Butler Bulldogs (18-6, 6-5 conf.) vs. Xavier (16-8, 5-6 conf.), February 12

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 10, 2020.

1. BornADawg

BornADawg Active Member

Money:
    $119
    Agreed! It’s a staff liability that can easily be corrected. They’ve been much better this year so I won’t dog them too much but Brad use to yell one word when things got stagnant, “move!” This staff never does that. Hell, I do it from the stands. It’s basic basketball. You become really easily to defend when there are no screens away from the ball, ball reversals, or constant player movement.

2. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $3,784
    It sometimes feels that when KB is PG, the “moving” is only after a play is called in. Things start quicker with AT at PG. probably related to what coach said in presser about “real-time” adjustments AT can make.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

knobcreekfan likes this.
  3. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,512
    People can do whatever they want with their tickets. That's why this is America.

As noted, it just seemed odd to me that so many Xavier fans were concentrated in one corner of the fieldhouse.

When separated, and not in numbers, they aren't nearly as loud or annoying.

Either way, glad we could send them home with the L.

Tentozen likes this.
  4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,258
    I read this and lost brain cells.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $624
    You are fine dawg2014. Nothing unreasonable at all.

bwesson15, harvesting and dawgs2014 like this.
  6. huss587

huss587 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $458
    I kind of love that this thread has evolved into a cost-benefit analysis of sorts with regard to season ticket holders selling their seats.

While I don’t frequent any other boards, this seems so incredibly “Butler”. As an alumni it makes me proud and also chuckle.

But to anyone concerned over the lack of home court advantage we “don’t” have... The fact that we have the nation’s longest non-conference home winning streak should put an end to that debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shimmy, Tentozen and UDDawg like this.
  7. Geoffrey Bannister

Geoffrey Bannister Member

Money:
    $84
    “A huge contention of fans” is good.

2xDawg likes this.
  8. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,235
    Are you contending it should be contingent? Irregardless, their’s no doubt, for all intense and purposes, that was the idea. ;)

2xDawg and tlp63 like this.
  9. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Well-Known Member

Money:
    $524
    I don’t understand many of the comments about our “thin” bench. Dawgs still have a good productive bench with a lot of experience. Having Baddley, Jordan, and Battle coming off the bench is nice. Plus, rest Smits until BE tourney and you’re going to have a good bench to call on. The only shortcoming is a point guard off the bench.

10. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Well-Known Member

Money:
    $524
    I appreciate it when X fans pay money to support Butler Athletics. It’s the gift that keeps on giving. Butler should create a scholarship in their name that goes to a Butler student athlete. Call it the “X scholarship athlete of the year”.

11. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,907
    The thing is, it happens every year they load up on sections 305-307. They are loud each time. I think the reason everyone noticed it this time is because it was one of the few times the Dawgs didn’t get $hit stomped by them.

They’re loud and obnoxious, and probably a large number of them OSU football fans, so makes a ton of sense.

BigHoss and BUcheer like this.
  12. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,118
    With all of the talk about selling tickets to Xavier fans, are there really that many people who have season tickets in the 300's?

Could it just be that Xavier fans circle that game on their calendar and scoop up single games tickets in that section whenever they go on sale?

13. FriarDawg

FriarDawg Member

Money:
    $116
    I was there for that game and you are absolutely right. That’s when it kicked into high gear. I f’ng hate that school and the City it comes from.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,202
    Yeah, I have conflicting feelings/opinions about all this.

I'm a Brewers fan, so I definitely know how ****ty it feels when another team's fanbase has a large presence in your home venue. It's why I refuse to go to a Brewers-Cubs series at Miller Park (I know I'm gonna get slammed for this, feels like this board is full of Cubs fans). It's widely accepted that lots of Brewers fans can come close to recouping the investment in their season tickets by selling their Cubs tickets online for a huge markup; and surely they know that the vast majority of buyers will be Cubs fans. But hey, as others on here have already noted, that's their right. I may not like it, but there's nothing that can/should be done to stop it. On a related note, I HATE the "Wisconsin residents only" pre-sale the Brewers have done the last few years. Just reinforces the little brother status.

All that said, I can hate the fact that rival fans have an outsized presence, but at the same time not be demanding that tickets only be sold to Butler fans. It's a free market. Not gonna suggest to people what to do with their money.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  15. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,118
    I definitely feel this. As a Reds fan, I make it a point to avoid going to GABP when the Cubs are in town.

16. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,692
    I sometimes experience the same thing at Colts games too.

17. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,258
    And I totally get this. I don’t like sitting by visiting fans in Hinkle either, so I totally understand it.

I do try to make it a point to tell people that I sit near that I’m from out of town in hopes that they’ll be a bit more understanding, but if they resent it, I get it.

I just don’t view that as a reason to act in their best interests rather than mine.

18. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $771
    They are there every year en masse and loud when X is leading or gaining ground. In the years they beat us at Hinkle, my anguish was amplified by the noise they made. This year, once the "let's go X" got going in the 2nd half, the Hinkle crowd responded and drowned them out. I did not hear them again. Hinkle was LOUD for this game. The students were great.
    X has a solid fan base. They travel to Indy and both teams dislike each other. Gotta give some props to their fans for supporting their team. (even though the definition for "Tool" in Webster's is ("see X fan").
    Take it from a Dayton Flyer Alum (which means I have twice the loathing for X than you do)

19. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,770
    Healthy rivalries are great for sports in general. BU and X have never been such after the incident in the hand shake line. Most students are probably unaware of it. To offer some illumination, Darin Archbold has had a very successful career in the financial sector and served as a motivational speaker. Maurice Brantley 'the puncher" on the other hand has convictions for manslaughter and subsequent drug convictions. This is why there is so much bitterness. It explains the X's thug image. Maybe things will simmer down with the new coach. For me, I would rather eat the costs of my tickets, rather than provide X fans a seat, but to each his own.

BUcheer and pjohnsto2003 like this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,821
    I think a lot of the recent stuff at Xavier laid at the feet of Chris Mack. Mack thrived at being an ass on the floor. I think Steele is classier. Note how Steele took his player out immediately after AT got hurt. Mack would have left the player in. A lot of what happens on the floor and off the floor is a direct reflection of the HC and his expectations.

bwesson15, thevinrod, Shimmy and 2 others like this.