Jared Grubbs, Jan 8, 2017

Settled
This Event is closed and is no longer taking wagers
This Event was settled Jan 11, 2017
  1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $11,703
    Chrabascz certainly wasn't good. But I didn't think his play was near as crippling. His energy was good, unlike Martin's. Creighton doubled him nearly every time he touched the ball, so he didn't get a lot of attempts (only 5). I just didn't think he was killing Butler out there the way Martin was.

2. Eric

Eric Active Member

Money:
    $2,819
    Ugly all the way around. "Breath in. Breath out. Move on."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $155
    Ugly game. I'll say this though - if McDermott can't get to the elite 8 this year or further then I don't know when he will. That's a dangerous team.

4. bmradio99

bmradio99 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,180
    Ah, forgot about that. I actually have FS2 and watched the game live. But yeah, the point where you picked it up was straight awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $861
    I think his coaching is certainly suspect. He's got incredible talent though.

6. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,744
    Perhaps not officially tonight but there was one play under our basket where the rebound went off him and out of bounds. Seemed that he should have gotten it.

He's just not ready for BE play. It's too fast. Too big. Too whatever for him right now. At least against the contenders. He looks out of place on many defensive sets too.

BoilerBulldog and bmradio99 like this.
  7. ButlerGoalie

Money:
    $2,744
    And that's the sad irony. I have FS2 but didn't think to record it in case of OT. I won't make that mistake again. From now on FS2 gets recorded for any late game doubleheader starts.

8. bmradio99

bmradio99 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,180
    So when Creighton was double-teaming Chrabascz, where was the open man? Feel like when he was able to pass out of it, it was like nothing happened. Credit Creighton for the fast shifts, but that's going to be a problem moving forward.

9. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,889
    I'll give credit to McDermott... I figured he would ride the coattails of his kid, and then would slip back into mediocrity one that team was gone. After a bad year, he got Watson and built a pretty good program again. This team is definitely better than the one that featured his kid.

Staxawax likes this.
  10. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,333
    Be glad you didn't tape this ugliness

Sent from my SM-G900V using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $707
    I don't know if McDermott is a good coach or not, but he basically performed the same alleged acts that our president-elect allegedly observed and/or participated in at an alleged Moscow hotel with alleged Russian prostitutes all over our coaching staff tonight. The game plan hindered the players, and they decided it wasn't worth trying to overcome.

12. ButlerGoalie

Money:
    $2,744
    The 75% of the game I did see. It seems that we played right into Creighton's gameplan. We kept chucking up horrible shots early in the shot clock. Wideman should be benched every time he shoots a three. Especially in a game like this taking these types of low probability shots will bury you so quick.

13. pappyball

pappyball Member

Money:
    $62
    Pretty heavy handed bro

14. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,138
    They are nailing it on the recruiting trail and in the weight room. Other than Patton they are all muscular and tough. I've thought for several years now that for the most part Butler doesn't seem to have a great weight program.

15. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Active Member

Money:
    $277
    Watson absolutely killed us.
    I don't understand why we were switching ball screens against a team like Creighton and the possible size mismatches...

16. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,602
    No secret what Creighton had and what they were going to do even before the tip off. Appeared that we just rubber stamped the same old game plan. Why in the world would you ever go under a perimeter screen and not fight through it when these guys shoot lights out. I would have sat somebody immediately if they didn't fight through the screen. And does Wideman know that he can actually leave his man and help defend the paint? He NEVER does, and not in just this game. Not that the effort warranted anything but an embarrassing loss, but I also didn't see much of a game plan either, to at least try to minimize their strengths. a la Creighton, who double teamed Chrabs. At least they appeared to have a plan. Doubt that we were going to beat them the way they were shooting, but we didn't have to be that embarrassed either. Reality check.

bmradio99 likes this.
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,032
    I think this is the biggest thing. You simply can't consistently overcome one guy going 3-14 from the floor and throwing it away a couple of times, especially against good teams.

Martin has been - literally - our worst offensive player in the conference season. That's not hyperbole. And not only has he been grossly inefficient, he's being so at a high volume. (The non-Martin players were 23-49 (47%) from the floor overall and 7-20 (35%) from 3 tonight. Solid numbers destroyed by high volume inefficiency.)

Martin simply has to be better for butler to be its best. Right now we are a better team when he isn't on the floor. That's a problem.

18. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $70
    Butler and X both laid eggs this week on the road. Mostly through their own poor play and effort....but against excellent teams. I'm looking forward to Saturday and watching us play well and winning.

19. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $707
    I'm not sure how much longer the Holt-Martin balancing act is going to work. I don't have anything negative to say about Martin from an attitude/character perspective; I don't know the kid. However, there have been at least 3-4 clear benchings already this year. I see this situation coming to a head if things don't change. Martin needs to learn to be an effective scorer in the flow of the offense, and that seldom happens. He is either successful outside the flow of the offense, or is actively harming us.

Ideally, Holt gives Martin a take-it-or-leave-it proposal to see any meaningful game time and he responds consistently going forward. But I don't think Holt can really do that without knowing what Martin's reaction to that would be.

This team still has the potential to be special, but that relies heavily on the Martin we saw the first part of the season.

20. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator

Money:
    $146
    FWIW, here are the player's conference only offensive ratings through 5 games.

Kelan Martin - 85.8
    Kethan Savage - 111.2
    Andrew Chrabascz - 92.8
    Tyler Lewis - 118.6
    Kamar Baldwin - 113.6
    Tyler Wideman - 113.5
    Avery Woodson - 146.6
    Nate Fowler - 152.2
    Sean McDermott - 94.0

Based on the above, Butler is fortunate to be where they're at record wise. The 2 guys they thought they would have to depend on most are playing the worst, and McDermott aside, by a wide margin. In fact, Martin hasn't had a single game where his rating was above 100 (average) in conference play, and Chrabascz has only had one (Villanova). If this continues, Butler isn't going to go very far in the tournament, Big East or otherwise.