Jared Grubbs

Butler Bulldogs (17-8) vs Villanova Wildcats (22-2) - 2/10

Jared Grubbs, Feb 9, 2018

Settled
  1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,803
    Why do those things have to be mutually exclusive? Couldn't they both be contributing factors?

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,464
    Of course. But that foul call means nothing if it’s only a 10-2 run, right?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. ButlerNut

Money:
    $6,803
    I don't think there can be a correlation drawn between the two. That's all I am saying.

4. tlp63

tlp63 Member

Money:
    $143
    Just a fan not an expert in any way. Did I miss a mention of AT being knocked back with a hit on the chin? No call and a score for Nova.

theenforcer13 likes this.
  5. dawgs2014

Money:
    $4,464
    I don’t think a correlation needs to be drawn to realize that on court performance is a significantly greater factor towards determining the outcome of a game than a ref’s calls.

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,134
    If the refs made 10 bad calls in the game, and 6 of them fell against Butler and 4 were for Butler, and those calls, on average, each resulted in a point being unduly scored, the refs did indeed unduly influence the outcome of the game. That's simply fact.

But again, the number of positive and negative bad calls you get over the course of a season is going to be around the same, so it's not worth getting worked up about.

7. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,930
    Taking an inordinate amount of threes and mid-range jumpers will limit your free throw potential, and Butler shot a lot of them the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. ButlerNut

Money:
    $6,803
    On DiVincenzo's last bucket, he shoved AT (maybe Baddley) into the lane for a fadeaway jumper. And in the 1st half, AT got steamrolled to allow Brunson open for a 3. Both were bad non-calls.

9. ButlerNut

Money:
    $6,803
    We can agree that Jacksonville State would probably not put up a performance to keep them close against Villanova and that therefore, their on court performance would be a greater factor towards determining the outcome of the game than any amount of ref calls.

But a call does more than just be a call. It changes momentum, it can take away possessions, it can put a player in foul trouble, it can incite fans and get them back into a game, it can force a coach to change an in-game strategy, etc. The list goes on. Calls by referees are not isolation incidents that occur in bubbles. They have lasting effects on the game. Officials are a part of the game. Officials have to make split second decisions in a game moving much faster than it did 5-10 years ago. They have a hard job. But it is a job that many on here wish they did a little better.

I am not saying that the sole reason that Butler lost to Nova was the calls/non-calls. But also, the sole reason Butler lost to Nova was not the 20-2 run by Nova.

10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,885
    Unless you kick your leg out while shooting from three and tripping the defender or fake a player up then lean into his space.

estar20dawg and cornette33 like this.
  11. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,068
    Oh yeah, forgot the non-calls on Spellman’s lane violations

theenforcer13 and Tentozen like this.
  12. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,328
    Blueitt tried to do that against Creighton last GM. Looked so stupid. He missed the defender than while falling on the ground he tried to kick his legs to touch him even though he missed

13. BUcheer

Money:
    $6,068
    He’s sold that quite a bit. Also Goodin’s forearm into Harrell’s gut resulting in a foul on Harrell was a travesty.

14. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,885
    They rarely call three seconds in the lane.

15. BUcheer

Money:
    $6,068
    I meant him stepping over the line before the ball hit the rim on free throws. And yes, I’m aware on the 3 second rule—its a distinct advantage when some big oaf hangs around for rebounds or sealing the lane. Was told by a ref that it’s considered a “rookie” call and no ref wants to be seen as a rook. Heaven forbid.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  16. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $647
    He did that in the Georgetown game and got the call and it decided the game. I wonder if before the Butler game Laval told the refs to watch for it would it have had any influence on the call.

Sent from my [device_name] using Butler Hoops mobile app

cornette33 likes this.
  17. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839
    Hilarious people (well dawgs2014 mostly) are arguing refs don't impact results. Missed calls add up bud... singular calls can (and do) impact results as well. Did you not watch the last 3 Xavier games? Bluiett gets two flops on threes to go his way against Gtown/BU, and then they beat Creighton on a phantom foul call. They are one of the most overrated teams this year,and are prime for an early exit in the tournament.

BE refs have been awful throughout conference play as a whole, and I would argue are biased against Butler. Does it have something to do with Vall being a new guy? Maybe. But the foul discrepancy is out of wack entirely... Butler opponents have shot something like 60+ more FT's in conference play. Butler shoots the least amount of FTA per game (even though they are first in FGA near the rim), and gives up the 3rd most fouls per game.

18. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,204
    Saying X is overrated is just plain bullcrap. They are as good as anybody this season as no one is a dominant force in college BBL 2017-18. There are at least a dozen teams that can win it all and 2 of them are in the BE.

19. dawgs2014

Money:
    $4,464
    I would agree with this. I would agree they influenced the outcome of the game. But I would lot agree that influence had even a comparable impact relative to what the players themselves impacted.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

20. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839
    We will see. I maintain they will be an early out in the tournament. They play down to inferior opponents like Butler used to do in the Horizon. Their luck will run out... something like 9-0 in two possession games. That cannot last.

Hinkle likes this.