Butler Bulldogs (12-8) vs Creighton Bluejays (11-8) - 1/25

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Jan 24, 2019.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    We haven’t had that except for maybe Rotnei, but I think your sentiment is on point- we just need someone passable offensively which is better than what we’re getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $449
    I know Ron Nored was Butler’s PG on 2 NCAA Runner Up teams but those teams also had 2 NBA draft picks, Matt Howard, Brad Stevens. And won with smothering, lights-out defense and slow but ultra efficient offense.

You can be an elite college basketball team with shooters like Tucker and McDermott, scorers like Baldwin, a post player like Brunk and even, yes, Fowler. But you have to have a PG who is at least average offensively. AT is great while PJ is average defensively. AT doesn’t turn it over or take bad shots but is the opposite of a scoring threat. PJ will constantly hurt you offensively with bad shots that are essentially turnovers and the occasional overly-aggressive attempt for a big play but can also help you once every 5-10 games when his shot shows up. If you could eliminate PJs shot selection issues or AT could be the scoring threat he was against Presbyterian, DePaul or Nova we’d probably be a 5 or 6-loss team projected to be an 8-10 seed.

None of this is to say the offense is AT or PJs fault but a PG with offensive consistency would really really help the other guys play more efficiently or play to their potential more often.

3. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,966
    Allow me to also throw in a vote for “talent isn’t the issue.” Yes, this is not a conference championship roster. But right now, to me, the whole is less than the sum of its parts, and that’s not Butler basketball.

4. Xer4ever

Xer4ever New Member

Money:
    $32
    The game might be simple as you say, but managing the psyche and egos of 18-21 year olds that have all been convinced are the greatest basketball players ever is not so simple

knobcreekfan and ButlerProf like this.
  5. LA-OC-IE

LA-OC-IE Active Member

Money:
    $225

6. LA-OC-IE

LA-OC-IE Active Member

Money:
    $225
    Great post, thanks for sharing.
    You've been fortunate to experience so many great moments in Dawg history...it's not bragging. I lived with 4 players in Ross Hall...great guys. Alum or not...who cares?
    Nostalgia is good...but times change and the game changes with time. The way I see how championship teams play today not many look like the Dawgs of 10-11? Maybe I'm wrong.
    Krampelj is a good player...but i was throwing the remote.

shoeevv and UDDawg like this.
  7. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $521
    Bingo.

I think it is more than a coincidence that things have fallen apart since JT has entered the roster. Not saying anything bad about him or blaming him. Just that change does impact the chemistry of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

jarik likes this.
  8. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $343
    I agree 100%. However, I believe that is a big part of what makes a great coach. We will see if Jordan is able. Early indications are a bit worrisome.

9. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,132
    Sad to say, it is more than a bit worrisome. :(

dippper61 likes this.
  10. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,344
    At the end of the day when any HC meets w/ the AD about whether their contract will be extended or terminated, the HC isn't going to be graded on a curve. The AD isn't going to look back on year 1, 2, 3, etc and say, "well, you had the old coach's players or too many people were hurt that season. So let's throw that season's record out and just focus on the winning seasons." The AD isn't going to look up some other coach at UCLA, Nebraska, UCF, Texas, Stanford, etc and say, "well, they did better/worse and they had better/worse talent than you had. So you're still employed based on that other program's decision/expectations." At a program, who expects to win, you're not graded on a curve. You're graded on wins and losses. LaVall knows this. It's part of the business. So please stop with these stupid strawman arguments. I would much rather discuss what's wrong basketball-wise than why to fire/employ the coach. I want Butler and LaVall to win; so I hope I don't have to talk about this again.

11. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    No, that’s not the only way you’re graded in those meetings, because otherwise they wouldn’t need those meetings.

Everything is contextual. It’s not difficult.