that wasn't my intention. I do realize that Nova has way more talent and this is statistically a bad Nova defensive team, but to replace basically the whole core and new roles for guys like Paschall and Booth and Gillespie along with a bunch of yes, really talented freshman, but still freshman I think by year end Nova's defense will be a lot better than the the beginning half as they have now defined roles and just overall playing together in their rotations and just general experience for the freshman kids. I still do believe that for a coach like Nova it does start on the defensive end for him.

As for Baldwin, I think it's a combo of how they were playing him as well as still trying to figure out how this team is supposed to come together. I too am more concerned with the guys continuing to figure out their roles and general improvement.

11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,085
    Hopefully an entire offseason of weight training and conditioning will help to somewhat rectify our being physically weak. I’m not too concerned about our wings going into next year as I’m at the five and our guards. McD, Tucker and David are plenty athletic and good rebounders. Brunk and Fowler are way too slow off the floor.

Love KB but he is small ( I met him Monday in Hinkle). If he is 6’ then I’m 6’7” which I’m not. AT needs to put up a 1,000 shots a day so opponents worry about him.

12. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,126
    AT is shooting 42% from 3 this year. He's just not a selfish kid and wants to facilate, he needs to be told to be a bit more selfish and look to score and be ok with catch and shooting a bit more. Yes, he should continue to shoot lots of practice but he clearly has put in the work to make his shot better already.

By the way excluding Brunk whose 1-1 from 3, we feature 4 volume shooters with better than 40% 3 pt shooting...That's just crazy

Tentozen likes this.
  13. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $31
    We had no answer for Booth and Paschall and neither have the other 4 Big East Teams that have played Villanova. They got their 40 points between them. Booth was 8 of 9 from the free throw line. Really the difference in the game. Paschall has one of the strangest shots I have ever seen going back to Dick Barnett of the Knicks. But, damn, they sure went down last night. Mostly contested too.
    PS. Paschall, Bey, Samuels and Crosby-Roundtree are all 6'7" + of lean muscle over 220 lbs. Thought they muscled several boards from us that hurt big time with 2nd chance opportunities. McDermott did hold his own with 7.
    Don't cry for me Villanova. You are just fine having sent 4 to the NBA this year. Hope we can rebuild like that some day.

14. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,126
    Could you imagine that team if Divencienzo and Spellman came back this year...Donte Booth Gillespie Paschall Spellman with a Bey Cosby-Roundree Samuels bench let's not forget about Swider and Quinnerly on the bench as well...yikes!

15. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,837
    I couldn't believe Brando and Raftery even entertained the question last night during the broadcast of whether Villanova is a "blue-blood." Of course they are! They're the best overall program in the country right now, and I'm not sure how you can argue otherwise.

16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,025
    Paschall had 23 on 16 shots. Not a career high, but close, and he did so very efficiently. It wasn't all the fault of the Butler defense - Paschall played well, even by his standards, and some of the threes he hit, well, there's just nothing you can do about it. But overall, this is a trend. Butler has a very tough time defending skilled, undersized centers (or oversized PFs, depending on how you want to look at it).

jeff likes this.
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,025
    Champions. I don't even want to think about playing a team where someone like Paschall is the fourth option. Oh wait, that's basically what the last 4 years have been.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    estar20dawg likes this.
  18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,025
    Going back to this point: Fowler and Brunk were a combined 5-6 from the floor and neither had a turnover. They had offensive ratings of 194 and 138 respectively. I hate to focus on Butler offensive end given that Nova's offense is certainly what did us in, but I really wish we would've made it more of a point to get Fowler and Brunk touches. I feel like hitting outside shots early made us look for/settle for them too much as the game went on.

bwesson15 and BoyGeoff like this.
  19. Bernie44

Bernie44 Member

Money:
    $93
    Re going to Brunk and Fowler. Because of the way Villanova switches, there were many times when Booth ended up down low guarding Brunk/Fowler. We NEVER went to them one time with this obvious mismatch. PJ tried to do it late when he made the horrendous pass into the Dawg Pound. We are not good at exploiting or even recognizing mismatches when they happen. That is also a reflection of our bench.

20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,085
    Our three point shooters should be shooting a lot more than they are. I’m not picking on AT but we need a point guard who gets 10 points and 5 assists consistently every game. AT was good last night primarily because the emphasis was making it difficult for KB while pushing out on the perimeter. Brunk and Fowler played as well as they are as capable of playing but are not a major concern for any BE opponent. Focus the defense on KB and our three point shooters was Wright’s defensive game plan. On offense he had Paschall play man against boys with everyone else crashing the offensive boards. We gave it a galant try on defense but were physically abused by Paschall.

Hinkle Magic2 and BoyGeoff like this.