Butler Bulldogs (14-1, 2-0 conf.) vs. Providence (10-6, 3-0 conf.), January 10

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Jan 7, 2020.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,799
    Thread for general discussion about the Butler at Providence game on Friday, January 10, 2020 at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence.

Just saw tix available for $4.

Game time is 9:00 pm EST and will be televised on FS1

Hopefully Jared will have time to turn this into an event...

2. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,799
    upload_2020-1-7_10-52-11.png

Butler is 3-11 vs Providence all time, with only 1 win at Providence.

However, Butler's longest losing streak is only 3 games, which is where the streak is now. So, things are looking good for the Dawgs!

3. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,065
    Biggest game of the season. I keep waiting for this team to throw a dud out there, but it hasn’t happened. If we get this one, I say the boys will finish first in the league. Go Dawgs.

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,143
    Agreed, huge game. It'll show a ton if we can go on the road on a Friday night and come away with a W against a team who owns us it seems. Big demons to try and clobber, especially after last year where they just owned us. Should be fun. Gotta love Friday night hoops.

5. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,427
    I'm glad KB has a week to rest up that ankle if it's still bothering him. As the #6 team in the NATION (still enjoying letting that settle in), every road game is going to be even that more amped up and hostile. No nights off. Gotta play with a chip.

Crash likes this.
  6. DawgFan

DawgFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $436
    Providence (2-0) is at Marquette (1-1) tonight. As Marquette lost their Big East opener to Creighton, Marquette will have extra motivation to stomp Providence tonight. If that happens, Providence will be gunning for Butler, especially with our # 6 national ranking. Providence was terrible during their non-conference schedule (7-6), and they MUST rack up good wins to be invited to the Dance.

But whatever, Providence always seems to get it up when they play the Dawgs. Gonna be a tough game for Butler. If our defense travels, the Dawgs will have a good shot.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    OldSchoolDawg1983 likes this.
  7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,967
    If BU can steal this one it will be grand theft auto.:cool:

8. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,948
    Marquette won their home opener, 71-60. Outshot Nova 30-5 from the line, and had 11 less fouls called on them. They got spanked at Creighton.

9. DawgFan

DawgFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $436
    Thanks, godogs. You're right. I edited it so I won't confuse others...

10. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,519
    I mean will it really? We'll likely be almost 10 point favorites. Don't get me wrong, that terrifies me with how we've performed against Ed Cooley coached teams in the past, but we SHOULD win this game.

fan likes this.
  11. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,948
    KenPom has Butler -5, and Torvik has Butler -6. It seems like Vegas is usually in the vicinity, but lower. So my uneducated guess would put the line somewhere between -3.5 and -5.

12. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,881
    Three of Butler’s last six losses last year were to Providence. That alone should be a motivator for the team. The Dawgs also have had a full week to prepare for this game while Providence will only have three days.

13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,124
    I agree it will definitely not be grand theft auto. We should win, but the line will probably only be around 4, implying a ~60% chance to win.

14. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,513
    Butler will have to get used to being "the hunted" now with a Top 10 ranking.

If we can't win at Providence this year though, I'm not sure we ever will.

I think we will though, but in close, mucky fashion.

15. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,155
    Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't care less how we have historically performed against a team. It has no bearing on future performance. Different years, different teams.

I expect a win on Friday because we are the better team. Period.

tyrin101, BUhoops03, jeff and 8 others like this.
  16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,143
    I 100% agree. For some weird reason Cooley has had our number, when the rest of his results have been pretty much meh. But that's the past. We all think back to last year and how they beat us to a pulp. But last year we were a banky. This year we have a different edge and toughness. I'm with you, we should win this one. But I don't blame anyone for being a little nervous.

17. Woof

Woof Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,050
    Considering Providence is coming off of an incredibly close (and ugly/fluky) win over DePaul on the road, I predict they'll get smoked at Marquette tonight unless the Golden Eagles come out flat in trap-game fashion after beating Nova. That would scare me even more heading into Friday with the flip-side of Butler falling into trap-game mode as well.

The fact of the matter is every road game in the Big East is going to be difficult. Doesn't matter who we're playing. And I'm not sold that Providence is a bad team by any means. They basically have their whole team back from last year, which includes some decent talent, including Diallo who's an All-BE player when he wants to be.

How we come out of the gate against Providence will be crucial. If we walk in and expect a win, our losing streak against the Friars will extend. If we go in there expecting a battle and bring 100% like we have thus far, we'll be good to go.

We haven't fallen for any trap-games thus far (beyond the St. John's second half), so hopefully we continue the run!

18. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,427
    This team seems pretty focused and I have a hard time believing they'll into any game, home or away, expecting a win. This should be a good week for the guys. Campus to themselves. No classes. A week to practice, heal and grow together even further as a team.

Insane Dawg and BoyGeoff like this.
  19. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $163
    Alpha Diallo can game. I guess these David Duke guy can as well? Hopefully Kamar and AT can stop them. That means guarding the 3 and not getting ourselves into foul trouble.

20. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,967
    OK, I'm convinced to change. "Escape from Alcatraz."