Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (16-16) vs Nebraska Cornhuskers (18-16) - NIT Opening Round

Jared Grubbs, Mar 18, 2019

Settled
  1. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,032
    Wait, there are people who actually think Butler should have rejected the Big East?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,674
    Yeah that's a new level of delusion! :rolleyes: We've done pretty well so far and expect us to be back in the mix next year. Think we are moving up in recruiting talent and the mix of old and new isn't gelling into a team yet.

jeff likes this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,013
    I was all for it, not knowing the future (the coaching shake up, Miller's debacle, the mistake that is Lavall) and our horrid talent evaluation...I figured we were on the right track with some major success in our back pocket, after the major success on the court. But the recruiting stayed meh or got worse, especially if you take away Martin and Wideman, player development is going backwards, and we have by far the most green and under performing coach in the big east.

740OHIOBulldog likes this.
  4. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Active Member

Money:
    $179
    To think we should go to another conference is completely ridiculous. Obviously we need to do whatever we can within our means and values to improve and compete (which we have done fairly well in the BE) on a yearly basis, but to suggest going back to the HO league or even the A10 is asinine...

tyrin101, #60, NCJon and 1 other person like this.
  5. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,043
    Recruiting and resources go hand and hand. Butler's basketball budget in 2017-2018 was 5.5 million, Villanova's was 14.5 million and three other schools were above
    10 million and Butler has an alumni base of just over 40,000 and most of them live far away and could care less about b-ball since the '10 and '11 seasons. Butler has limited
    sources of funds and it takes money and other resources to run an athletic program in a Big 6 conference. Four million in television dollars doesn't cover it. I am not suggesting
    going back to HL, but the MVC would have been fine and a good fit. The travel costs alone must be awfully high as well funding nineteen other programs, most of
    which are non revenue. Men's basketball pays the freight for everything else!

6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Look at the derivative of the curve showing applications over year since we joined the big east.

Now our debate is settled

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Active Member

Money:
    $179
    Revenue is much higher in the BE (even for lowly Butler) than the MVC. While operating in the MVC would be cheaper, it would likely be a wash overall when you consider the loss of revenue we would see. Also, those other 19 programs have been VERY successful in the BE since the move. We belong where we are. We will also (this season not withstanding) benefit from the increased tournament shares received when the BE can put multiple teams in the tournament. As to your last point, regardless of conference, the MBB team will be paying for the non revenue sports. It is that way for virtually every athletic department in the country with either basketball or football funding the department...

jeff and NCJon like this.
  8. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    Anyone that suggests Butler shouldn’t have joined the Big East is a complete idiot.

Every mid major league is a 1 bid league now. So the only thing that matters is your conference tourney. I like playing good teams.

Step off the ledge, Butler had a bad season and still ranked in top 75 in all of D1 basketball (343 teams).

Go cheer for IUPUI.

9. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $483
    If you think we should leave the big east stop what your doing right now and call your doctor and get an appointment ASAP you need checked out.

DawgFan, butlerguy03, bumba and 8 others like this.
  10. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,250
    Can schedule with me. I’ll figure their head out haha.

11. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,491
    LaVall is not green, if by green you mean he lacks experience. He has been a paid professional basketball coach for nearly 20 years. He is nearly 40 years old. He is not green. When you say under performing, then yes, I definitely agree.

Someone needs to go back and pull up those threads following the 2017 - 18 season. A few people, me included, were very concerned about LaVall's poor coaching of that team that was much better than 21 - 14 and that should have performed much better. For someone who had coached and been around big time college basketball for all those years there was something lacking. Yet the majority of posters, many of the same ones now who defend Jordan, said he just needs more time and experience. They assured us that most definitely he and the team would be much better in 2018 - 19. Ironically, too, because the roster looks pretty solid with a lot of potential. If nothing else, the excuses and rationalizations have gotten even more creative following this season's debacle. (Can't wait for 2020 - 2021.)

The team looked pretty good at times this year. Lost some close ones they should have won. More reflecting the fact that the talent on this roster was not so much lacking as many of have claimed, but rather because of obvious and pronounced shortcomings of Jordan and his staff. Yes, any team can use better players. But Jordan did not develop the talent he had. And there was talent on this team. He did not place them in the best possible positions to win. His approach and strategy (lack there of) and the overall product he put on the court was at times embarrassing, which who would have thought you would say that about Butler basketball.

Go back and look at readyletsgo posting titled Old Butler Games. Some pretty solid basketball with good but not great players, and compare those games to undisciplined, under-coached and undeveloped mess that you saw this year. So as everyone speculates on next year, excuse me for being more than apprehensive for our chances of significant improvement, regardless of who comes or goes on the roster. It all starts at the top.

Regarding the ridiculous statement Butler should not have accepted the Big East invitation....duh. Not worthy of discussion. However, I will say that of all 10 Big East teams, Butler maybe has the thinnest margin for mistakes and may have the most difficult road to recovery from those mistakes. Jordan is going to get his additional year. Guess we'll see if Barry has the balls to own up his mistake.

740OHIOBulldog and dawg767 like this.
  12. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $327
    And you think moving to a mid major conference would help to improve those things?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,013
    Not at all, just saying I was one of the ones way in the pro big east column, where there were plenty which were kinda on the fence (back then). I would have sided going regardless, but if I could have seen the future I could have been swayed to leave well enough alone in the A-10. I still like the move though, we just have to be more aggressive with coaching hires and do better recruiting talent that can translate their game to the big east. Right now we do not have that.

14. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,149
    Kid averaging 1 point a game just found out he is playing against Butler next year...

[​IMG]

15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    And no one will be able to guard him and he will get more rebounds than Butler by himself

ButlerNut likes this.
  16. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,250
  17. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $313
    I wish I could like this twice!

dawgs2014 likes this.
  18. 740OHIOBulldog

740OHIOBulldog Active Member

Money:
    $1,445
    The no-brainer hire was Micah Shrewsberry.

19. 740OHIOBulldog

740OHIOBulldog Active Member

Money:
    $1,445

This is it!! especially the next to last paragraph.

20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,165
    Micah wasn't leaving the Celtics & some of us were relieved Barry found someone who wanted to be here long term (or said the right things). LJ will learn how to be a good HC. The question is how long does it take. He's already a good recruiter.