Butler Bulldogs (15-1) vs. Seton Hall Pirates (12-4)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Jan 12, 2020.

1. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,065
    Hall 4-0 in conference; Dawgs sitting at 3-0. No question the biggest game of the year up to this point. Man, I’ve been saying that about every game lol.

Hall is a good team with players that play for their coach and the name on their chest. Luckily, it’s Kevin Willard. I’ll take the Dawgs by 7. Seton Hall is too out of control on offense, and that should help BU seal the victory.

tyrin101, HoosierDawg and NCJon like this.
  2. noltar

noltar Well-Known Member

Money:
    $692
    Big time game obviously. Hall will be ranked come tomorrow, great time to pick up a win on a top 25 team (not that it matters that much, the important numbers speak for themselves). Not expecting to win in Jersey as of now so important to snag the win at Hinkle.

jkcdawgs and seadawg like this.
  3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,967
    A lot of "ifs" in this matchup. No question Seton Hall is rolling currently. The Pirates have been know to put up some ill-advised shots, but can BU match their firepower if shots are falling? Can BU continue to dictate pace? Can BU slow down Powell? Will BU elect to defend others and let Powell get his points? Can BU keep the Pirates off the glass? It will be on hands on deck for this one. LJ should have the advantage but the Pirates might make Willard look like a genius? Talk about a contrast in styles. If BU is to win or share the BE title, holding serve at home is vital against a team loaded with talent.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    jkcdawgs likes this.
  4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,902
    I’m worried about that 7’2 dude Hall has in the middle. Yikes. Butler might need to use Smits a lot. Hopefully he’s ready.

OldSchoolDawg1983 likes this.
  5. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Well-Known Member

Money:
    $524
    I’m predicting a blowout. Dawgs win 83-57 and establish their dominance in BEast.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerFan89 likes this.
  6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,881
    Powell like KB can virtually take over a game. SH has rim protectors and we don’t. I think our wings are a tad better. Playing at home. This ranks with the top if not the top BE game ever played in Hinkle. Toss up.

7. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    I just don't understand posts like these.

dawgs2014 and bmradio99 like this.
  8. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $496
    Stupid takes like predicting us to beat Seton Hall by 30 are inherently impossible to comprehend. It's like trying to understand the incessant squeaking of a seagull. Not much thought behind it

tlp63 and 2xDawg like this.
  9. the missing link

the missing link Member

Money:
    $88
    That is a very deep and mind blowing comment. To do is to be (Aristotle). To be is to do (Plato). Yabba Dabba Do (Fred Flintstone). Do be do be do (Frank Sinatra). DM me and we can discuss Descartes philosophy of life. Dawgs by five over the Pirates. Go Dawgs!

10. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,515
    Well I’d say this no one can stop Powell but I think butler has the best chance to contain him. I think we can throw AT KB and CD at him at times and play straight up I don’t think other teams have that ability. With that being said if Powell is cooking we will need to change it up but if I were to start the game I’d let AT go 1 on 1 and If he can contain them I think butler will win this game by 7-10 points

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $520
    A few thoughts prior to the Seton Hall tip.

When Mamukelashvili went down, I thought that the Hall may struggle. I was wrong. Coach Willard has simply made them a perimeter oriented, fast attack team.

Looking at their schedule thus far, they have faced good defenses in the following games: Home: MSU (3 point loss), Maryland (4 point win) Road: @ Xavier (12 point win) and Neutral: Oregon (2 point loss). Against good defensive teams they are 2-2. Thus far in the BE season they have played @ DePaul, Vs Georgetown, @ Xavier and Vs Marquette. The sole BE win that really sticks out is the win @ Xavier. The other wins are good wins, but against what will be the lower half of the BE.

In analysing the Hall, do not forget the impact of two players beyond Powell. Quincy McKnight when on top of his game is an excellent passer and lights out shooter (when on). He has been instrumental in setting up Powell and the front line. So too, don't forget the other Myles...Myles Cale. When on, he can be the third threat and option that the Hall needs to be effective.

If Butler's defense can contain Powell, keep McKnight from setting up the easy scores for the Hall big men and slow down 1) the Halls transition game and 2) dibble penetration than they should win this game. If Butler's defense has an off day and one of the 3 Seton Hall strengths above occur, it may be a rough day at Hinkle.

For me, I am confident that Seton Hall has yet to play a defense even close to the strength of Butler's. Nearly every team Butler has played thus far has had their coach admit as much in post game. That combined with a crazy Hinkle crowd should make for a difficult Seton Hall experience on Wednesday evening. All in all, it will be a battle of the BE TItans.

Go Dawgs!

12. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,203
    McKnight is right up there with AT and KB as the cream of the crop perimeter defenders in this league. He's going to be following KB closer than campus police follows Xavier basketball players, so we are going to need to get more looks for McD. I also think this will be another crucial JT game...he looked like a top 50 player in the PC game and I think we will need it again. LJ will need to throw AT, KB, and CD at Powell and Cale because those guys can fill it up no doubt. Should be a great game and Hinkle should be rocking.

13. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,342
    I'm hoping this is one of those games where you get the traditional Butler SR unexpected step up in a big spot game from Baddley. Would be huge if he could come in and throw some extra length at Powell while giving AT and KB a chance to catch their breath and give a little more effort on the offensive end.

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,124
    I've heard others express this view. I haven't watched enough of Hall to have an independent opinion. But just looking in the numbers, it doesn't seem right. Of the ten Hall players who have played real minutes, he's seventh on the team in both defensive box plus/minus and defensive rating.

15. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,126
    During the Seton Hall/Marquette game, the announcers said Mamu would be evaluated today with a chance to return soon. Not sure if he'll be ready for Wednesday or not.

16. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,215
    He hounds the hell out the opposing point guards. He's not as good as AT in controlling them and forcing them where he wants them, but is right up on them and if they dribble loosely at all he picks them.

17. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,435
    Nobody is talking about Seton Hall's defense, and that worries me.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  18. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $520
    Excellent point! The Hall is 10th on Kenpom defensive efficiency, four spots below the Dawgs. Having said that, they have NOT played the schedule that Butler has thus far into the season. We shall see how those Kenpom numbers shake out in reality in 48 hours. Thoughts?

19. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,126
    I'm pretty sure Seton Hall has played a harder schedule than Butler has.

20. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,220
    Yeah, they're at #7 SOS according to KenPom, we're #42.

https://kenpom.com/index.php?s=RankSOS

seadawg, MSUDawg, bmradio99 and 2 others like this.