Butler Bulldogs (14-6) at Marquette Golden Eagles (14-7) - 1/30

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,797
  2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,429
    A) Let's run. Our pace has fallen off markedly since the start of BE play. In the BE, only St. John's plays at a faster pace than Marquette. I'm looking forward to seeing if the relatively fast pace can kickstart the offense a little bit.

B) Let the NBA guy chuck. Maybe it's counter-intuitive, but we should let Ellenson shoot all he wants from outside. He's been terrible from long range this year (and he's 6-26 in BE play). He's far more likely to hurt us inside than if we let him chuck.

C) Catch the Fisch. Luke Fischer is literally the only efficient offensive player they have. Focus on stopping him, make the team shoot it from deep, and it'll take some bad luck to have them score very many points.

D) Pressure. Few teams in all of division one are as bad at turning it over/giving up steals as Marquette. We should be keyed on that. Jones could have a field day on the steals front.

E) Crash. Marquette is stout defensively and does a great job of not fouling. But, somehow, despite their twin towers, they are awful at defensive rebounding. I want some thunder put-backs from the Wide Man.

3. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    This might be the most important game of the year to date. Of the remaining games, this one is right in the middle in terms of difficulty - five are easier (all remaining home games, except Xavier + @ St. John's) and 4 are more difficult. Getting to 9 conference wins probably means winning this one and to 10 almost certainly does. (It's unlikely Butler will win all the games easier than this or lose all the ones harder, but in order of difficulty, this would be the 9th win.) Its a very winnable game - Jared's -3.5 projection is reasonable (I'd say 4 or 4.5 myself), making Butler just under a 2:1 favorite - but also very loseable.

Marquette's defense is good, but their offense is poor. Their rebounding is atrocious on both ends, and they turn the ball over a lot. Taking advantage of these weaknesses will be the key to a win. They are also vulnerable to good ball movement (opponents get a ton of assists), so hopefully Lewis is ready to go and takes advantage.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  4. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,092
    Thaddeus, I was just thinking that - this should be the type of game where Tyler Lewis excels.
    If the defense doesn't allow Ellenson/Fischer to get too many easy paint points (this is not a given), I like Butler.

BTW, anyone going? I'll be there. Looks like Trip is there too.

5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,553
    @ Hinkle and Thad-great points. I too hope Lewis can bring something tomorrow if he's healthy because this is the type of game where I won't cringe if we are moving with a good pace. I think many times this year we've gotten a little too rushed out there, but against a team like Marquette, that type of play very well could be the right thing. Make their bigs huff and puff, they'll commit lazy fouls, boom, height advantage goes bye bye and we come away with a HUGE W. And Thad's right, I'm already nervous because this is a huge game. Last Saturday was a big one, but we were very short handed and made a couple of blunders (Martin not starting the second half mainly), had to play mostly Zone etc. Hopefully Lewis is healthy and we come into Milwaukee with a full arsenal and take 'em down.

Also, Hinkle, I agree, dare Ellenson to chuck away. At the risk of jinxing everything, I have giggled at his shooting thus far. We can always adjust if he comes out hot, but, sag and see what he has. 11 am start here...yuck. Mimosas for me.

6. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,739
    Yes, I will be making the trip from Chicago. First game I will be able to catch since San Juan.

I hope Tyler Lewis is healthy. We will certainly need him. Go Dawgs!!

7. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,092
  8. willisbrown

Money:
    $6,553
    Even with Lewis out I still think we try to push. The key will be Gathers. IF we try and run these dudes out, he's going to have to spell Jones here and there. Jones can't go more than 32-33 minutes at that pace. Jesus, if Gathers can give us strong minutes at PG just a bit, we can still play quicker and try to wear them down. I don't know what happened to Lewis or how serious this is, but being out, in hoops, over a week now with a concussion is no bueno. Hopefully this is still very much precautionary and nothing too serious.

