Butler Bulldogs (14-10) at St. John's Red Storm (17-7) - 2/12

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,406
    We are now under 24 hours away from tip-off of this matchup so I thought it was time to start up a thread. With both of these teams tied for third place in the conference and sitting on the NCAA Tournament bubble, I don't think it is difficult to see why this is an important game. Butler moved into my projected bracketology field following its win at Georgetown this past weekend but the team will need to build on that performance in order to stay in. St. John's, on the other hand, has been safely in the field for some time but they have flirted with the cutline on many occasions as well. Neither team is a sure thing to go dancing next month and this game should play a major role in selection/seeding.

From a quality metrics standpoint, these teams are extremely close. Butler currently sits at 52nd overall in KenPom while St. John's is slotted just one spot behind. Because of home-court advantage, St. John's should be the favorite in this matchup but the teams are evenly matched. In the first meeting between these two teams, Butler defended its home court and won by nine points. Sophomore Jordan Tucker was among the stars in that game for the Dawgs as he had his coming out party with 24 points on 6-for-11 shooting from three.

But, that's enough random previewing for this thread. If you're looking for potential keys to success for the Dawgs in this matchup, my complete preview is below! This could be a fun one!

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/02/11/butler-basketball-keys-success-bubble-battle-st-johns/

Also, I just posted my updated bracketology projected field. St. John's checks in as a No. 9 seed while Butler lands a No. 11. If you want to see my complete field, here ya go:

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/02...climbing-oklahoma-plummeting-projected-field/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    pappyball, ButlerNut, bumba and 2 others like this.
  2. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $992
    What will guard Heron?

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,695
    The keys to this game may be in getting SJU in foul trouble , three point shooting and the play of Brunk/Fowler. SJU is not deep and thus foul trouble could be a difference maker. Brunk/Fowler have definite size advantages over SJU bigs. However that size advantage didn't show in the first game but could if Brunk/Fowler play aggressively.

bumba, bwesson15 and cornette33 like this.
  4. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,465
    Need to take some charges against Herron. He got away with a lot of bully-ball in our first match-up. Getting him in foul trouble would be helpful.

5. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $946
    We don't get a fair (forget favorable) whistle at home, so do you really think the BE refs will actually call a game that would favor us in any way on the road? Come on man...this isn't amateur hour!

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    Please just show up. If St. J. plays great and beats us, so be it. But please don't give us the @Creighton, @UF, or @SLU showing.

Side note: just noticed St. John's went from winning at Marquette to getting trounced by Providence at home in a five day stretch.

2xDawg, mwall787 and NateDog like this.
  7. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,297
    Saw somewhere that home teams are 30-25 this year in big east. I’m guessing that’s not typical in prior years?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Bulldogs260 likes this.
  8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    Big East home win percentage is currently 28th out of the 32 conferences. So, home court advantage has resulted in fewer wins than most conferences. It's a tad lower than usual this year, but the Big East has had below average conference home win percentage in each of the last 5 seasons (counting this one).

Not sure what the reason would be. Smaller, private schools may mean smaller, tamer, student sections? Better officials? Easier travel in and out of large cities (e.g., easier to get to Chicago, NY, Cincy, Indy, etc. than West Lafayette, Bloomington, State College, Iowa City, etc.)?

9. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Active Member

Money:
    $288
    I usually get excited about Butler games but I am really excited about tonight. Very interested to see if the Dawgs have turned a corner this year or just the same inconsistent teamed have watched all year. Win this game and it will go a long way to securing an at large bid. Would love to see this team peaking come March.

WMUDog, jarik and DawgPoundMac like this.
  10. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,465
    Interesting lines from Marvin Clark. Speaks highly of Butler and almost an indictment on either Coach Mullin or the SJU culture that they don't have a similar mindset.

“We have more talent, but talent doesn’t go out and win you games,” Clark said. “The mindset that [Butler] takes and the approach they take to every game is what wins you games. Butler is a well-coached team. They’re gonna play hard and do whatever they have to do to win. That’s what has been instilled into them.”

https://nypost.com/2019/02/12/st-johns-wont-make-it-to-march-madness-on-talent-alone/

11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,695
    Could be because of parity.

12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,695
    This is a huge game for both teams. Both know they need this one to keep their March hopes alive.

13. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,081
    We had the game won last year, then the in-bounds pass to Kelan Martin. The worst play in Butler basketball history. It cost me a lot of money. I wonder how they'll snatch defeat from the jaws of victory tonight.

Butler 76
    St. Johns 70

jeff, DawgPoundMac and bmradio99 like this.
  14. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,138
    really?? did you just bet your house on St. John's or something and needed the added insurance to come on here and secure a loss...

mwall787 and ConnersvilleBulldog like this.
  15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    In a league without parity, wouldn't that mean the good teams would win a lot on the road?

pappyball likes this.
  16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    Yikes.

17. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    Hadn't laughed that hard all day. Good stuff.

18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,073
    Every conference's fans thinks their conference's officials are the worst. (Just like every fan base thinks the officials are usually against them, when that's definitely not true.) Maybe they're all bad, but some of them are certainly less bad than the others. No idea if the Big East is in the "less bad" group, but it could be.

19. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,430
    Don't know that I want to refer to that play as Kelan's fault, but yeah.
    Butler had a 95.5% win probability with 0:17 in regulation. Woof.

20. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    I'm guessing it's because of tamer student sections in the Big East.

Just flipping back and forth between the Butler-Georgetown and Wisconsin-Michigan game this past weekend (the latter during the Butler game's timeouts), there was a noticeable energy and loudness difference between the Georgetown (non-existent) and Michigan (raucous) crowd.

Granted, I know neither is a complete representation of their entire conference. There's some good student sections in the Big East, and some bad ones in the Big Ten too.