Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (13-10) at Georgetown Hoyas (15-8) - 2/9

Jared Grubbs, Feb 8, 2019

Settled
  1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,881
    Can't believe we couldn't close out x as bad as they are. DePaul boat raced them that last 5...at home. How the Hell did we lose that one? Would be 6-5 sitting somewhat comfortable. Grrrrr.

I'm greedy now. Give me a w at sju.

2. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member

Money:
    $249
    ButlerNut, bumba, GoodDawgs and 2 others like this.
  3. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,806
    Just posted the same thing WB on a different thread WB.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $233
    I am actually Ok with looking at these "should have won" games this year. It is pretty clear that we are going to be better next year, given that our current starting 5 is returning in addition to Badley, David and some promising new comers. I see those games as wins next year. If we were losing big on a regular basis it would be harder to see us competing for the top spot or two in the BE next year.

5. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $233
    Also, Im now excited about, and OK with the possibility of 10-8 and the more likely 9-9. Even though I sometimes melt down in the heat of an opponent 10 point run, I get excited looking forward to the next game. For me this is going to be a fun race for third.

6. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,881
    10-8 is somehow really on the table. 4-3 gets us to 9-9 in conference with a decent BET seed. That is certainly doable. 5-2 and we're sitting on the right side of the bubble. I'd say 8-10 or 9-9 is a firm nit invite while on the bubble at 9-9. 10-8 and it's hard to make an argument to keep us out. 5-2 to finish is daunting, but yesterday proved it's out there to be had.

bumba and Sidd Finch like this.
  7. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $584
    I can't see us winning @Nova or @Marquette, so we'll find out soon enough Tuesday night @SJU. I would think that's the 3rd toughest of the remaining games. Depends on which team shows up. I'm talking about both teams. SJU might be more schizophrenic than we have been.

Tentozen likes this.
  8. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    I’m actually very concerned about our next home game vs DePaul. The Blue Demons have won @ Seton Hall, St. John’s(-Ponds but still), & Xavier. Their 3 road losses have all been close: 3 @ Providence, 5 @ Villanova, & 10 @ Marquette. I fully expect our guys to have their hands full.

bmradio99 and cornette33 like this.
  9. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $249
    If Butler can win at St John's they will clearly be in the drivers seat for a 3rd place BE finish as Seton Hall & GT both have more difficult schedules the rest of the way and this is usually about the point in time when GT mails it in. A 10-8 finish is now the ceiling and all but guarantees an NCAA bid although 9-9 + 1 BET win I think gets it done as well. This is of course presuming Butler runs the table at home which if you crash & burn against either X, Prov or DePaul at home you have zero business going to any tournament. I have a new confidence in this team to get the job done- when was the last time Butler "should have" made the NCAAT but didn't? That would be never- (and no- winning a crappy Horizon League regular season title doesn't guarantee a thing)

10. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,263
    I haven't watched the game yet. Only seen the highlights and the box score. Speaking of the box score, surprised there's not more chatter about Jorge. Considering how he's struggled lately, looks like he had a really good, efficient game. But as I said, I haven't watched the game yet...

11. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,880
    Was just now able to watch the game on DVR. Just another game that makes me have no idea what this team actually is. Because of that, I'm not really sure what my thoughts are on the game. Such a conundrum. Will take the win, obviously. I'm glad I wasn't watching it live because I would have pulled my hair out.

Thought Jorgs was really good.

Seems like more than any other game, the offense stagnating was as much of a byproduct of taking forever to actually get into the offense than "hero ball." So that exacerbated the lack of a Plan B that can plague us.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  12. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,498
    I, too, just finished watching the game on DVR. They really were hanging on at the end so I watched the last few minutes again. Basically, in the last 8 minutes (7:53) we scored 9 points. Up until then, we had played okay, not great, but an improvement. They look pretty good when the ball is falling. Decent ball movement and sharing the ball....still, rebounding, overall shot selection and help defense need to be addressed and worked on. But they didn't look bad. Hitting shots in the first half. From the eyeballs, we pretty much had this game in hand throughout.

