Butler Bulldogs (18-6, 6-5 conf.) vs. Xavier (16-8, 5-6 conf.), February 12

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 10, 2020.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,269
    General Discussion for the next game.

At Hinkle Fieldhouse

6:30 PM Eastern on (checks calendar this time) Wednesday night.

On CBS SportsNet

Two teams trending the opposite directions right now.

Go Dawgs

godogs91 likes this.
  2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,722
    Saw where Butler is now the sixth worst D1 school trending south.

3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,509
    I wonder if we'll get Lappas again? So he can tell us how good butler is at guarding the 3 and how great we've been playing defense.

This game frightens me. X is rolling. We is not. X is desperate, we've been fairly mediocre. I hope we can come out guns blazing (for the love of god, run sets for McD right away). Need a "Baddley" game, as in, need that performance he gave against Marquette a couple weeks ago. It was a one off, but it was needed. We need to be able to comfortably go 7 deep moving forward. Or eventually we'll whither and die.

FRENCH DAWG, cornette33 and znelson15 like this.
  4. MadDawg2020

MadDawg2020 Member VIP Member

Big bounce back win coming for the Dawgs on Wednesday night! Bryce brothers are going to have big games. No way McD has another rough offensive night. AT will get a little more aggressive and comfortable with time. Look out for the Dawgs to go on a win streak starting on Wednedsay!

jeff likes this.
  5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,960
    Butlers website has tv records going back to 2017. In 13 games on CBSSN we’ve lost 9 and one of our wins was non conference, so maybe we are cursed by games on that network.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $173
    One team is playing with confidence, and unfortunately that team isn't Butler. They might win, but I won't be surprised if they continue their slide.

7. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,637
    FRENCH DAWG and DawgPoundMac like this.
  8. dawg767

dawg767 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $531
    Even though it's not how we play D, I think we need to extend the on-ball pressure because X can be turned over. They really don't have a PG now that Goodin has regressed so badly this year for some reason.

Bigs will have to put their football gear on to deal with Tyrique: They will be sore Thursday morning.

And agree with Willis that we finally need to start running more sets through McD (btw, Willis is the last person I would have guessed suggesting this 18 mos ago).

KenPom has this as Butler -7 or 8, which I'm afraid is more than a little bit generous given the trajectories of these teams the last few weeks. . .

9. willisbrown

Money:
    $7,509
    It's very generous, in fact down right ridiculous. If that's how it plays out we are rolling deep with X. In fact I may pick them to flat out win the way we are playing.

10. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,054
    Come out be aggressive and set the tone of the game. If we let X push us around it's going to be a long night.

Al_ likes this.
  11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $14,722
    Actually it could be a short night for the Dawgs. Two things concern me most about this match up - Xavier’s determination and Jones’ determination.

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,986
    Per Torvik, using January data alone, Xavier ranked 81st. Using February data alone, they literally rank 1st.

Butler was 6th overall through January 1st. From Jan 1 to present, they rank just 51st, and a miserable 89th through 3 February games.

Which teams show up? Either team could route the other. They’re trending sharply in opposite directions, but it could be time for a reversion to their true level for each.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

Insane Dawg likes this.
  13. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,540
    A must win!

14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $14,722
    To me it’s “who wants it most “will win.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  15. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,298
    I usually get super fired up for Xavier hate week, but this time I'm kinda not? It kinda feels like any other game.
    Is it because in general I'm pretty busy this week and not paying attention to basketball much? Is it because of X's early season performance, their fans have been generally/oddly pleasant? Certainly the opposite trends thing has me worried, as has the fact that Butler's perimeter defense is whiffing and X finally learned how to be an adequate 3 pt shooting team.

cornette33 and Insane Dawg like this.
  16. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,960
    I think there has to be some reversion at some point. We’re overdue in a number of areas. Just as we were never a 23% 3 point defense, were also not 42.5% as we have been since the Seton Hall game.

Aaron Thompson also was one of the most statistically effective defenders in the country until he got hurt (seriously-opponents were 20/107 on jump shots against him), and has been getting lit up since he returned.

I expect both of those to revert, though I could see Thompson taking more time until he recovers enough to regain his strength/full ability to be physical.

Hinkle likes this.
  17. willisbrown

Money:
    $7,509
    I'd guess as game time comes closer, you'll get the feelz but I'm with you. I want to be fired up as usual but, I'm just kinda meh right now about it. I think Sunday has something to do with it...as fired up as we were after Wednesday, we were just as let down by the performance on Sunday. A drubbing like that can really take it out of fandom.

Also I agree with your second point and the point Hinkle was making earlier...these trends are kinda frightening. And they are coming to a head at the worst time. I wouldn't say I'm "scared" of tomorrow night, but I'm entering it with no confidence and no matter the line my coin is going on Xavier. One for jinx purposes, but two because they've been rolling and the season is catching up to us. Bad combo. I say that to say, hard to get too lit about the game when expecting a loss. At least for me.

18. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,960
    I believe that we are much better than we’ve played recently, and much closer to what we saw in non conference. I don’t have a lot of conviction in that, however, because I haven’t seen anything that resembles that for quite a while.

I just kind of have no clue about what to expect.

19. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,077
    Just like many said Georgetown would wear down in BE play because they were going to be really short on bodies, it sure seems like the lack of production from the bench is catching up with us. We're not the same team we were in non-conference and the teams in the BE are, generally speaking, better than the teams we played in the non-conference. Bad combination. Not saying we're going to lose for sure (look how we played X last year at Hinkle), but it's a bad combination.

cornette33 likes this.
  20. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,960
    BU effectively defended Howard although others were left open and responded by knocking down 3s. The first game it worked for the most part, not so much the 2nd time around. I'd expect BU to attempt to defend the post and LJ to make adjustments from there against X.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020