And Holt-Keep Martin in the starting lineup tomorrow. Please don't f with that.

9. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,634
    I'll be there. Always try to make the Marquette game. Having Depaul just win there makes me feel a LITTLE more comfortable but it is still going to be a tough game. Big game for us - - need the w.

How long is a player out with a concussion? I believe this is Tylers third game out, correct? (Not that I want him rushed back - just curious).

10. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    I just looked it up. Apparently the normal recovery time is 7-14 days. Tomorrow will be day 10, I believe, and yes the third game missed.

11. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,429
    From what I understand, they go through a protocol similar to what you may have seen/heard in football. Until they pass all the criteria for that, they are out. No set timeline.

12. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,033
    I don't like the idea of Martin starting......we lose all scoring off the bench.

13. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,218
    I wouldn't count on Gathers for much of anything anymore. His game has deteriorated rather markedly as the season has progressed.

14. willisbrown

Money:
    $6,553
    In a perfect world, sure. But with no Lewis, I think we lose flexibility and we have no choice but to put our best 5 out there to start both halves. There are no other options unless they want to start AE at the 3 (No) or Gathers (that didn't go so well)....Lewis, although I believe he hasn't been as advertised, still gives this team SO much more flexibility with lineups. With him out, it really limits the mixing and matching so I just say roll out your best 5 and go after it. JMO.

15. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    Opening line is -3.5. If Lewis is clearly, it probably goes to -4.5. Otherwise, I doubt it will move much.

16. willisbrown

Money:
    $6,553
    Damn, Jared nailed it on the head. I hate it but my book doesn't come out until like 1201 of that day. So, nothing on my board yet. Marquette money line is going to be my play, and I hope it's dead wrong. But, Lately, luck has struck me. Which means tomorrow I'll get killed. Haha.

Regardless, I'm going to have some fun tomorrow. My uncle is on his death bed, everyone is up my ass to handle all responsibilities family wise while this is going on, so I have nothing better to do than gamble. This whole week has turned my social life to ****. I'm taking care of four kids, an 89 year old and a dog. Lord help me. Time to at least entertain myself.

17. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,033
    I still find it amusing that people are disappointed with Lewis....... We haven't run any kind of offense that can remotely highlight his skills. Having everyone stand around the perimeter and then relying on Martin and Jones to go one on one will not give him the ability to distribute the ball and get assists.

It would be like saying you would be disappointed with a player like Jason Williams if the NBA teams he played for only ran a half court set with absolutely no motion. I'm not saying Lewis has the same handles as Williams, but you get the point, I hope.

18. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,634
    Anyone going to the historic 3rd world before the game? Last year ran into Blue III and MK before the game.

19. willisbrown

Money:
    $6,553
    I don't think this particular roster as constructed plays to his game. Will next year be better? Hell if any of us know that at this point, but I think this team has the skill set/roster to where Lewis cannot excel, which has led to disappointment. I can only speak for myself when I say that I was hoping with he at the point, it would move Jones off the ball and open up the whole offense. But, the exact opposite has happened. Jones is on the ball damn near as much as ever (speaking to before the concussion) and that hurts what Lewis can bring to the table. Plus you have a big time scorer in Dunham, a one on one guy like Martin (much like Jones) and not much skill inside. All of that leads to an underwhelming performance from a true PG.

It will be interesting to see, come next season, with the guards coming in and Jones/Dunham heading out, if things open up a little and he can excel. The way things are this year, it almost makes him a spot up shooter, which he isn't, instead of what we were hoping for which is a "run the show" type to help the others. Still though, like I said earlier, having him available adds flexibility, without, it's a tight ship.

20. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $268
    This is not the time to fuhk around- Butler needs to come out tomorrow at the start of both halves guns ablazing!!! That means Martin starts- you have Gathers, Etherington, Davis & Fowler to all give you minutes as needed. No way in hell you start Gathers!!