Butler Bulldogs (15-1) vs. Seton Hall Pirates (12-4)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,432
    Seton hall was good but I think some of you are overreacting to how good they really are. They hit shots tonight I don’t think they normally do. That will easily be one of the best games they play all year. I’d pump the brakes on crowing them id honestly take Nova and Butler before them.

AT makes us go
    Tucker has arrived
    KB cost us tonight( has won us many)
    Golden goes 5/9 we win
    Nze has gotten to many min

I’d like to see more AT KB Sean tucker and golden- it didn’t work last season but we have a new Jordan tucker who seems to have arrived and McDermott and AT both took major leaps

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

DawgFan likes this.
  2. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,945
    Actually surprised the meltdown wasn’t as bad as expected.

Still not sure what to think. While not a must win, I do think a strong bounce back game Saturday is vital to restoring belief in this team. It’s not ideal to have 3 of 4 on the road. The next couple of weeks could go a long way to deciding our March Madness fate.

No matter what, it’s been a great year now let’s finish strong.

bumba, NCJon and dippper61 like this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,458
    I think people recognize a good team and just say "you know what, you were better than us tonight" vs Butler throwing out a complete egg. We were ok and they were better. It happens.

Also I think there is so much to like with this team that a loss doesn't cause a meltdown. Now, 2-3 in a row, we'll all get restless. But for now it was a night where we were ok, not at our best and the other team was simply better. Very high level game.

DawgFan, bumba, tlp63 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,679
    Myles Powell and Gill combined scored 34 points in the second half to Butler’s 30. In the first half those two scored 12 points combined. There’s the difference in the all game. We had no answer for those two.

5. huss587

huss587 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $419
    To me this game was Exhibit A for the “Aaron Thompson is the most important player to the team” argument. Completely different circumstances and level of opponent, but I can’t stop thinking of the 2012-13 A10 game we dropped @ Charlotte when Andrew Smith was injured. Maybe it’s selective memory but, this loss sticks out the same way that one did. That team won games without Rotnei and we’ve won games with KB injured or contributing little this year. AT plays 16 minutes in the 1st half, we go in up 10... He plays 3 minutes in the 2nd, we lose (the half) by 18. Both games proved who “stirs the drink”.

Onto Saturday, which worries me... I trust my fellow Chicago Dawgs will be out in full force but, DePaul has played everyone close in conference and is desperately needing a W. This team has answered the bell multiple times when they’ve been tested thus far. I hope they match DePaul’s desperation and then some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denverdawg, Shimmy, bumba and 6 others like this.
  6. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,960
    Thompson deserved the fouls he received. BU needs AT on the floor more than 19 minutes in this game. BU needs both it's veteran guards. Learn and move on.

DawgFan, shoeevv and BoyGeoff like this.
  7. dawg767

dawg767 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $511
    Hopefully this loss will not jeopardize Luke Brown's imminent commitment.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,620
    I still have a major issue with the leg kick to initiate contact on a three-point shot. Powell did it once, if not twice, last night. The NCAA should start treating this like flopping.

I think that, strictly interpreted, it’s within the rules, but it’s just a crap loophole in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

dawgs2014 and Geoffrey Bannister like this.
  9. Seton Hall 1968

Seton Hall 1968 New Member

Money:
    $12
    This was a great game and SHU was lucky to win. I hope we are in different brackets in the NCAA. One point that Butler fan postings missed is that SHU has good depth at guard. Reynolds (#33) is a former walk-on and is a high energy defender. With McKnight (#O) and him playing tag team on the other teams key guard, it is a long night for him. #33 will play more minutes near the end of the first half and in the second half and tire our and discourage an opponent's starter, so that legs are less explosive and shots fall short due to fatigue. In the 4th quarter of the Marquette game, Howard was gassed but still had an smothering energizer bunny in his grill. You could see him getting discouraged. There is also a good point guard Nelson(#2) , who should be starting material but only gets a few minutes. He spells McNight and Powell, gives them rest before their fatigue builds up to where it is hard to recover. He also plays a different style, as a pure point guard, and this gives a different offensive wrinkle that the opponent has to adjust to. ..... A big part of the SHU win, was that the pressure on your point guard got him in foul trouble and the backups were then a weakness.

bumba, BoyGeoff and knobcreekfan like this.
  10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,949
    I think this loss is actually really simple. We’re a good team when we make opponents uncomfortable. In the second half we allowed 48 points to a clearly very comfortable opponent.

Part of it was that we also clearly failed to control the tempo for the first time. I don’t think it’s a coincidence this happens when we lose our point guard and best defender.

Thompson has to be smarter, and I don’t think we can play Smits as much as we did. He just got punked over, and over and over again.

The fix is not far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

11. tedfrye

tedfrye Active Member

Money:
    $267
    Hinkle Magic 2. Your post is longer than David Woods and Gregg Doyle’s articles in the Indy Star!!!
    Geeezzz!

12. tedfrye

tedfrye Active Member

Money:
    $267
    And you just cannot go to sleep defensively (Nze) with 2 seconds left on the shot clock and the game on the line. Not the first time it’s happened. (Providence last year). Instead of a stop and a chance to win it’s game over.

jkcdawgs likes this.
  13. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,800
    Anybody else think Nze has sucked the last 6-8 games? Untimely turnovers. Can’t finish around the rim. Getting lost on D. It’s disappointing after his hot start.

Clevedog and UDDawg like this.
  14. jvoigt

jvoigt Active Member

Money:
    $124
    I think Nze played better when we were playing lower level competition earlier in the season. Now that the conference season is underway the players he's up against are bigger and stronger.

15. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Active Member

Money:
    $475
    haircut disappointment

bumba and knobcreekfan like this.
  16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,972
    I suppose it's only fitting that he hit the game-icing three against us.

bwesson15 and OldSchoolDawg1983 like this.
  17. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,686
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Definitely a defensive hiccup by us, but it stings even more after hearing Willard say that Roden did the opposite of what he was supposed to do on the inbounds play.

18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,972
    I hadn't seen that. Great. So, it's possible Nze/Baldwin had seen the play and expected Rhoden to do something different.

Regardless, I mean, I get you don't want to leave anybody wide open in that situation, but with the weapons Hall has, you just can't make taking away a three point attempt by a 22% three point shooter a priority. Oh well. Basketball is weird sometimes.

Shimmy, bwesson15, dawgs2014 and 3 others like this.
  19. huss587

huss587 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $419
    To your point, it was a defensive lapse and wasn’t part of our defensive scheme, but if the guy who’s a 25% career 3 pt shooter hits the dagger... I can live with it, if that means someone besides Powell got us.

SJU doubled KB and he kicks it to a wide open David for the win on New Years Eve... Sports are weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,432
    I just don’t think he’s a BE player. He can be effective at some times with his motor but that’s it. He’s a horizon league guy. Everytime we’ve played a good opponent he’s struggled. I’d really like to see more tucker McDermott at 3-4 with Smits or golden because Jordan Tucker has arrived.