Butler Bulldogs (18-6, 6-5 conf.) vs. Xavier (16-8, 5-6 conf.), February 12

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 10, 2020.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,960
    Explanation number 2 as to “why don’t I just list here?”

How many people on this board live in Indy and don’t have season tix? Not many, right? So most who frequent the board are not in the market for tix.

Then, how many Butler fans are willing to pay $430- $480 for tix to a single game. Why would you EVER do that when you can get pretty good season tix for about double that.

Yet that’s happened to me 3 time this year. (I have the receipts) It’s probably gone to visiting fans because that’s the logical explanation since assuming a butler fan would spend that for a single game but not just buy season tickets is insane.

So, now we have a marketplace of people who mostly live out of town, or already have tix. And a good that’s selling for a price that makes it arguably cheaper to buy the whole season for and sell the rest, and you wonder why we sell elsewhere?

simple reasoning can show that it’s the question you’re asking that is the problem, not the action you’re questioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,207
    Agreed it was great last night, but I dunno I just haven't been able to get on board with the bolded this year. I get the rivalry and I've yelled plenty of things at/about the team from Cincy in Hinkle that have gotten me warnings from the security guys when I was a student, but it just seems tacky chanting it when they aren't even there. And it doesn't help discredit the Xavier fan's narrative of us being their little brother, even if that is an asinine claim. I mean, we made fun of Wright State for the Buck Futler shirts and Valpo for being obsessed with us in the Horizon League right? But I also hate court rushes in 99% of circumstances who knows.

willisbrown likes this.
  3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,960
    The bad blood between BU and X goes back to the sucker punch incident of Darin Archbold, not so much about the close proximity of the schools. Detroit was the origin of shirts. Wright State merely stole the idea.

jkcdawgs likes this.
  4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,607
    Ok—y’all selling tickets to opponents fans stink. You just do. Sounds like you’re more interested in recouping your investment than supporting your team. Like I said—ask the people around you for contact info and notify them first. Sell at face value to BU fans. Trust me, the people around you low key hate you for making them sit next to x fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

mwall787, BoyGeoff and jkcdawgs like this.
  5. BulldogPowers

BulldogPowers New Member

Money:
    $46
    Wright State had the "Beat Butler" shirts. I always thought we should have countered with Beat Everybody shirts.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Butler Hoops mobile app

seadawg likes this.
  6. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,699
    There were a couple youngish X fans seat-squatting in 118/119 last night. They started in 118 about 5 rows up, and when someone came to those seats they just bounced their way up. Think they ended up in 119 about 15 rows up. Surprised someone didn't point them out to security.

7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,986
    Give me a break, man.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

BulldogsAllTheWay likes this.
  8. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $763
    I hate when we chant Xavier sucks if we are playing any team that's not Xavier. It's childish and ignorant.

9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,509
    100% agree with this. When I was younger I worried much more about the opponent and how much I hated them, but making any opponent, playing them and especially when you are not playing, is simply them playing you. They are in your head. I'd much rather cheer for my guys and fire up the base with things about Butler than chanting "Xavier (or whoever) sucks!"

Same with shirts. Wearing shirts about another squad is tacky. I don't ever recall seeing this at Butler but you see it other places and it's annoying.

2xDawg, tlp63 and Albick like this.
  10. Robinzine Crying

Robinzine Crying Active Member

Money:
    $314
    If I sold at face, Jack Purdum, my freshman Econ prof at Butler, would hunt me down and kill me. But thanks for the advice.

11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,960
    I sold my tickets begrudgingly because after 6 months of planning to be there, I would have had to drive through 8 hours of dark snowy roads. It was a matter of safety.

What about that is unreasonable?

Besides the tickets being my property, I’m not at a stage of my life where I’ve accumulated wealth over dozens of years. The extra money legitimately makes a material difference in my life.

If I were only concerned with profiting, I would buy crossroad tickets regardless of if I could go or not, I’d donate nothing, and buy cheap season tickets and pay people like me for single game tickets.

Instead, I buy season tickets, donate significant amounts, go to every big game I can possibly get to, and recoup what I can. It’s not like I’m doing this living in Broad Ripple. I’m doing this knowing that every time I do this is a 9+ hour time investment, late nights and early mornings, and a guaranteed substantial financial loss.