So what happened in the last 8 minutes? Deferred to Kamar-Ball. Called by the bench. Every possession, everyone looked for Kamar, and then stood and watched. Out of 13 total offensive possessions in the last 8 minutes, Kamar had the ball in his hands all but once, and that was because he was on the bench for that one possession. Of the 13 possessions, we only had 6 shots at the bucket, and Kamar took four of them. He also commited 3 turnovers and got fouled 3 times. Hitting 4 free throws and missed the front of a 1 and 1. The other three possessions? Tucker took an ill-advised NBA 3-point shot with 19 seconds on the shot clock and us holding a small lead. Bad decision. Another possession Fowler had to shoot a 10 footer to avoid a shot clock violation....from a last second dish from Baldwin who had dribbled to the paint, got covered up, and couldn't put one up himself. The other offensive possession was a two shot free throw from Fowler (hitting 1), who got fouled on a defensive rebound, so no chance Kamar could possess the ball. So, of the 9 points scored in the last 8 minutes, Baldwin had 8 and Fowler 1.

Prior to those last 8 minutes, they had actually posted up Baldwin a few times in the paint. (Maybe someone on the coaching staff read this board, because this is the second game in a row they have done that...a la Brunson.....and they NEVER did it before that I recall.) Isolating Kamar or letting him go on-one-on is fine. Selectively. But every single possession in the last 8 minutes? See above....9 points.

Nonetheless, a win badly needed. Not sure if you can mark this one up to Kamar-Ball or Georgetown just playing badly, and they surely did. Govan was a non-factor most of the game. Kamar-Ball worked yesterday, maybe (?), at least it was a W. Sustainable? I think 14 - 10 with quite a few W's in that 10 number says not. Not sure this final score had to be that close. Oh well. It is what it is, and won't be changing anytime soon. On to St. John's.

Tentozen, BUBlue and bwesson15 like this.
  13. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,039
    I’m not sure if the coaches called it or if Tucker recognized the situation and did it himself but end of the first half. Something like 47 seconds left. Potential 2 for 1 for Georgetown. Instead of getting back, Tucker stayed and pressured the ball abs forced them to waste clock and forgo the 2 for 1. Really smart play from where I was sitting. With every possession mattering these days that was something that could have been huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,881
    As Chas said yesterday, time to literally forget those two teams exist. Go, don't get injured, get your 20 point loss and get out. Providence, sju, Xavier and DePaul are all that matter. Period. Stop. Poop. Repeat.

15. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,881
    2002. That team was jobbed.

16. LA-OC-IE

LA-OC-IE Active Member

Money:
    $199
    • Akinjos stat line last 4 games:
    Butler 0-6 0-3 / 2-2 2 pts
    1-11 0-3 /8-10 10pts

#14 VILLANOVA
    7-16 3-6 / 2-4 19pts

XAVIER
    6-10 4-7 / 7-7 23pts

Thompson played well shutting down Akinjo yesterday. Without AT's defensive effort Dawgs lose that game.
    Bring it against the Johnie's AT!

bmradio99, Tark43, bwesson15 and 3 others like this.
  17. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Active Member

Money:
    $509
    If you look at butlers remaining schedule compared to the teams who are tied at 5-6 with them I think them at St. John’s have best chance to reach 9-9 or 10-8. Would be huge to win Tuesday night, if so I think 10-8 is likely

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    It’s been like that for a year and a half.

It’s great people are noticing it now, but people have been acknowledging it for a long time and people just haven’t been ready to hear it.

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  19. schoops

schoops Active Member

Money:
    $842
    I've never been one of the people criticizing Fowler. I think that he's been a more valuable piece for us than people will acknowledge. However, for the past 3 to 4 games he's actually impacted the game on the perimeter in a way that I don't think he did before. He's always been an ok interior defender. He just seems to be playing more freely lately, which is good to see.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,525
    I just posted about Fowler's recent confidence upswing in the "2018-19 Season" thread. He's turned into a bit of a beast.