Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (12-9) vs Marquette Golden Eagles (18-3) - 1/30

Jared Grubbs, Jan 27, 2019

Settled
  1. GoodDawgs

GoodDawgs Member

Money:
    $68
    Doyle chose to write to a narrative that was convenient for him. Watch the replay. While Val did talk about the players not being connected on passes and some defensive assignments, try to find an example throughout the game of one of our players NOT being helped up by a teammate, of the squad NOT huddling after a foul, of there NOT being a celebration of a big shot (albeit a rare occurrence last night).
    Again, watch the reply. Count how many assists we would have had if a handful of the open shots had gone down, and note how many errant passes were an attempt to set up a teammate.
    Our execution has been way off recently, but the angle being pushed that the guys don't care, don't try hard, and are selfish is just wrong. They have definitely lost some confidence in themselves. That happens when the ball doesn't go in the basket enough, and that poses a sizable psychological hurdle to jump over. We couldn't do it last night. That was what Val talked about in the press conference. The situation is/was far more nuanced than Doyle's article portrayed.

2. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,159
    Technically he's Dawgs(-500) if you go by Roman numerals

dawgs2014, DawgsMD and estar20dawg like this.
  3. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,093
    well played sir...

[​IMG]

bmradio99 and BU_NeonHat like this.
  4. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $1,783
    Wouldn’t it be 1500?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

dawgs2014, estar20dawg and BU_NeonHat like this.
  5. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,159
    Yes. I did a dumb

estar20dawg likes this.
  6. bubby

bubby Active Member

Money:
    $559
    Nate played well. At times, exceptionally. He played with tenacity and spark. Good to see.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  7. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,188
    I think the bottom line is that this team is broken from the top down. The coaching is broken. The team is broken. I don't know if there's anything really to be excited about from last night.

If things don't get fixed soon, this will become a slippery slope. We don't have a player committed beyond Battle and Malloy and I'm not convinced that either one comes in and magically fixes things. Same with Hastings and Nze. Then what?

Say what you will, but recruiting is easier when you're winning. We might have to find out soon what it's like to recruit from the basement. I'm not so sure LJ has it in him to close based only on the promise of a mythical future and past-gone glory.

As much as I have been critical of this coaching staff, I'm utterly petrified of what happens in two years with no improvement and if they fire LJ. It's not like Barry has shown a desire to even interview, let alone hire a game-changing name. No, the best bets would be Ron Nored or Matthew Graves. Again, I think our Xs and Os would be better, but can they step in and recruit to this level?

At some point soon, Barry will be contemplating retirement and his legacy on the program. If things don't miraculously improve, he could be known as the guy that built and destroyed modern Butler basketball.

8. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,575
    In regards to people just joining the board, I don't like the idea of discouraging Butler fans not to post. Yeah, it sucks that they decided to make their first post after a loss, but maybe they'll come back and continue to join the conversation, but being a jerk to them doesn't help... Everyone had to join the board at some time

But maybe it's just me liking people w/ strong opinions and discussing them (although not about politics and religion)

9. alecbunt

alecbunt Member

Money:
    $66
    The team doesn’t have a leader. The two seniors aren’t vocal and even if they are behind the scenes who’s listening to a guy like Fowler? He’s terrible. Baldwin is robin not Batman. Next year should be better

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,798
    Must you work a "Fowler sucks!" into every single one of your posts?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    DawgsMD, Michdog, alecbunt and 4 others like this.
  11. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $229
    Putting it all in perspective- and trust me, this definitely feels like rock bottom- the elevator can't possibly go any lower. (can it?) Taking all of that into consideration- when I checked the KenPom ratings (while holding my nose of course), there is Butler at #52, certainly nothing to pound your chest over and definitely not a place you'd like to be, but Jesus- not much separates any team in the mid 20's through the mid 50's. I'm having a very difficult time acknowledging that there are 51 teams in the country with more talent than Butler. There may indeed by 51 better coaches than LJ, who knows, but the pieces are there- the problem is there has literally been no one to fill the void that Wideman left- Fowler isn't even a poor man's Andrew Smith and Joey has really petered out after a very encouraging start. McD is not a PF/4- if you don't have enough big men, you damn well better shoot the lights out and Butler has not done that either

cornette33 and SnoopDawg like this.
  12. BUBlue

BUBlue Member

Money:
    $29
    AMEN! Was wondering if this was a “good old boys club”?

13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,120
    No doubt, even I figured that one out ;-)

14. bumba

Money:
    $5,120
    Honestly, this is what it comes down to in my opinion. You could see the past impact that coaches like Mike Lewis, Terry Johnson, Ryan Pedon, etc. had. For whatever reason it seems like game planning is missing this year & LJ is on his own switching guys in and out like spark plugs in a misfiring engine. It doesn't mean the team is broken. It does mean something needs to change quickly.

dippper61 likes this.
  15. bumba

Money:
    $5,120
    It's Doyle's job to stir up sh*t. How else would the IndyStar get clicks for BU basketball right now?

The idea that The Butler Way is over is one of the stupidest things I've ever read from him.

NateDog and GoodDawgs like this.
  16. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,186
    I honestly thought the defense was pretty good for about two-thirds of the game, at least in terms of effort. Marquette hit a ton of contested shots, and Markus Howard is a freaking stud.

The defense just did not translate to offense and they wore down. I was pleased that they started to at least be aggressive enough on offense to get Marquette into fouling situations.

Not wild about the result, but there actually some good things that happened last night. You’ll never beat a team like that by shooting the way they did, though (even though some of the looks were pretty decent).

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,035
    I agree. The substitution patterns are crazy. Has there been a whistle without a sub? How can guys get in the flow of the game? No one playing loose and free right now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

dippper61 and nindiana like this.
  18. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Active Member

Money:
    $13
    Wow, what a stinker of a game. Marquette is good, and we aren't all that good. I'm not really sure what else to say, but I really hope we can get beyond this lack of effort and grit in the remaining games.

19. Denverdawg

Denverdawg New Member

Money:
    $30
    Markus Howard reminded me of Rotnei with a number of his shots last night.

It’s great when he’s on your team, but not much fun when he plays for the opposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  20. ButlerFan89

ButlerFan89 New Member

Money:
    $31
    I’m so happy they truly love each other... it shows in the win column. This is a basketball team and the goal is to win. Period. Culture is great and all, but end of the day, Coach on down has to figure it out to get more W’s than L’s. Yes, sounds simplified and easy and we all know it’s not, but there is a happy medium between Brad Stevens and B. Miller, and right now, we’re trending towards Miller/Sexon not Stevens/Collier/Matta/Lickliter/Holtmann.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops