Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (12-9) vs Marquette Golden Eagles (18-3) - 1/30

Jared Grubbs, Jan 27, 2019

Settled
  1. ButlerFan89

ButlerFan89 New Member

Money:
    $52
    And by the way, I’m not a fair weathered fan. Watched and supported team since Collier took the reigns and listened or watched EVERY possession since early 90’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $846
    I agree with this sentiment. Why limit yourself to not hearing contrasting viewpoints and opinions?

Yeah, maybe some of those opinions are overly gloom-and-doom and critical following a loss, but maybe those (or other) posters feel the same way about it being overly optimistic by the sunshine brigade.

You're never quite as bad or good as you think you are.

3. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $330
    But you're never far from both...

Theprez4 likes this.
  4. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,824
    After watching the game from my seats in section 116 and thinking about what transpired:

Butler has lost it's way.

5. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $511
    I'm sure I'll be called crazy, but I still think this team can go 7-2 in the remaining Big East games. That puts us 19-12 (10-8) and likely in the NCAA Tourney.

This team has 3 1-point losses against the likes of @Xavier, IU (neutral), and @Seton Hall. Yes, there have been games where we didn't show up, but let's not overreact. R E L A X.

Also, this team cares, don't question whether the Butler Way is gone. Even when they are blown out they are giving it their all. That's all I can ask from them. The shots just need to start falling.

Mad_Dawg 48, harvesting and GoodDawgs like this.
  6. GoodDawgs

GoodDawgs Member

Money:
    $112
    Actually, there are real people on that team, and from experience, I'll say that the relationships they form, the personal growth they experience, and the teamwork they learn will end up being far more impactful in their lives than the number of wins and losses. In the grand scheme of things, it really is about them, not the fans. They do all the training, and studying, and sweating. That they come out of the team experience better for it is the educational goal of collegiate athletics. If they're fortunate, the athletes get the high of winning a lot, but they often learn as much, if not more, when things don't go as planned. A coach who can guide athletes through that is a true teacher and mentor. The best of all worlds is when teams can overcome a little adversity to achieve their goals. That takes concentrated work, dedication, and patience. It doesn't always materialize right when the team or coach (and certainly the fans) wants it to. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all during the course of a season. I choose to support and cheer them on as they continue their journey. They're great kids, they represent my university well, and it's about them, not me.

Albick, NCJon, bwesson15 and 6 others like this.
  7. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,186
    Ok after nearly 24 hours, I'm still not happy with the effort as a team, but they weren't out there lollygagging around. Its the intense focus that is missing at times and why we shoot lights out at times and everyone seems to catch the I can't hit the broad side of a barn disease at the same time.

Season is looking bleak, but all it takes is a come to Jesus moment and they can turn it around. I think that isn't very likely at this point, due to how many games are left, but it takes more than one year to kill a winning culture.

I'm taking the root for the guys approach for the rest of the season and hope to see improvement. If we get a stroke of inspiration and win 5 of the next 6, I might start to feel like it might be a turn around, but just thinkin' we are missing a key ingredient or two this year to make this a team instead of a bunch of basketball players.

Might have to eat a tough year to get back on track, but I'm not worried about falling into the IU abyss for at least another season. Still take who we have over a lot of other teams, even if I had hoped for a whole lot more out of them to this point in the season.

8. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,115
    Also last post for awhile- 9 games left still big opportunities left- possible to make the last four in or a 10 seed. If not enjoy the NIT and next year we will he really good

Ps first time I posted all year without saying Fowler sucks. I’ve came along way

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,378
    Couple of weeks ago I decided to watch how individual players react and improve thru the remainder of the season and going into next season versus wins and losses this season. I'm watching to see who steps up and improves their skills and who has the intestinal fortitude to get after it. This is the time when men are separated from the boys. We are losing two role players to graduation and gaining four players. Who wants to play and win next year will be determined over the ensuing months.

Tentozen likes this.
  10. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $268
    Not sure what world you live in where you come up with 7-2 out of this:

Home to Seton Hall- Butler will be small favorite
    Away at GT- Butler will be 5-6 point dog but have inexplicably performed well here in the past
    Away at SJ- Butler a 7-8 point dog, maybe 15-20% chance of a win
    Home to DePaul- Butler should win by 10+ points
    Away at Marquette- Butler 10+ dog, zero chance
    Home to Providence- Butler 6+ point favorite, should win
    Away at Nova- Butler 11+ point dog, absolutely zero chance to win this game
    Home to X- Butler favored by 7+, should win easily
    Away at Providence- Prov small favorite, a decent chance to get a road W

I see 4 fairly solid wins, 2 100% guaranteed losses, I would hope Butler could win at least 1 of (@GT, @SJ, @Prov) but would not be shocked at all to see them go O-fer those 3

Absolute best case scenario- 6-3
    I would be thrilled with 5-4
    Slightly disappointed with 4-5
    3-6 or anything worse= let's get this season the fnck over with

6-3 gets you to 18-13, would need at least 1 BET win (very possible this year as everyone but Nova & Marq blows)- now 19-13 with the Nova/Marq inevitable beat down on deck in BET Semi. I don't think 19-14 gets the job done this year but it seems like there are a TON of very mediocre teams in the "First Four Out" and "Last Four In" category so who knows?

11. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,115
    Big east is bad this year and 3rd place is still very in reach for butler. Top 3 probably 4 will make the tourney in big east

bumba likes this.
  12. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,300
    At this point I’m just looking for improved play on Saturday and hopefully a win.

13. OldSchoolDawg1983

OldSchoolDawg1983 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $345
    Yes....thank you! There are real people on this team. Further, the invective hurled from posters here at individual players is disgraceful.

Most of us are paid professionals, and on occasion, we screw up. Fortunately for us, there is no public or company-wide electronic forum for posters to give us the business or shame us for our mistakes.

Aside from their scholarship, these players are NOT paid professionals. All they do is give their heart and soul to Butler basketball, while attending classes / study sessions, living on little sleep, and trying to get an education so they can live a productive life after basketball.

Is that effort worthy of some of the abuse they get here?!? We all know which players are the most frequent targets. Don’t assume they don’t know what’s written here....and don’t assume that words don’t hurt.

Next time you want to insult a player........pause, then hit ‘delete’ and log off!

kmacker69, Mad_Dawg 48, NCJon and 5 others like this.
  14. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $846
    I'd love to be surprised here, but I think barring winning the Big East tournament for Butler (which I'm not sure this team is the one to run the table), it's over for March Madness and the Dawgs.

Might as well starting playing younger guys like Tucker and Golden more minutes now.

15. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $654
    Held off on commenting, so I wouldn’t say something I would regret. It wasn’t pretty. They have definitely lost confidence in themselves, and are not playing with any passion, or even joy. Agree with some others that they miss KM and TW more than expected; not only their scoring and rebounding, but the edge and fire they played with. Still think there is plenty of talent there, just need to get the most out of it.
    And to put it in more perspective, everyone was talking about the same thing going on with IU, Ohio State and Xavier. I was traveling for business this week in NE, KS and MO. You should hear the griping about Kansas being 1&5 on the road so far this year, and Wichita State is 9&11! Self sounded a lot like Jordan after their loss at Texas; said it started with him, and he had to figure out how to get them going on offense. Hope things start to turn around on Saturday, and get better before I attend the Marquette game. Could be ugly there.

16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Haven’t read anything until now.

Some of y’all really need to get laid.

17. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Active Member

Money:
    $345
    I concur. Though LJ has finally seen the need to pull KB on occassion for "chats" about play/shot selection, a positive development, his changing major parts of the five on the floor every 3-5 mins kills any chemistry, flow or momentum. I would love to understand his reasoning for that approach.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba likes this.
  18. Dawg Guy

Dawg Guy Active Member

Money:
    $443
    It’s not about where we finish in the big east. It’s about who we beat and where. Right now we have very few quality wins. All are at home. The way the big east has gone isn’t good for getting high volume of teams in. It’s nova and Marquette then everyone else.

Looking at other bubble teams and they have better ooc wins and bigger wins on their resumes.

19. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,981
    Um who would that be? San Francisco? The bubble teams are all bad. We at least have Olè Miss, Florida UC Irvine ain't bad Northern Illinois just beat Buffalo are resume is about the same as everyone else on this bubble

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

dawgs2014, Lukas Harkins and Tentozen like this.
  20. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $724
    I don't know if it's selective memory or "back in the day" itis, but the bubble teams are not very good this year. And it's probably not the case, but it seems like every year, the teams left out have less and less of a legitimate complaint about not making the cut.