Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (12-7) vs Villanova Wildcats (14-4) - 1/22

Jared Grubbs, Jan 21, 2019

Settled
  1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,162
    I don’t disagree on what you are getting at and there were attempts to get them the ball in the second half. Discounting the bad pass by PJ there were several decent entry passes that didn’t connect. You pretty much have to get the ball directly in the chest for both Fowler and Brunk. You can’t lead either with a pass nor expect them to cut to the basket. Both play flat footed and slow which allows smaller guys like Booth to guard them.

2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,276
    The game came down to 5 TOs in under 5 minutes committed by BU. That allowed Nova to get some separation. Other than that it was valiant effort by an simply outmanned team.

3. dawgman

dawgman Member

Money:
    $77
    My biggest problem with this team is rebounding. This is a skill which can be taught and learned (which may or may not be happening). However, even if learned properly, it requires the proper mindset and extraordinary desire to get rebounds. I just don't see that with this team. Hope it improves.

EagleIan likes this.
  4. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $681
    FG's: Villanova 26-53 (49.1%); Butler 29-60 (48.3%)

3 PT FG's: Villanova 12-26 (46.2%); Butler 11-29 (37.9%)

Off. Rebounds: Villanova 9; Butler 9
    Def. Rebounds: Villanova 21; Butler 19

Turnovers: Villanova 8; Butler 9

Free Throws: Villanova 16-18 (88.9%); Butler 3-5 (60%)

Everything else looks relatively comparable, free throws were the major difference.

I just don't see how we're going to consistently beat really good teams when we can't find ways to manufacture easy points... especially when we go cold from the outside.

We didn't go cold last night, but Nova was simply better shooting, significantly better at getting to the line, and the better team.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,349
    We need bruising bugs that can jump and run. Ours can do neither. . there is skill everywhere else. But when you can't rebound and have feet stuck to the floor...teams like nova will own your ass every time.

iluvsnow and Clevedog like this.
  6. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,162
    McD, Tucker and KB are each outstanding rebounders. Just look at their numbers. After those three it falls off dramatically. I think CD will get there when the game slows down for him. He certainly has the size and athleticism. Do agree we need a big that can get off the floor and has quicker reactions. It’s painful to watch our fives getting beat underneath because they can’t get off the ground quickly.

7. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,594
    Nze is coming...He's the piece we are desperately missing this year and think Golden will get there as you could see in his tip in yesterday high motor guy

cornette33 likes this.
  8. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $1
    Agreed - I really think next year's team could be really good, and there won't be as much of a need to play Tucker or McDermott in the front court unless the matchup makes sense. I would think even if Nze is playing the 5 at times, that will allow Butler to switch on literally everything and probably be fairly effective if it includes Baddley or Battle at the 2 and then McDermott, Tucker and Nze on the wings and in the front court.

Tentozen, cornette33 and estar20dawg like this.
  9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,162
    I agree on Golden. He has a motor. Hope his response and quickness are there. He sure isn’t afraid to cause pain. I tend to think LJ knows it. Don’t know anything about Nze other than he has decent size and it in the team.

10. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,162
    I don’t see Baddley playing much more than he is now. Just doesn’t have the size or handles.

11. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $1
    You could very well be right. I think he's got the height, but just doesn't seem to do well if he's getting bumped, but outside of Baldwin I'm not sure anyone on this team is consistently.

12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,162
    I like Baddley and want him to do well but he is so slight of frame.

13. Michdog

Michdog Active Member

Money:
    $195
    There’s been a bit of discussion on our use of the 3 point shot. I have very little issue on the number of 3’s we take. I just hate that we take so many in the half court offense off the dribble instead of off a pass. We’re so much better when we shoot off a pass. Examples were abundant in last night’s game alone.

Tentozen likes this.
  14. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $681
    I do like that LaVall snuck Golden some minutes in last night. Since this appears to be a bit of a "down" season for us, I'd like to see Golden continue to get 7-10 minutes per game for his development's sake.

willisbrown likes this.
  15. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $249
    And Chris Holtman & the boys lose again!! Will those LOSERS ever win another game??? Holtman in WAY WAY WAY over his head!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

SpartanDawgs and Tentozen like this.
  16. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $763
    *whispers* they get Nebraska and Michigan on the road in their next two games too...Ohio State board has to be losing it.

Tentozen likes this.
  17. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $959
    Golden and Nze are coming next year which will help immensely, LaVall compared Golden to Andrew C earlier this season.

Tentozen likes this.
  18. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,139
    It’s saddens me that we’re talking about next season rn :(

bmradio99 likes this.
  19. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,502
    Not just "right now". Every game.

When the team wins and plays a good game Baldwin only does his dribble-forever-and-chuck-up-a-contested-shot thing once or twice. When the team is having a bad day, he does it for almost the entire game.

Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less, but we see it every single game. Not going to discuss whether it's KB's issue or if it's on the coaches, or something else. Whatever the reason, it remains a BIG problem. When, oh when will we ever see this end?

20. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $681
    To be fair, Kyle Young was out for Ohio State, and he's one of their most efficient players.