Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (15-13) vs Villanova Wildcats (21-8) - 3/2

Jared Grubbs, Mar 1, 2019

Settled
  1. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Active Member

Money:
    $280
    I think I am most disappointed in how this team has responded when their back has been against the wall. They have shown very little fight or desire to get better. I get not winning at nova, but getting embarrassed is a totally something different thing. That’s as much coaching as is it the players.

I am tired of hearing we can’t criticize players because they are “ good kids”. If they stink, they stink!!! Doesn’t mean they won’t go on to be great men and cure cancer, just means they stink at b-ball on this and/or most days.

This team will not compete in a power conference without a PG or athletic post players.

2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,475
    Brunk warrants the double team on offense, which means someone else is open. He made good passes and our scoring clicked in the first half.

As soon as Fowler started the second half, there was no need for Nova to double team the post. Then the motion stops because everyone is used to Baldwin being the go-to iso. Kamar dribbles it into the ground and takes an off-balance shot trying to make something happen.

Just my opinion, but our brand of ugly basketball seems to have become predictable.

BUBlue, Tentozen and Dewars12 like this.
  3. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    Another embarrassment for Butler basketball. Gee, didn't see that one coming. Becoming more and more customary under Jordan. Actually, this was a good game to show what SHOULD have been and reality. Butler starts the game running offensive sets (wholly sh!t, where did that come from?), north and south, through the post, and building up a nice little lead. Several back doors and layups. Had they not reverted to 3 or 4 possessions of Kamar hero ball mixed in along with another 3 or 4 possessions of ill-advised launches from 3 point land, they probably could have had an 6 or 8 point lead at halftime instead of trailing by 3. Still, 20 of their 30 points came in the paint in the first half. When the hell did that ever happen under Jordan???? Actually looked like a real basketball team for a majority of the first half.

Second half, business as usual. Kamar hero ball. Plenty of Kamar turnovers. Settling for 3 point launches from everyone. What's new? What happened to running that north south offense through the post? How many times did Donny Marshall (color man) say that Butler has a big advantage at the 5? Several times. Exactly how many times, all game long, did we post up the 5? We shot 5 free throws the entire game. But we did shoot 5 of 26 for 19% from the 3 point line. That alone should tell you how undisciplined and how badly this team is prepared and how it is coached.

The defense was atrocious, so why do we give the opponent more possessions by shooting early in the shot clock? Duh. Just dumb fricking basketball. The defense is a joke. No pressure on the ball or in the passing lanes. No effort either. Watching Villanova play D and Butler play D was night and day. (and they are not THAT much more athletic than Butler) Offer no pressure, you sure make it easy as hell for Villanova to run whatever they wanted on offense. Help side defense in the paint was non-existent. You have Phil Booth backing down Jorgensen and you don't send one person to double team? Hell, you don't even have another defender within 10 feet!!!!! Good call. We're down 10 or 12 with 11 or 12 minutes to go and Jordan goes to an "ineffective" full court press. I think Villanova beats it three times in a row and builds the lead to 18 or 20. With more than half of the second half to play and only down 10 or 12 it was way too early to go to a press, which Butler can run anyway. That began the blow out. If you can't effectively defend the half court what makes you think you can defend the entire court any better? Someone needs a reality check over on 49th Street.

This team, with this roster, was capable of beating a whole lot of teams this year had they played disciplined and smartly and had both offensive and defensive schemes to work within. Can we stop with the lame a$$ excuses that we just don't have the talent!!!!! Or Villanova was just tougher today. Blah, blah, blah. Sure, this team doesn't have great talent. But we'll never see those 5 stars at Butler that can actually thrive in Jordan's take your man offense. Keep this up and we may never see 4 stars again either. But we sure had enough talent this year to be a whole lot better than 15 - 14. When it comes time to look for a new coach, years from now probably, I hope someone puts Donnie Marshall on the list for consideration. The guy was so impressive and knowledgeable and just nailed it today telling it like it was and what Butler actually needed to be doing, instead of what they did do. As Marshall said more than once today, "it's a pretty simple game." Maybe I'm just overly impressed by hearing someone actually talk about good basketball play as opposed to what we have seen far too often of the course of this totally lost season, and sadly, with not much hope for improvement in the near term either.

4. Bernie44

Bernie44 Member

Money:
    $100
    Almost every one of our 3 pt attempts were from outside the NBA line! You would think that one of our crack assistants would have emphasized to move closer to the college line.

5. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $513
    Lewis Carroll would have loved this team... up is down, down is up and nothing makes sense... Geez - never seen such nonsensical substitution patterns... And, I'm just bypassing the strong start and incredible ball movement because we chased the white rabbit to the ball pounding, three point chucking party

Tentozen likes this.
  6. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    It is just a cluster f**k, what can i say. There is nothing to get excited about the rest of the year.

dippper61 and willisbrown like this.
  7. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,161
    Dawgs could end up playing Providence 3 times in 16 days as they could very easily meet in the 8/9 game of BE tournament .

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    We set the tone as soon as the 2nd half by standing around with our fingers up ass all the way to our to are elbow. We continued with what I often refer to as the umbrella offense. Which is where players stand behind the arch and brick treys. There was several times I thought Nova was in a zone, but no they were still in man to man. Does anyone honestly think LJ told players to stop moving. I find that very difficult to fathom. Nonetheless it was disgusting after playing fairly well in the 1st half.

Tentozen likes this.
  9. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,081
    Do you think we will lose all 3 times?

10. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $538
    Also need Battle to be an impact player.

cornette33 and dippper61 like this.
  11. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,161
    I sure hope not but they certainly could.

12. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,294
    Tentozen likes this.
  13. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    If there's not a significant overhaul of this offensive system (or lack thereof) for next season, I'll be pretty disappointed.

The either stand around or weave game on the perimeter isn't working.

14. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    Lets face it the future does not look bright and that is unfortunate, I do see some changes coming with the roster as well as the staff.

15. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $976
    I bet they don't make any staff changes. We never do.

dippper61 and willisbrown like this.
  16. tedfrye

tedfrye Active Member

Money:
    $169
    Celtics are not as good as expected.
    Butler isn’t very good.
    Come home Brad.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

mwall787 and cornette33 like this.
  17. cornette33

Money:
    $976
    Crazy about Celtics. Tons of talent that can't get it together. Gordon struggling.

18. cornette33

Money:
    $976
    Do the staff contracts mirror Lavall's contract? As in he has so many yrs left on a deal and the assistants have the same yrs left?

19. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    Brad coming back would be the best thing that could happen to Butler, but that is a 1 in a 1000 (at best).

Retooling the staff needs to happen. Hire a top recruiter and offensive assistant coaches. LaVall will be fine with the right staff in place. What is Thad doing now? I saw him at the game on Tuesday.

20. dippper61

dippper61 Member

Money:
    $118
    I hear you and at least hope there is some sort of change to the staff. We are now in last place in a very mediocre Big East this season. I don’t get some of the viewpoints that of course we will be better next year. Better what? Certainly not expecting much to change standings wise. Nova, Marquette, Georgetown, Xavier and Providence all with have just as much if not more talent returning and solid recruiting classes as well. Personally the only light I see at the end of the tunnel is that I think Mullin, Steele and Willard are just slightly taller midgets than LJ. It’s not going to happen but I would rather just hire Thad as the head coach and slide LJ down a seat to his top assistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app