Butler Bulldogs 18-5 (6-4) vs. Marquette Golden Eagles (16-6, 6-4), 2/9, 12 PM Eastern

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 6, 2020.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,269
    Watched the game last night. Didn't read the thread. So I apologize if what I post has already been said.

1. The officiating was maybe the least consistent I have seen all year. (not why Marquette won, but it played a factor). Ok, BAD. It was HORRIBLE!
    2. The T on coach...I think Coach should have made a show of getting it on a Marquette offensive possession, not subtlety during a time out.
    3. Marquette has decided that when they are on offense, they are going to attack and initiate contact and force fouls. They they are going to flop like fish out of water to ensure that a call has to be made. The flopping was atrocious. No way that Anim and Howard are so weak they can't stand up with a little contact. I thought there was a flop rule this year in the NCAA
    4. The converse of #3. Butler isn't doing that. This is one of the reasons the fouls and FT's are such a disparity. Dawgs needed to recognize yesterday that they needed to play more downhill and drive the lane and jump INTO defenders and force contact. (NOTE: I also saw a few times when Golden and Nze tried this, got fouled, and it was ignored. But I am referring more to drives by the guards/wings.)
    5. Dawgs shot HORRIBLY from 3 again. Not sure why. Marquette did a good job of running McD off the line and not giving him open looks, but someone has to hit something.
    6. Why did Butler score the first 10 points of the game from the paint, and then suddenly forget it was an option? I don't care how ugly it was, it was working. Keep it going.
    7. Lack of bench is hurting, bad. Whatever your personal opinions are about Christian David, having another experienced body that can eat minutes and play defense is HUGE. I miss him being able to play.

On to a home game against X. The ship needs to get righted and Dawgs need to punch them in the mouth, be up 20 at the half, and just humiliate them.

Shimmy and dawgs2014 like this.
  2. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,269
    Channeling your inner Ed Cooley? ;)

Tentozen and ConnersvilleBulldog like this.
  3. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $976
    Made the trek from Chicago up to Milwaukee for the game...nothing to add that hasn't already been said. However, a Butler fan in our section was with his wife (a Marquette fan) and she was unbearable with her cheering. She literally would scream cheer every basket they made, would jump up and down constantly shaking pom poms, and would bow towards the court any time Howard or McEwen hit a shot. After halftime, her husband move to the row behind her to watch the rest of the game and when she asked him if he was really moving away from her, he just ignored her. However, this did not stop her from freaking out like a kid during finals week without his Adderall for the rest of the half. So, in summation, don't ever be that fan at a game, whether at Hinkle or on the road, Butler fan or not...it's just embarrassing.

PS...to anyone who has ever been to Milwaukee, Lakefront Brewery was boss.

DawgsMD likes this.
  4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,607
    Nut—2 things:

—I still don’t think Vall was angling to get the T but just to make a point. So when it happened I don’t think it was a part of any strategy—as in: he should have done it earlier, etc.
    —When we did go downhill, we didn't get the calls, and with the fellas in foul trouble they couldn’t risk much contact or they’d get whistled for the offensive foul. Marquette did do a nice job of pushing us out to their credit.
    —The Johnson kid was pretty effective on Nze which is why feeding the post stopped working in part.

5. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,607
    Thought there’d be some conversation about Jared’s tweet today and his data on BU fouls in BE play. I still haven't figured out how to embed a tweet so this is the best I could do:

57FF81BC-E0C2-401D-9638-89C1A270767A.png

5604C15F-600A-4D82-8894-950AED35FFDD.png

godogs91 and kmacker69 like this.
  6. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,077
    Show me a video of that in Divorce Court, and I’d grant the guy his divorce, just based on that.

DawgsMD and Tentozen like this.
  7. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,560
    And he gets the house, the kids, and every possession they own.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Sidd Finch and DawgsMD like this.
  8. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,699
    I'm really rather disappointed that there isn't video of this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,699
    @Jared, you didn't receive a response from DW about this, did you? I highly doubt it, because it would destroy his narrative.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

estar20dawg likes this.