Butler Bulldogs (15-1) vs. Seton Hall Pirates (12-4)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Jan 12, 2020.

1. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,782
    I fully expect one loss to Seton Hall this year, here's hoping to that it is later in the year at there place with Manu back.

Insane Dawg and jkcdawgs like this.
  2. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,852
    Probably two close calls, but two W's in the end.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. BU Fan in Illinois

BU Fan in Illinois Active Member

Money:
    $195
    Oooooo that smell

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2xDawg and MIBulldog like this.
  4. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,956
    FWIW, when 2 equally rated teams play each other, the home team wins about 2/3 of the time. Looking at KenPom it seems 62% is the number there.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

troggy likes this.
  5. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,517
  6. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,461
    Not sure why, but their board seems more interested in their game at St. John's than their game against us. Hopefully their team is looking ahead to MSG too.

7. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,449
    Nobody wants to be the next adkCuse

NCJon likes this.
  8. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $915
    I am nervous about this game
    Mainly because i have a window to watch the game and the dawgs have been doing great with me watching via ESPN game cast

Either way you have to hold home court here to have a shot at the big east title, it’s what the good teams do

But I have a feeling we may get powelled, also golden may go off for twenty so who knows :)

9. LA-OC-IE

LA-OC-IE Active Member

Money:
    $244
    I agree w Hark's Bark....I look for Smits best game yet as a Dawg. In addition to Ike and Gill... Samuels is near 7'.
    One of the Bryce's will probably see foul trouble.
    Bet you a dollar to a donut fouls will accumulate on those who guard Powell too.
    Baddley and Battle going to see plenty of p.t....just hope our free throws are falling and they're hod carriers.

10. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,070
    Do we have an offensive plan to get good looks against their length? Can we execute it?

If we have a plan and can execute it, I am confident the defense will put us in a position to win unless Powell goes nuclear.

If we don’t have a good plan and/or can’t execute it, we will lose unless Baldwin goes nuclear.

11. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,449
    Use roughly the same game plan as against Purdue from an offensive look. They’re probably most comparable from a height and 1-5 look of anyone Butler has played thus far.

12. DawgFan

DawgFan Active Member

Money:
    $403
    Great article. Lukas. Thanks.

My biggest concern in this game is potential foul trouble for our guards. I hope Baldwin and Thompson do not pick up early fouls. Defending Powell without fouling is not an easy task. Baddley and Battle may be key to not only throwing different defensive looks at Powell, but also protecting Baldwin and Thomson from excessive foul trouble.

13. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,183
    Pretty sure without Haarms, Baylor not Purdue was the biggest team we've faced so far, they had that Vital and Gillespie who were just beasts

BoyGeoff, ButlerNut and pjohnsto2003 like this.
  14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,518
    For what it's worth, Seton Hall is number one in the country in "effective height" on Kenpom, which is a measure of the size of the center and PF positions. Purdue is third, but of course that counts Haarms, and he didn't play against us. Baylor is only 133.

Not counting Purdue, Minnesota is actually the second highest rated in "effective height" that we've played; they rank 60th. Stanford is third, and they're ranked 63rd.

So, this will be a unique test for the offense in dealing with the size down low.

15. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,183
    Fair enough, maybe I just have nightmares of every time we took it down low and got swatted, I guess maybe Providence has had the most height we've played, but it wasn't athletic, effective basketball height, their bigs never scared me like a Baylor or Oturu

16. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $141
    Aka Smits might be playing a decent amount on Wednesday?

17. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,265
    SHU will be the toughest team we will play all year in trying to score around the basket. They have rim protectors we can only dream about. I’d be far more than pleasantly surprised if Smits will have much effect.

18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,518
    Maybe counter-intuitively, their being huge down low may mean it's the right game to mostly play Golden. Why let them camp down there with Smits and easily play help d when we have a driver? Pull them out with Golden.

I think you run with Smits when the other team has an under-sized center you can try to abuse.

fdr, Eric, 2xDawg and 8 others like this.
  19. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,744
    I like the idea of really attempting to use Golden to draw out a big or two. He's got a damn good face up game. Use it. Run sets early for him. Even if he misses you are kind of in their head that you are willing to run your five to the perimeter and let him launch away. They'll have to honor it.

BulldogCTM, Tentozen and bmradio99 like this.
  20. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,121
    Yes, this. The object, when you have lineup flexibility, is not to try to look exactly like your opponent. It's to look different and exploit weaknesses. Seton Hall's obvious advantage is their size, and no lineup Butler throws can be better than theirs in that regard while still maintaining balance. I agree with Hinkle - force Hall to play Butler's game, which can mean a more mobile Golden...among other things. I love that Butler can win in slightly different ways.

seadawg, Shimmy, 2xDawg and 4 others like this.