You’re allowed to resent it, but let’s not act like you would do a single thing differently in my shoes.

bwesson15, WMUDog and estar20dawg like this.
  12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,986
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about it, either. Sure do like it when we're playing X though.

SnoopDawg and huss587 like this.
  13. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $3,468
    My class made “The Butler University shirts” back in late 2000s when OSU came to the building. I loved it.

willisbrown likes this.
  14. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,802
    I love this. Do it every game.

15. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $967

Also, there's a great article on Henry in The Athletic today, with several good JT quotes, including: “Henry stepped up,” Tucker said. “He was ready for it. He embraced the moment. It was just fun to see. I was just smiling. I know how he works. He’s on scout team in practice, working as the other team’s best player and making us work. You know he’s capable of doing it. He’s one of the most mentally tough guys I’ve ever met.”

NateDog, 2xDawg, bwesson15 and 7 others like this.
  16. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,607
    Credit to you for staying connected and the significant time investment with attending home games. I’m being sincere. But I don’t think of my season tickets as a commodity to profit from and as stated gave away 2 tickets to the X game. So yes, I did do something in this case differently than you chose. I don’t resent what you did, but I certainly would have if I had seats next to yours. What’s wrong with seeing if the BU folks around you would like to purchase the seats first?

17. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $552
    I have been a season ticket holder since 2011. I have 3 tickets and a parking pass. Of course I can't make it to all the games. I have never sold a ticket but I have a raffle at work, no charge, just put your name in. I see it as good for staff moral (they love it) and a guarantee to get the seats to Butler fans.

2xDawg, huss587, harvesting and 3 others like this.
  18. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,560
    Why would people with seats wanna buy his tickets? Makes no sense.

This narrative needs to die. Does it suck hearing a “Let’s go X” chant in Hinkle? Sure but it happened once and it was still a massive home court advantage for Butler. There was what 500 Xavier fans? Big deal. Most of the noise was coming from the 300 sections where there were unsold seats. Season ticket holders selling their tickets isn’t some epidemic. And I definitely don’t understand being mad at someone for doing it

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    tlp63, huss587 and WMUDog like this.
  19. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,960
    There are potentially two key differences here though.

1) I don’t know your financial situation, I don’t claim to and I’m not going to speak for you. Obviously I’m not hurting, but I also don’t have a large amount of money to fall back on. Basically all the money I get from ticket sales means another less dollar of savings that I have to dig into.

2) When I lived in Indy and could attend every game, I looked at my season tix as like something I got to do all the time throughout the winter. I paid and donated what I was able to at the time, and considered that money gone because the experience justified it and it was a continuing source of entertainment. Once I moved away, it became a connection to the university. I could give a donation as a “thanks” to the school, and I’d be guaranteed a premier experience on the special occasions that I go back. It’s not something I look forwards to weekly, it’s not consistent or promised. I cannot be returned the value of what I pay like I was in Indy, it’s impossible. So, if I want to tangibly maintain my connection to the school and still feel like I’m getting value out of it, I have to offset what I pay with what I can make by selling.

With regards to the people around me, there are a couple factors. Until this year, there wasn’t the same group around me for a couple years. This year, between the various circumstances keeping me from traveling I’ve only been to Minnesota, Creighton and Florida so I don’t know my neighbors too well. I also don’t want to ask them to pay what the secondary market will. It feels like extortion. Generally I’m willing to sell to a butler fan at about what I’d make from selling online, saving them all the fees, and giving them a savings of the sellers fees I pay, so basically just under a 10% discount from the selling price. That’s still a LOT of money. There’s not a large market for that, but there obviously is a market. I’m willing to sell for significantly less for them, but only because we can take out the fees and both win, but I’m not willing to ask them to pay that.

Additionally, I don’t think many Butler fans would pay me face for tix to games that aren’t worth face, so I don’t feel overly compelled to limit my price to face for games that are worth more.

20. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,802
    You guys are writing a book on Hinkle’s issues.

I’m sure there is somebody else willing to sit in your fourth row seat that will happily attend every game, and if they can’t, give them to a BU fan at face value. You “fans” should be the people looking for tickets on the secondary market, not selling your season tickets.