Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (15-14) vs Xavier Musketeers (16-13) - 3/5

Jared Grubbs, Mar 4, 2019

Settled
  1. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,510
    Good win. Not the prettiest game, and plenty of mistakes, but the players were able to offset a lot of it through pure hustle and toughness. They did more "good" things last night then they have in just about any BE game this year. Let's be honest, X, too, is a little down this year, but welcome to college basketball 2018 - 2019. I think this game illustrates why some of us have been so frustrated and critical over the course of the season. I (and others) knew that while we didn't possess the best talent, there was certainly enough on this roster to have a pretty solid season in a "down" season in the BE, and in college basketball over all. Top half in the league and a Tournament bid at the minimum. I feel a little sorry for the entire team because they are better than their record and their tournament fate.

One good win doesn't give Jordan and the staff a pass on the season. This type of play, and even better, should have be the norm and not the exception. For the most part I've held back my criticism of individual players this season because I never thought they were placed in the best possible position to win. Not their fault, for the most part. The wrong offense and defense for the talents on the roster. I still don't buy in to the Jordan is young and inexperienced excuses because he is neither. It's sad because he really is such a nice guy, a Butler man, and everyone likes him, as evidenced by the player comments. We all want him to succeed, but Butler basketball is much bigger than just one person. And 16 - 14 and hovering around last place in the BE just isn't acceptable from any coach, including Jordan.

Jordan will get another shot to show us something because he is not going anywhere. Pretty much agreed upon by all that he is going to have a better roster next year, and a whole off season to coach and groom some players (Brunk, Thompson...we have to stop playing 4 on 5...., et al) and work on their weaknesses that obviously wasn't done this past off season. Excuses will be even thinner in 2019 - 2020. Hope he gets some help on the staff or has an epiphany or whatever it takes because it sucks not having real Butler basketball over the course of the winter. And yes "excuse divas", we are indeed spoiled!!!!

dippper61, Bernie44 and bmradio99 like this.
  2. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $740
    Post of the season. Nice job JB23!

3. HinkleMagic319

HinkleMagic319 Member

Money:
    $111
    Ok now what happens if we beat providence, get the 5 or 6 seed win 2 big east tourney games? Do we make a first four in maybe? Another situation we beat providence and are the 7 seed beat the 10 seed then beat a St. John’s or gtown. Idk how seeding will work exactly but hits some things to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

joliebeth23 likes this.
  4. HinkleMagic319

HinkleMagic319 Member

Money:
    $111
    On another note- jorgenson was awesome last night, only thing I wish I could change was for him to hit that three in the corner in transition because it would have been a great moment for him to hear hinkle roar if that went in! But what a great speech at the end, id take a guy with his passion any day

joliebeth23, Insane Dawg and BoyGeoff like this.
  5. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,981
    I also want that kind of energy from Baldwin every game. His leadership was on full display last night. I get he's a quiet, humble kid. But that's the Baldwin that we need. Getting in the faces of guys and firing them up. I'm going to want to bust it if the best player on the team is putting that guy of fire out there. KB was an absolute stud last night in all areas and I think it started with just his pure outward expression, the look and body language yesterday from him was completely different than most if not all year, dare I say even had a little PJ swag. It's alright for him to beat his chest sometimes and let his teammates see it.

6. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,203
    This might be the best post I've ever read on here. Brilliant perspective, JB23.

DawgsMD, DawgPoundMac and joliebeth23 like this.
  7. BUBlue

BUBlue Member

Money:
    $50
    Much needed win! Proud of the boys! But I have to say that the Big East officials are still the worst in college basketball!

Insane Dawg likes this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,383
    You say wrong offense and wrong defense. Exactly what kind of offense and defense would you have run had you been the HC. Just interested

joliebeth23 likes this.
  9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,267
    Y'all...last night was a blast and fun. But, a bubble it does not get us near. This team blew its bubble chances weeks ago and what we need to hope for is a w come Saturday, a favorable nit draw, and continued effort rivaling what we saw last night. The end.

IndyDawgs and Army Dawg!!! like this.
  10. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $449
    I didn't get to watch live but went back and watched late last night. I know Butler has (for the most part) played much better at home than on the road but last night was the first night that, even when playing at Hinkle, they looked like the tough and sharp team we expect Butler teams to be. It was fun to watch.

Sure they made some mistakes and the shooting wasn't great. They didn't execute perfectly late in the game but overall they played so much better.

No clue how they'll play at Providence on Saturday but if they play the 2 games they are guaranteed the way they played last night in all their remaining games, it'll be hard to end Butler's season.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,659
    All I could think about after the game is the difference between missing the tournament and being in without much issue. It's not just a few games going differently; it's literally 8 or so possessions out of thousands over the course of a season.

