Butler Bulldogs 18-5 (6-4) vs. Marquette Golden Eagles (16-6, 6-4), 2/9, 12 PM Eastern

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,722
    I normally don’t criticize officiating but in this game it was ridiculous. The impact it had was on momentum .

BornADawg, harvesting and seadawg like this.
  2. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,637
    I viewed it as a no brainer. Maybe the crowd didn’t notice, but it seemed obvious to me.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,509
    Yes, you could tell. Intentional? I don't know. Being John...I'm tempted to say damn right it was. But, you never know. But he was undercut a little so if he took exception to it, I'd buy that.

The McD disappearance as weird. I know they were very much keying on him and trying to make him as uncomfortable as possible, but he's proven this year that his game has evolved so much, he's got to find a way to still be a threat even if he's being hounded like today. Good players do that and I very much believe McD is a good player. Shake it off, go crazy against X.

To the tech again...you have to learn when and when not to go nuts. Knowing they were already going to the line, bad timing. He should have done it earlier and if you don't, you just hold your tongue at that point. Like I said that was the end of things for us with a free 4 points.

4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,960
    I had zero issues with LJ's tech, in fact it was totally justified. No calls were the main issue. This particular game seemed to played to 2 separate sets of standards. BU had ample time to come back but this instance LJ failed ignite a fire. The reaction by the team was more of the same. I'd never say officials cost BU this game but they did have effect. Poor shooting, getting beat to 50/50 balls and some unlucky bounces were the primary source for losing. Marquette had a great game plan defensively and deserves credit for some lights out shooting.

kmacker69 likes this.
  5. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,054
    The main no actions that had me pissed were when AT was kicked by John and then Golden was elbowed in the face and they refused to review either of them?!?! Those are both things that can and should be reviewed, yet the refs ignored our protests and didn't?!?!

We shot bad and got pushed around other than that and the other non-calls. (This was the first game that reminded me of last year, since we didn't get mad and get tougher when the refs and other things didn't go our way.) Not surprised we lost, just that we rolled over and got blown out. :mad:

6. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $456
    Butler now with the 6th worst momentum trend in the country. Is a repeat of last year's late season swoon manifesting itself again? I hope not.

7. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $14,722
    Fortunately we started out with incredible non con results

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  8. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,110
    It also was funny when Woj was calling for the intentional foul or something on Nze's 4th foul.

9. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,205
  10. bwesson15

bwesson15 Well-Known Member

I don't know what happened to Golden's shot in conference play. He is under 20% from 3 and 57% free throws.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  11. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,319
    Perhaps, but...

...is spot-on. And "comical" is an understatement.

Insane Dawg and dawgs2014 like this.
  12. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,319
    Why in the world would the Big East give Butler "no respect"? It doesn't even make sense. Butler is part of the Big East.

It'd be like saying,"the Butler basketball program gives Bryce Golden [e.g.] no respect!"

Insane Dawg likes this.
  13. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,319
    I'll admit I stopped and thought about it a second.*
    Hey! Gimme a break... I haven't lived in the Midwest for 20 years!

*Only a second, though.

WMUDog likes this.
  14. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,319
    *ahem*

"Knell". But I'm really quite sure we all very much understand it was merely an issue with the auto-correct. Very good, sir.

*ahem*

Cheerio, then! (and all that rot)

15. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,720

GamesPts Allowed3Pt%FT AllowedOpp FT%
    Non-Con53.6228%13.8562%
    Non-Con (Power Conf Only)58.4330%15.2964%
    Big East70.1835%21.6479%

In the Big East, we are essentially giving up an extra 8 ppg from FT's and an extra 9 ppg from 3. Those two things pretty much make up the additional 17 ppg we are giving up from the non-con to the Big East.

16. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $943
    He’s shooting the 3 differently than he was earlier in the year. I remember commenting that he had such a nice smooth stroke, even though he had a couple rim out. There’s an extra motion there now like he’s trying to guide it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $943
    McD is the key. Averaging 7 points a game in our 5 Big East losses. When he plays well, we win.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $14,722
    In those wins McD is far more aggressive. Yesterday he was aggressive on two drives and got hammered but no calls.i think that got under his skin and it sure got under LJ’s.

19. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,720
    I think it's also worth pointing out that 2 of our last 3 opponents (both losses) had an entire week off to prepare for the Butler game.

godogs91 likes this.
  20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,986
    Yeah, that really sucks.

And really awesome that Butler gets a full week off to prepare for (*checks notes*) a home game against DePaul...