Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,378
    Funny to see Marquette’s defense being higher

3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,237
    Is there a line? Otherwise Marquette straight up is an easy pick...

ButlerNut likes this.
  4. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,366
    Not here. I expect Butler will be favored though.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. EagleIan

EagleIan Member

Money:
    $70
    The whole season is on the line. This is our last chance against a ranked opponent at home. We need our fans to be loud from the tip the final buzzer. How about a standing O during all reviews? Keep the energy up the whole game. Fans are huge for this one.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

pappyball, cornette33 and Bulldogs260 like this.
  6. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,378
    Isn't it suppose to be brutally cold Wednesday in a Indy?

7. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    Yep - minus 3 for a high, negative 10 is the low that day (and that's w/o the windchill)

8. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,115
    I agree bro

cornette33 likes this.
  9. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,115
    Win this game butler should be back “in” the tournament as of now. Crazy how bad of a season and still mentioned as a last four in or first four out. Must win game in January isn’t good but reality is it’s true. Big game need to win

pappyball and cornette33 like this.
  10. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,057
    I agree. This is it. Too bad it has to come against Howard and the Howser bros. This is their best team by far they have had. Only thing they don't really have is PG.

How would you compare Tucker talent wise to Sam Howser? Sam's got a complete GM. Kind of reminds me of skills of Gordon. Better three point shooter

EagleIan and pappyball like this.
  11. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $846
    I think this is a must win game to make March Madness (barring winning the Big East tournament). We need a resume win, and I can't see us beating Nova or Marquette on the road later on.

EagleIan, dippper61 and cornette33 like this.
  12. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,966
    Yeah, kinda sucks when a game that should be a "no shame in losing as long as you play well" turns into a "welp, have to win this one or it's the CBI" game. But that's what happens when you lose to Georgetown at home, blow a 10 point late lead at X, and score 61 points against a Creighton defense that's neck-and-neck with Abilene Christian, according to KenPom. It's not the big games that frustrate me; it's the run of the mill ones. Butler could go 0-4 against Nova and Marquette and very much make the tournament, but they need the other ones, and I can't say I'm confident in that. Here's hoping they get it together and somehow keep Marquette from throwing it into the ocean from 3.

13. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,966
    Oh crap, and I forgot that Sean McDermott is likely out for this one, too.

14. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    Comparing Tucker to Hauser is a pretty decent one. They both had very similar rankings in their classes and are similar in their type of games. However, Hauser is better from basically all levels and turns the ball over at a lower rate. Now I think Tucker has the potential to be nearly or as good as Hauser, but he needs to continue to work on being stronger with the ball in his hands and finishing at the rim.

Now I'm not on the NCAA tournament or the season's a bust, but everyone is correct in thinking this is really the last realistic shot that Butler has for a real resume win at home, but I think overall the team just needs to show better performances on a consistent basis by season's end. Hopefully it starts to turn on Wednesday.

EagleIan, cornette33 and pappyball like this.
  15. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,378
    Howard is their point guard. Great opportunity for Baddley and David with McD out. Ha user is more consistent and stronger than Tucker. His court awareness is better too.

cornette33 and pappyball like this.
  16. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $846
    McDermott's loss will be a big one.

If McDermott is indeed out, they'll need a big scoring day from Tucker or Jorgensen (maybe both) alongside Baldwin. Those guys have to step up.

cornette33 likes this.
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,649
    The depressing thing about the Creighton game (other than the loss) is that Butler had played pretty well three games in a row prior to that. Even after Villanova, there was reason to believe that maybe they'd turned the corner a bit in the DePaul game. They played plainly awful in Omaha. Creighton wasn't any good; Butler was that bad. 0.84 points per possession against the worst defense in the Big East. That's embarrassing.

It may be the most inconsistent Butler team I can remember. Would it really surprise anyone if we routed Marquette Wednesday? Would it really surprise anyone if we got routed?

No, and no.

Shimmy, BHayden, cornette33 and 8 others like this.
  18. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,366
    This is where I think we are kind of overreacting to individual games. Road games against Georgetown, Providence, and St. John’s are all tougher wins than Marquette at home per KenPom. We have a bunch of toss up games remaining. Losing this one would put us even further behind, but it can quickly be made up.

BHayden, jeff, cornette33 and 2 others like this.
  19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,378
    The points per possession of .84 is obviously directly correlated to poor shooting. If you make shots you look good. Miss you look bad. With an inability to rebound at a high rate or get to the free throw line for free points we have to rely on outside shooting.

20. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $846
    I just think the Committee is going to look at our resume, and our key wins are Ole Miss and Florida (who we split) right now.

With there being a huge drop-off between Villanova and Marquette to the rest of the Big East, I just don't think those other wins stand out as much against all of the other middle of the road teams in the Big East (which Butler is currently included in).

It's a great way for Butler to separate itself from that group. Beating a Top 10 ranked team--even if it's at home.

I guess you could say we could still beat Nova or Marquette on the road, but given how bad this team has been on the road, that seems very unlikely.

Assuming we lose again on Wednesday, we've already lost to a number of Big East teams, so does sweeping DePaul, Providence, and St. John's plus the Ole Miss and Florida wins get you to the tournament when you split with everybody else (except Nova and Marquette, going 0-fer)?

Short of a significant Big East tournament run, that's a boat I don't want to be in.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    dippper61 likes this.