Butler Bulldogs (15-11) at Marquette Golden Eagles (24-3) - 2/20

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Feb 20, 2019.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,475
    Cooley has done less with more than almost any BE coach out there.

estar20dawg likes this.
  2. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,339
    While I agree and think this is true, he has also been there long enough where it’s his/his staffs fault that there isn’t more if that’s the case. The coach has almost complete control over his roster construction in college basketball so you can overachieve as an in-season coach but if he’s doing “more with less” then he’s doing an average job because he’s getting that “less”.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  3. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,710
    So you came on here just to say were stupid, delusional, and have no competent basketball IQ if we don't agree with you on your first post. Thanks for that and welcome to the board I guess?!?!? :rolleyes:

pappyball likes this.
  4. GoDawgs200

GoDawgs200 Member

Money:
    $72
    I think it’s reasonable to think we will be better next year on the fact that Sean and KB will be seniors and assuming they take the leadership role I think we win the close games. Tbh I think we have no true leader like a Martin or wideman. I know there talent was very very good but forget that I think if we have there leadership we don’t blow leads at the end of games vs IU, X , Seton hall. Also we come outta the gates better as well. Just my take

kmacker69 likes this.
  5. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,174
  6. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $328
    Actually Martin not only had a much better season under Jordan, but he attributed his success to Jordan allowing him to play with more freedom.
    If last years team was Holtman's as you claim so is this one. There isn't anyone who is playing that isn't a Holtman recruit. Jordan came in a few months before the season started last year , he not only lost his top incoming freshman but most of his coaching staff.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

pappyball likes this.
  7. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $328
    Based on what exactly? Can you give examples?

pappyball likes this.
  8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    Technically Tucker is/was an LJ recruit as is Golden

9. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,186
    Didn't read this thread. I won't read this thread. Watched the game at 2:00 am on Thursday morning. Not a lot to say. I am sure has all been said already.

The window for losses shrinks daily.

10. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,081
    Hey Nut, how are you doing? We will have to beat Villanova or win the BE tourney now. Have a great weekend.

11. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Active Member

Money:
    $207
    I don't think that HinkleHistory94 was saying that "were" stupid, delusional, and have no basketball IQ if we don't agree with you. From your previous post he was essentially directing the comment at you. Quit whining already and buck up. Hinkle History94 had quite a few valid points, but because he didn't agree with your previous post you end up getting your panties all bunched up and reply with a sarcastic comment. I guess as a VIP member you know everything about Butler Basketball and nobody is allowed to disagree with you. Based on you recent board activity of 32 posts on Wednesday and another 17 post since Thursday, you don't have much going on in your life outside of Butler Basketball and the message board. I picture you sitting home during the day eating soup out of a can and watching old reruns of Murder She Wrote and Colombo while monitoring the message board and working on your next post. It's going to be 55 degrees today. Why don't you put down your soup can and the remote control for the television and go out for a walk. I'm sure someone else can monitor the message board for the rest of the day. BTW, why don't you actually watch the game instead of posting every ten minutes or so during it. The board can wait for your expert VIP comments until after the game.

HinkleHistory94 likes this.
  12. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    and.....BOOM goes the dynamite....I mean that's some next level impressive trolling. Why stop there, needed to go into specifics, I want to know what kind of soup was it? Campbell's perhaps? Should he bring sunglasses on the walk? Sunscreen? What spf level is acceptable?

pappyball and jeff like this.
  13. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    Can we stick to basketball here?

I also like that people are complaining that Butler only had the 4th best recruiting class in the Big East coming up, when under Holtmann, we were always no better than like the 4th best team in the Big East. If you're going to try to find something to slam LaVall Jordan, that's not one of them.

14. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Active Member

Money:
    $207
    I suggest low SPF which is a representation of Lavall and his staff's coaching ability lol.

HinkleHistory94 likes this.
  15. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,081
    No more personal attacks .... please. Have a great weekend, everyone.:):):)

16. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $328
    Yes you are correct. I forgot about Tucker somehow.

estar20dawg likes this.
  17. dippper61

dippper61 Member

Money:
    $118
    While I agree that the players should have some control (to a certain point) at a major D1 level the parents should have none.

18. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    Most up to date NCAA stats and where Butler ranks (rankings based on all 351 D1 teams):

Scoring offense: 169
    FT attempted per game: 325
    FT made per game: 307
    FG percentage: 128
    Assists per game: 184
    3 point shots attempted per game: 69
    3 point FG percentage: 89

Scoring defense: 126
    Rebounds per game: 304
    Rebounding margin: 237
    Steals forced: 266
    Turnovers forced: 206
    Fouls committed: 171

So make of it what you will. Pretty dependent on the 3 point shot. Offense is east / west oriented, and is reflected in not getting to the line and pretty much not scoring from there. Not a great assist team, again, reflective of the first option of dribble drive, take-your-man offense. Rebounding and defense??? What can you say. Kind of surprising they rank as high as 126 in scoring defense when they can't rebound and offer little pressure....see turnovers and steals rank. We don't put enough pressure on the ball, making it too easy for the opponents' offense to do what they want, nor do we protect the paint. Double teaming post ups, weakside help, collapse the middle, double teaming top players on the perimeter (other than the hedge) as a game plan….never happens.

Regardless of who recruited who and the talent level and all those inane back and forth excuses, does anyone think some solid coaching of THIS roster and these players and targeting and placing some emphasis on the weaknesses reflected by these rankings might improve a 15 - 12 team? Think we might want a little more north / south movement of the ball, and maybe we would get to the line a little? Are some adjustments needed to our current approach on defense? Think we might want to concentrate on and send a few additional guys to the boards for rebounds? Looks like the game plan(s) are pretty much standard for every game, regardless of the opponent. Don't see much in the way of adjustments, in-game, game-to-game, or season-to-season.

Didn't Butler kind of build the program starting a few decades ago and a become a consistently solid program with players who were not as athletic as the competition but played smart, fundamentally sound basketball, and playing to the strengths of the players on the roster? You don't need stats to see that this team is not fundamentally sound nor does it play smart basketball. And that has very little to do with the talent level or if this is Holtmann's guy or Jordan's.

19. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $328
    Can you expand on that a bit? You seem to have some inside information that I was unaware of.

Clevedog likes this.
  20. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,186
    Been busy. Only got to see a couple games live. I hope you're wrong and that the Dawgs can get in without either of those options, because beating Nova or winning the BET is gonna be some long odds!

Have a good weekend yourself.