Butler Bulldogs (14-10) at St. John's Red Storm (17-7) - 2/12

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Feb 11, 2019.

1. dawgman

dawgman Member

Money:
    $78
    Would definitely support Lickliter in place of Jeff Meyer.

willisbrown likes this.
  2. Michdog

Michdog Active Member

Money:
    $203
    Just a question because I’m interested...... can anyone think of a former head coach that ever came back to that same school as an assistant? I can’t think of any.....

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,830
    Shaka Smart may be available soon. He hasn’t done as well as the guy he replaced who was fired.

4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Stop talking to the assistants so much?

You mean that thing that every coach in America does before addressing his team during timeouts, every coach in America does before addressing their team at halftime?

Butler also probably overachieved last season, so it’s hard to say that he wasn’t at least “qualified”. That doesn’t mean he can’t, nor doesn’t need to get better, but we have extensive evidence of at least decency.

Also, if you think the upside of Butler is better than the upside of Ohio State you’re objectively wrong.

Besides your premise that a coach should be ready to coach before being fired, the entire post was just totally wrong.

Figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

bwesson15, jal8908 and estar20dawg like this.
  5. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,229
    Holt left (and took staff) at a ridiculously hard time to go hire a new coach. Think of Vall as an NBA prospect—lots of potential but has some things to work on to be a complete player. He’ll get there. And he already came with the Butler Way instilled in him, which I think we all value.

Had the same thought about Todd returning if the opportunity arose. And I know that Thad and Vall talk all the time, so he is getting some mentoring, albeit not from the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bwesson15, jal8908 and GoodDawgs like this.
  6. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $415
    Here's why:
    upload_2019-2-15_17-41-49.png

7. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $607
    For supposedly having a bunch of really good shooters, we sure do have a lot of games (more than enough to call them an aberration or outlier) where we shoot terribly.

Three potential reasons are obvious. (1) They really are not that good of shooters. (2) They are placed in positions (because of the offense being run) that don't fully capitalize their talents. (3) A hybrid of 1 and 2.

There are probably others and I would be interested in hearing them.

8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,711
    It would certainly be a reach to say BU has "really good shooters". Decent perhaps, since we are currently shooting 3s at a 36% clip. As we are all well aware of shooting comes and goes from game to game and player to player. I still happen to think this team flings them up a little too often. The limited amount of players capable of creating or driving is a big factor and because of that shot selection suffers.

TheDawgDub95 likes this.
  9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    If we’re shooting 36% as a team and we have games where we shoot terribly I’d argue that means we’re not shooting enough.

Volume irons out variance.

10. seadawg

Money:
    $3,711
    Debatable since Creighton is # 4 in the nation in 3 pt. %. On the other hand Marquette is nearly as good. So which translates to wins? Just my opinion concerning this particular BU team.

11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    And the difference is entirely attributable to Marquette having the 39th best defense and Creighton being 122.

12. seadawg

Money:
    $3,711
    There you go...

13. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,830
    Defense is the difference. We are not as good defensively as we should be. Even our two " lock down" defensive guards aren't bringing it this year. Offensively I'll take 36% from three every year. Creighton has similar deficiencies to Butler on the defensive end.

Hinkle and dawgs2014 like this.
  14. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,178
    (4) The team just has cold shooting nights & is unlucky.

15. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,066
    I said I would give the numbers with Baldwin and Thompson playing together/apart, and didn't get back to it. I'd like to elaborate more on it, but I do want to go ahead and at least post the overall conference numbers.

Baldwin/Thompson both on: -0.12 points per possession
    Baldwin on/Thompson off: + 0.07 points per possession
    Baldwin off/Thompson on: +0.12 points per possession

16. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,285
    1. Wow!
    2. What's the SS? especially for the last one...

17. Denverdawg

Denverdawg Member

Money:
    $59
    Skipping a step or two, but by deduction Brian Shaughnessy could be a candidate for the Butler job?

If Chatard’s JV team beats Butler with LJ at the helm, Chatard’s JV Coach must be better than LJ.

Because Brian Shaughnessy is the Varsity Coach at Chatard, he must be a better coach than the JV coach.

Therefore, Brian Shaughnessy must be a better coach than LJ.

Brian is my cousin, so the post made me pause.

Not attacking Hank, just made me laugh due to the personal connection.

As much respect as I have for Brian, I’d obviously take LJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Denverdawg

Denverdawg Member

Money:
    $59
    One other quick tangent, LJ was the first person I met right after my parents dropped me off at Butler. I was shooting by myself on the court next to Ross and LJ came up and started shooting with me. He asked if I was going to try out for the team and that created another laugh for all 5’11” 130lbs of me at the time who couldn’t even get off the bench in HS.

I think his talent evaluation has come a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,843
    Good shoutout to B Shags. Hope you guys are doing well out West.

Denverdawg likes this.
  20. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,066
    400, 345, and 105 offensive possessions respectively

The trend is almost identical if you look at the entire season numbers at basically double the sample size. The nonconference schedule just has a little better numbers across the board, as you would expect with an easier schedule.