Butler Bulldogs 18-5 (6-4) vs. Marquette Golden Eagles (16-6, 6-4), 2/9, 12 PM Eastern

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 6, 2020.

1. coach roastbeef

coach roastbeef Member

Money:
    $24
    it was over even before the T

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,454
    Probably so...but that was the death nail.

3. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,513
    I do think we came out in the second half and looked sharp for the first few minutes. I believe we had it had 6 or 4 with the ball a couple of times but couldn’t convert. Then the foul+ tech to extend it to 10.

Big picture, I was hoping to steal this, SH or creighton. Still just important to hold at home and we will be comfortable dancing and not in the dreaded 7-10 first night of BE play. Wed against X is huge

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

znelson15 likes this.
  4. ButlerGrad1111

ButlerGrad1111 Active Member

Money:
    $315
    Sometimes there is a good tech this wasn’t one of them. It comparison to the ole miss coach when he got a tech vs butler at the wrong time

5. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,685
    It was a 6 point game when he got the T, but Howard was going to the line for 2. So it was essentially an 8 point game.

It’s crazy that LaVall, a man who we can all agree rides the refs way less than most of the coaches in the league, has 3 techs in 11 games.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,674
    Thought Nze, AT and KB were solid. KB tried to Will us back in. Tucker is a good rebounder and a jump shooter- but isn’t explosive and avoids contact. Sean was 0-5 . Several of those he was fouled. I’d rather see him shoot 12X than Golden or Tucker who were a combined 6-23.

Battle has been a mess. Surely Hastings and Mulloy couldn’t do any worse.

They out toughed us and had a superb defensive game plan. The Refs were bad but weren’t the primary reason we lost.

7. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,537
    Officiating did suck. A lot. But that wasn't the primary reason we lost. Shooting 8 free throws to your opponents 28 isn't ALL about officiating. In Butler's case, we always get out shot at the FT line. It's who we are now. Every game. Says a whole lot more about what we do (or don't do) on the offensive end of the court rather than the officiating. Got outscored 14 points alone at the FT line. Maybe we should have been running sets toward the bucket and a little less east/west motion and settling on the first shot to draw some more fouls against Marquette. Sometimes you have to make the refs make those calls.

Nze and Golden showed in the last game they have some modestly decent moves around the bucket. So why do we pass to them 10 to 12 feet from the bucket and make them put it on the floor? Why don't we ever down pick and flash guys at the rim? And either score or get to the line. Until the last game, McDermott has been so reticent on the offensive end. Mostly a pass first guy. If he has those types of skills like he displayed on Villanova, why don't we attempt to get him involved at the beginning of every game. Like call his number a lot in the first few possessions of the game and let him know he HAS to be involved on the offense. Two points in 33 minutes doesn't cut it.

Shooting under 40% from the field didn't help either. Ugly, ugly loss when the shots don't drop. And you spot your opponent 14 free points.

Bernie44 likes this.
  8. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,049
    Losing at Marquette isn’t surprising. The margin was, but not the loss. If you’re going to be pissed, be pissed about losing to Providence at Hinkle.

Not to defend 767, but I think his Indy is west of Milwaukee comment was in response to the chorus of there is an east coast bias in the BE.

dawgs2014, NCJon and Insane Dawg like this.
  9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $14,674
    Actually we were a respectable 47% from two, 87% FT and had only 10 turnovers. KB was 3-6 from three and rest of team was 1-14. Of course three of those missed were by Battle- and they were brutal misses.

10. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $14,674
    Completely agree with you in this loss versus home against Providence which I blame completely on the staff. That should never have happened.

The tougher team won today.

11. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,623
    Just finished watching the replay after my meeting. As much as I hate when you all harp on officiating, I’m going to take my turn. Who is that balled guy who seems to hate us? Unbelievable!
    For the record, officiating didn’t decide this game, but he sucks. And hey Lavall, quit waiting 4 possessions later to get teed up, blow your top immediately and get their attention. McDermitt was hammered on the drive, but you waited 2 minutes to jump on them.
    I’m not going to read this thread, but we just don’t match up well with them. Elated to get a split. Time for more Hinkle magic and a solid win over that group from Cincy.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,093
    Yeah, the only thing you can say about Jordan's tech is that maybe it should've happened earlier.

I have 0 criticisms for him getting T'd in that situation. There was a good chance it would galvanize the team, but it backfired. It happens.

The officiating WAS bad, but we weren't winning that game unless we hit more shots. We tend to struggle when both McDermott and Tucker have quiet outings, and this was once again the case.

13. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,045
    Wednesday in my mind is a very big game for us
    I don’t see us winning any of our other road games and we need to make sure we take care of business at home to finish the year but I worry about losing to Xavier at home and gtown (happens every year it seems)

cornette33 likes this.
  14. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,605
    Was at the game, so not sure how it looked on TV, but everyone in the arena had no idea Vall was T’d up until it was announced. I don’t think he was trying for the call. Methinks a ref didn’t like having some truth spoken to him.

15. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,203
    I don't know that there is a bias against Butler, but there may be a "who we think they are" lack of respect, coming in to gsmes, that keeps obvious calls from being called and tends to have grey ones called a certain way.

What I do know is how amazingly a team seems to perform following a friendly whistle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $14,674
    Why wasn’t a technical called on McEwen?

harvesting likes this.
  17. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,623
    It was in to a timeout. Lavall was out on the floor and he wasn’t going to the huddle until they teed him up. He was complaining about Sean’s drive that put him down but that was about 4 possessions earlier.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $14,674
    Xavier is on a mission now - particularly Jones. We got beat up today by players that aren’t nearly as physical as Jones.

19. BUcheer

Money:
    $5,605
    I understand that it was during a timeout but when a coach is trying for the T or is obvious, the crowd is usually noticing and calling for it. Nothing—no one noticed. That’s why I think the ref was probably being very thin skinned.

BNiche and godogs91 like this.
  20. BUcheer

Money:
    $5,605
    Great question. They even showed a few seconds of him mocking on the video board. Question: It appeared that Theo John kicked AT after the play to move him away as AT was holding his ground. Could you tell on TV?