Butler Bulldogs (15-11) at Marquette Golden Eagles (24-3) - 2/20

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $982
    I think we all know that this is going to be a very very very tough game. Marquette is clearly one of the top two teams in the Big East and they do a lot of things well. Unlike years in the past, this Golden Eagles team can lock in on defense while also lighting it up on the offensive end of the floor. It seems unlikely that the Dawgs will be able to pull this one out but it would be a massive win for the NCAAT profile.

With the way the rest of the bubble is playing at this point in time, Butler would move into just about everyone's projected bracketology fields with a road victory over Marquette. Heading into this matchup, the Dawgs are in the Last Four In of my bracketology while sitting just on the outside-looking-in on the Bracket Matrix.

Hopefully this is a fun one and we can see some celebratory posts prior to the clock striking midnight this evening. As always, you can find my preview for the game below.

Butler Basketball: Keys to success in road opportunity against Marquette

kmacker69 likes this.
  2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,343
    This is a tougher match up for us than Nova. Don’t see a win tonight unless we shoot threes like the last game and Howard gets the flu.

GoDawgs200 likes this.
  3. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,017
    Butler: 63, Markus Howard: 37, rest of Marquette: 38.

In all seriousness, we have to keep the others in check. The Hausers and Anim need to combine for about 15 or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. GoDawgs200

GoDawgs200 Member

Money:
    $72
    jeff and DawgPoundMac like this.
  5. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $533
    What happened to the lookalikes? Maybe I missed something.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,899
    Why can’t we run our best 3-point shooters (McD, Tucker, etc.) off multiple screens to free up open shots. This motion offense just gets you 1 screen so either you’re open or you pass and cut. Just a thought. Howard is going to get his 30. We simply have to shoot lights out. Made baskets not only put points up, but also prevent transition points. Marquette and ‘Nova - loss. Providence x 2 and X - wins. Playin game in Dayton. See you there!

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,491
    a la Archey….who wasn't athletic enough to create his own shot. Someone needs to look at the Louisville vs. Butler NCAA Tournament tape and see how they set multiple screens for their shooters. That's how you can beat more athletic, undisciplined teams, rather than trying to play their game. Plenty of decent spot up shooters on this team. Not so many shot creators.

8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,588
    On one hand yes, running complex actions can effectively set up shooters to get open shots.

On the other hand, the more complex and set driven offense that your offense is, the more predictable you are. The more predictable you are, the easier to prepare for and defend you are.

The more an offense is based on reads, the more intuition is required (and I don’t think we excel there) but in theory should allow players to best maximize their abilities and capitalize on mistakes.

GoDawgs200 and OldSchoolDawg1983 like this.
  9. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,674
    Just quite after the GT game, but we were in a pretty low section of the season. Bet they show back up for the NCAA's. (This year or next.)

Ster8462 likes this.
  10. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,885
    While yes, it does suck to get excited about a down period, it was merely a coincidence. The truth is more prosaic, we recently bought our largest competitor and I'm swamped with work. Yay, job security!? Anyhow, with work and hockey, I haven't had the time to produce the quality that I hold myself to, so it's just sort of on pause right now.

That and I'm sort of on a self-imposed posting ban to save my sanity and all of yours... They will return at some point, if people are still interested, just don't know when.

11. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,343
    Offense doesn’t seem to be a major problem if we are hitting shots. Biggest problem to me is on the defensive end. We can’t contain or even slow down guys like Shus, Paschall, Powell or Howard.

Sidd Finch, estar20dawg and dawgs2014 like this.
  12. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $298
    Totally agree, offense generally isnt a problem if the ball goes thru the hoop when they shoot it. JK

IndyDawgs, DawgFan and UDDawg like this.
  13. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,632
    I normally do not make predictions...but today I have a gut feeling. The team that scores the most points will definitely win.
    Please do not quote me on this later, if I am wrong.

14. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    The line is 6...Oy vey.

Take the fighting former crean and wades. Marquette 81...butler 69. 6 easily covers. Free money is amazing.

15. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,072
    The first 3 minutes will likely determine the outcome ... If we can hit the 3-pointer and Howard picks up two quick fouls, it could get interesting. Otherwise, it's a blowout loss.

16. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,674
    I think again that we need to get Theo John out of the game and the middle opens up... Once we can drive and not get it sent back into our faces, everything else opens up. Let Howard get his 30, but keep the Howsers and Scar under 10 and we win unless Howard gets 40+... (Not easy and we don't play decent D if the shots aren't falling, so hope for the 3s to fall from us and clank from them!)

bumba likes this.
  17. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $533
    Up to 7.

18. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,650
    No betting for this one on the forum?

19. tedfrye

tedfrye Member

Money:
    $160
    No matter what happens tonight I.U. still lost last night! (again).

Eric and Insane Dawg like this.
  20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,772
    There may be no game this regular season where the tournament implications (positive or negative) are greater than tonight’s.

Despite that, this team has given no choice but to mentally prepare for a no show.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    tedfrye likes this.