Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (15-14) vs Xavier Musketeers (16-13) - 3/5

Jared Grubbs, Mar 4, 2019

Settled
  1. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Active Member

Money:
    $483
    That was, how should I say it...gritty, not pretty?

Army Dawg!!! likes this.
  2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    I'd trade money for a hard nosed butler team all day any day. I don't mind losing because it's just fun game action for me. Win, lose...so what. A good butler win though, when you can applaud your team with a great pride...no bet can beat that feeling.

shoeevv, BoyGeoff, bwesson15 and 3 others like this.
  3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,312
    LJ said "don't foul" but JT committed the sin.

4. joliebeth23

joliebeth23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,187
    Hahaha. Honestly, I'm a fan. I watch Butler Basketball because win or lose, it gives me something to look forward to. I love knowing I can run right home from school here on Pacific time and watch the games. I anticipate it all day. I love having all my Butler posters and banners in my classroom and talking to my students about it. My colleagues and I all have our teams/schools we support, and it gives us a common conversation. I appreciate that my alma mater is known nationally mostly because of the basketball team. I try to fly back to Indy at least once a year so I can see a game in Hinkle.

Has this season and team been frustrating? Sure. But they've also been really fun to watch at times, too. Is LaVall the best coach ever? Maybe not, but I'm sure as hell not going to get on here or social media and call for his job. He's growing into it, and it's clear from what the players say about him, they love him and love playing for him. (Just listen to Paul tonight.) I went to games as a student during Joe Sexson's last year and then as Barry Collier got started. I think I can suffer through an inconsistent year every now and again in the 21st Century. These are college kids playing a game to entertain us, and I don't feel compelled to belittle them and their coach in a public forum because I'm frustrated as an armchair assistant. Do I wish the team had pushed through to win more of those close and OT games this year so we could definitely be in the NCAA conversation? Oh, yeah. But, in the end, it's just basketball. It's a way for me to have fun away from the stresses of work or life in general to support my school, and I'll be as positive as I can, win or lose. This year's team didn't really know how much they would miss Kelan and Tyler, in my opinion. I want to see a continued focus on recruiting to Big East level and coaching consistency/growth before I make some sort of snap judgment about this program's future. Just my two cents...

WestLoopDog, Yogi, Hinkle and 25 others like this.
  5. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,145
    Your 2 cents are worth a lot more than that.

And they echo my sentiments as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

tlp63, BoyGeoff, 2xDawg and 1 other person like this.
  6. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,145
    Oh, what might have been. Imagine if the game at X was a 1 point win instead of a 1 point loss.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,343
    Just loved PJ trash talking in the first half. Kid puts it all out there.

HinkleMagic319 and joliebeth23 like this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,343
    Joliebeth- nice what you wrote above. It is just a game. Like you I am proud to be an alum and proud how these players and coaches represent a place I love.

9. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,899
    The team played even better than I predicted. Our hustle and aggressivness controlled X and fueled the offense. This team had fun tonight. The seniors enjoyed their finest hours and Hinkle goes dark for another season. But, if they can keep having fun and have the defense set the tone, perhaps there are another 3, or dare I say 4 more games to be played?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. bwesson15

bwesson15 Active Member

One interesting thing to me from Nate's speech. Was him talking about how much he has been injured at Butler, but he has never missed a game from injury. Makes you think how many injuries he has played through. Also if you go through his thread on here. Most posters main concern with him was his durability.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $401
    The providence OT loss stings more as well now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen likes this.
  12. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $509
    I don't think there's any doubt this is the best and most intense rivalry in the conference- last night felt and sounded like it was a game for first place....not among two NIT teams that might not make .500 in conference play.

Probs to Butler- out toughed X, and this year unlike last years team isn't skilled enough to be out toughed. They made the big plays on second chance points, points off turnovers and 50/50 balls.

I'm not too upset, honestly I dont know that we wouldve made the tournament without a run to the finals minnimum, and despite that loss this team is significantly better than the team we had a month ago, they've just figured it out too late so margin for error is nil.

Absolute props to Kamar Baldwin, I know a lot of you complain about his Iso plays/hero ball at the end of games, but he was a stud that second half and really those last 4 minutes. I thought X played really good defense on him with Scruggs, he just hit some incredibly tough shots and you have to tip you cap. Hope he takes a long look at the draft this offseason :)

Will be happy to see y'all in the semis for round 3!

bumba, DawgsMD, ButlerNut and 12 others like this.
  13. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,854
    The only thing that I can't get out of my head on the game was, where the heck has this been all year? I'm actually a little bit pissed watching that because that team was a top 3, top 25 team. Why is it just on senior night and against a rival that brings that kind of effort and intensity? Not to continue on some of the people's trains on the coaching because even though I haven't been all that thrilled by it most of the year either, I think his chops as an elite recruiter are starting to show. I would be really shocked if the 2020 class doesn't have 2 top 100 type players. But as the head coach your job is to motivate your players to that level every game and to hold players accountable to those standards. And don't tell me you can't do it, cause I just watched it. Our margin is about as close to zero as it gets. There are always things that you can teach and develop. Max effort especially with 10 players you can play doesn't need to be taught. We just beat a bigger, more physical thug team without shooting great outside of PJ, who btw go have yourself a senior night kid. We even shoot remotely decent and we win by at least 15. I haven't seen a player like McD go this cold since Dunham's just insane 0 for what seemed like an eternity streak. I mean his shots don't even look close right now just following trajectory of the ball. Maybe all that time being beaten on and pushed around at the 4 has finally taken its cumulative effect this late in the year and he's just tired and sore. If we can some how find a way to win at Prov and manage a couple of wins in the tournament, like we've all said the bubble is so weak and we do have name brand and recognition and travel well. Funnier things have happened.

bwesson15, IndyDawgs and seadawg like this.
  14. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Active Member

Money:
    $257
    Don't know if this is posted anywhere else...but anyone who doubts PJ's love of this school....put it to bed now. I am optimistic that LJ's coaching style will payoff in the long run......players love playing for him. PJ explains why!!!!!

jeff, Insane Dawg, ButlerNut and 9 others like this.
  15. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,343
    And this is from a kid who lost his starting position. There is a lot we can learn from this young man in what he said. Does anyone doubt he will be successful in life?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    jeff, SRG, ButlerNut and 8 others like this.
  16. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Active Member

Money:
    $233
    I don’t always like how PJ plays but it’s hard to argue his passion. I am just not used to player like PJ, he plays with such confidence he thinks every shot is going in. That has to be fun to play like that. He’s going to be missed!!!

jeff, SRG, bmradio99 and 1 other person like this.
  17. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $216
    8-10 could still get us a tie for 4th place. How crazy is that?

jeff, bumba, FriarDawg and 4 others like this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,343
    It’s possible.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  19. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $777
    This team needs to beat Providence and then win at least two big East tourney games.

Likely? No. Still possible? Yes.

I think they can win the next two (at Providence and first round BE tourney) but beating a Villanova or Marquette will be the real challenging test. We match up much better to Marquette.

20. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,368
    I will take questionable shot selection over softness any day of the week. I mean, perfect situation is "neither of those," but still.