Butler Bulldogs (14-10) at St. John's Red Storm (17-7) - 2/12

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,312
    In a team sport, why is it relevant which one of the five players on the floor gets credit for a basket, or a rebound? It's stupid to base your opinion solely on individual stats when wins and losses are determined by what the team does.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba likes this.
  2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Yes, give him a break people!! His incoherent ramblings and refusal to address the nature of the argument is actually veiled genius!

We’re talking about team defensive efficiency and SOMEHOW failed to consider how off season work on drop steps affected defensive efficiency!! We’re all so dumb!!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,174
    bwesson15, dawgs2014 and kmacker69 like this.
  4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    But how many points for a 360 windmill thunderdunk?

bwesson15, Hanover dawg and kmacker69 like this.
  5. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,721
    Wow! Just stick your head up you bum and and pretend that you're smarter and better at seeing what is going on than the real numbers... Joey is more exciting, but Nate's numbers are better and they don't cross contaminate by being in at the same time, so it's impossible to argue unless you say the statisticians are purposely skewing the numbers. I love them both and get frustrated with both of them also, but I'm not blind to seeing statistical cause and effect that big?!?!! (But I've thought that it was the case on D this year just watching without the numbers also.) Calibrate your eyes to reality maybe? Saying that with a light heart, but some use your type of argument to say that Nate "sucks" over and over, when he might not live up to their expectations, but is very much a decent college center!

Metrics will never predict the future exactly, but can explain what has happened over a length of time.

bwesson15, Tentozen and dawgs2014 like this.
  6. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    It’s not worth it. He has his own facts and has no interest in trying to understand he doesn’t.

7. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,476
    I see 5 points & 4 rebounds a game.

8. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    Dennis Rodman scored 7 points a game,made the Hall of Fame and won 5 championships and you would argue that he’s a bad player.

Can’t wait to hear about drop steps.

bwesson15 and Tentozen like this.
  9. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,721
    Vs 8 and 4 raw stats with more mins played so far this year for JB... So that explains everything according to you? Peace out on this one, but you are wrong to ignore adjusted stats, just as people are wrong to rely on them exclusively. They can help explain why things happened, but not future performance... ;) (Why we are 300+ on consistency, we can play great and horrible this year!)

bwesson15 likes this.
  10. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $538
    Wow, we forget just how amazing he was.

11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    Imo the best use for advanced stats is to guide you in how you watch video. This case is an excellent example as the tape and the stats show the same thing.

With the rare exception, at this point In the season, if you have high conviction in a belief, the stats and tape should both support that belief. You can see the tape wrong, but the stats don’t have bias.

12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,476
    You're welcome to keep debating stats that the March Madness committee could care less about. Have fun.

13. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $538
    And the starters were 3-21 from 3 against St. John’s. Everyone talked about McD and JT, but KB was also 0-5. Just needed to make a few more, and the majority were good looks.

14. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $249
    Here's an obscure stat that most will enjoy- Chris Boltmann & THE Ohio State Uni just had a massive shart at home against Illinois- would be great to see Chris & Co come NIT time

15. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $538
    But they have had so many really bad games, so are they a bunch of shooters?

16. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,525
    It's very important for us to establish that we are not going to be a coaching carousel. Kids considering Butler need to know that the guy who recruited him won't be gone next season. Right now we don't have a reputation of a program who keeps their coaches.

It would not be prudent to change coaches without a glaringly obvious reason to. Being cranky about substitution patterns one doesn't approve of or, more likely doesn't understand, is not a reason to fire the coach.

Hinkle and bumba like this.
  17. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,161
    The Illini are playing really well as of late.

18. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,525
    Yeah. A real Confederacy of Dunces.

schoops likes this.
  19. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,174
    You’re my new favorite poster.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

schoops likes this.
  20. tedfrye

tedfrye Active Member

Money:
    $169
    Since when is it ok for us to say “we need to give our coach time to develop and get better?” Shouldn’t that be a qualification of the job? That you are prepared at the point of hire for highest level for which you are about to coach?
    And you should expect the same of the staff you put together?
    This is not a training ground.
    All of them (especially LJ) should be more than prepared at all times win or lose and it repeatedly appears he isn’t. As for “keeping” our Coaches? True. Important for recruiting. Celtics, can’t pass that up. Ohio State, questionable. Could’ve accomplished equal to and likely more @ Butler and it mean more. Growing in the job talk needs to stop. Or, please offer us season ticket holders a discount while the growing is taking place. :)
    Step it up LJ.
    I want you to succeed.
    Take charge, stop talking to your assistants so much, hold players accountable when the make poor decisions.
    Coach your team.
    Focus on defense and hire a top notch OFFENSIVE assistant coach.
    Why not bring back Todd Lickliter?
    He helped get you to where you’re at. Or if Penn State fires their coach, consider him.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

willisbrown and dippper61 like this.