#60, ButlerNut, IndyDawgs and 2 others like this.
  12. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,053
    This. So many games could’ve easily swung our way. At Xavier if Tucker hits both of his FTs of that one and one after the under 4. Thompson doesn’t get a bad whistle at the end of the St. John’s game. That pitch back 3 at the end of OT against Providence rims outs. Phinisee doesn’t hit that miracle 3. We’d be sitting 20-10 and thinking this team is amazing.

#60, ButlerNut and joliebeth23 like this.
  13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,659
    It's also why doing the little things is so important. It's why taking fewer long 2s is critical. It's why missing one or two fewer assignments per game on D is critical. It's why pulling back on a fast break when you're 1 on 3 is critical. It's why kicking out a little more often to the open man when you've gotten in the paint is critical. This team didn't do those things. If it had, even just a little bit, I think it's a top 30-40 team, safely in the tournament, and everyone is thrilled.

14. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,300
    It’s unlikely Butler gets out of the 8/9 game in the BE tournament win or lose Saturday. I would say it’s highly unlikely they avoid playing Wednesday night next week. Now, they could greatly improve their NIT chances with a win at Providence. Also, for those of us that would like to see them in the NIT, start rooting for the #1 seeds in the smaller conference tournaments which started this week. Regular season champions that lose in their conference tournaments get automatic bids to the NIT taking away at-large bids from teams like Butler.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

bumba likes this.
  15. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,300
    Paul & his parents are top notch people!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Hinkle likes this.
  16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,267
    No kidding. It's become shrug shoulders time mostly for me, but if I go down that tunnel of "damn, what if..." it is wildly frustrating. Too many hiccups in key moments that if half were changed, yes we're in and all wired up for another fun March.

Hinkle likes this.
  17. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,510
    Just interested? You think the offense was good this year? Were you a fan of all the overdribbling? Love our defense? You asked, so.....I would have liked to have seen something closer to a Princeton offense style rather than the "dribble drive", "take your man" approach that Jordan used. The roster didn't have the kind of athleticism to break down their man consistently. With this team, it would have been easier to score out of a set offense, especially with our spot up shooters. A set-oriented offense also helps to value each possession and get the best shot possible instead of settling so often in free flow. We all agreed we didn't have "break down" talent, so why did Jordan run his Eight-Great-Late offense? Absolutely take advantage of transitions and mismatches and isolating players at key times and even let Baldwin do his thing....at times. But to build your entire offense around it? Too many turnovers. Too many mental mistakes. Too many ill advised shots. Too much settling. Too dependent on the 3. Too many possessions for the opponent. The mere fact that we were last in attempting and scoring at the free throw line should tell you something. Finally, last night, they posted up Fowler and Brunk AT THE HOOP. No need to put the ball on the court. Where was the flash at that hoop by the bigs all season? We had mismatches at the 5 in a whole lot of games. You can go on and on.

On defense, would have run a man to man, like Jordan, but a real "help" man to man defense. Defense by committee. Since individually we kind of suck. I would have driven "protect the paint" in to their heads. I would have driven "effort" in their heads. If we get beat, they will have to score over us. Jordan played mostly straight up man with little help. Kids are so athletic today it's hard to play anyone straight up. A whole lot of D-1 players look bad on D because kids are so difficult to guard. I would never have let Phil Booth take 5 - 6 seconds to set up and back down Jorgensen in the paint without sending a second man at him. We didn't. Last night was an anomaly somewhat on D. A good anomaly. More help last night than I'd seen all year. Plus, they actually put really good pressure on the ball and the passing lanes last night. Look at all the steals and deflections. When you have the effort and put pressure on the ball you make it difficult for the opponent to run their offense. Wouldn't have hurt trying a couple of "junk" defenses at times either. What did you have to lose in running a "triangle and 2" on Howard? Get the ball out of his hands. Shut Howard down, you shut down Marquette. Rebounding? Really pi$$ poor at blocking out. Nothing new there. Everyone sees that. Also, on most plays, I would have sent 3 to 4 guys to the hoop on the defensive end after a shot. Every time a shot goes up all 5 guys on D need to be moving. Either get to the hoop and block out or block out on the perimeter. We did and do stand around and watch way too much. Look at the replays.

This team wasn't that far away from a decent season. I don't think Jordan did a good job with the talent he had. You asked....so that is what I would have liked to have seen. I'm sure others ideas as well. Jordan is 16 - 14 with this team. All of us coaches on this chat board are undefeated. Does that answer your question on what I would have done?

18. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,342
    The roster was flawed, Martin and Wideman losses were huge, some games got away from us for various reasons, it happens. I feel with a strong off season committment from the players
    next year will be much better. November will be here before long and hopefully the results will be better. Best of luck to PJ and Fowler and thanks for you time at Butler!

joliebeth23 likes this.
  19. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $740
    . . . Stay off my lawn

20. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $846
    Another Hinkle Magic? Bro!

HinkleMagic319 likes this.