Butler Bulldogs (18-6, 6-5 conf.) vs. Xavier (16-8, 5-6 conf.), February 12

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 10, 2020.

1. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,383
    The Xavier fans, definitely did not like that Steele sat Carter for the rest of the game after he took out AT...stay classy that other school in Cincy, not the one that came from behind last night with a huge OT win, the other classier school...

seadawg likes this.
  2. brian35

brian35 Member

Money:
    $18
    Steele is classier than Mack and his is, of course, a Butler guy.

Tentozen and thevinrod like this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,986
    Carter was taken out because he was flat out awful all game.

I’ve been lucky enough to be courtside most games this season through a friend. I actually expected to be sad that it would be difficult to hate Steele based on the interviews I’ve seen with him, but I was pleasantly surprised to find he had the most hateable sideline demeanor of any coach so far this season (Willard being second). Some of the things TS said to the refs, man. I was blown away he never got T’d. And the refs lack of respect for him was nuts. Constantly eye rolling.

Mike white, McDermott, and Wright were each tough to dislike.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

4. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,747
    A little surprised to hear that about McDermott, seems like he's whining 24/7.

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,986
    He works them hard. And so does Jay. Realllly hard. But you can do that and be reasonable about what you’re saying and how you’re saying it.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

Sidd Finch and Tentozen like this.
  6. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $648
    Accurate.Cooley is right up there if not at the top though. He lost it big time against St John’s this week. I realize their season is on the line at this point, but no excuse for his ranting for 2 hours. I think Cooley and Steele top the list in first. Willard holds second.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. btlrblldg

btlrblldg Active Member

Money:
    $472
    *Intensive Purposes

Sidd Finch and 2xDawg like this.
  8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,383
    Completely agree on Steele, he is ALWAYS whining and it even sounds like a whine when he talks...

9. btlrblldg

btlrblldg Active Member

Money:
    $472
    This happens out here in CO too. But in fairness, the Rockies don't have a natural fan base and the city is obscenely transient, also everyone and their mom became a "life long" Cubs fan about 15 years ago, which doesn't help.

10. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $456
    As a Flyer and Dawg fan living in Dayton, I can never forget one of the most infamous nights in UD/X history

Before transferring to X, Chris Mack played for Jim Crews at Evansville. At an Aces/Flyers game at UD Arena, Mack was trying to get a dead-ball in bounds during a hotly contested game. Before the ref hit 5 on the count....and having no other option....Mack threw the ball off of Flyer center Wes Coffee's face. Not once....but twice. There was nearly an all out riot. Mack has been hated here ever since. The hatred only grew stronger when Mack transferred to X....and later became head coach.

Sidd Finch and UDDawg like this.
  11. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,620
    There was a reason why UD fans would chant “A$$hole” every time Mack touched the ball during his playing days. I grew up going to UD games, having lived just north of there, and as a kid, I always wondered why. I completely understand it now.

Sidd Finch, UDDawg and Tentozen like this.
  12. fan

fan Active Member

Money:
    $176
    Hate seeing anything good or even neutral on this board about Xavier. They are a G-damned crime syndicate and nothing else. They should not be allowed into college sports. They have done nothing observable to outsiders to correct their sordid record in the recruitment and playing of flat out violent dangerous criminals. I can never understand why any parent worth a damn would send their athlete children to Xavier if any other school was an option.

13. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $3,468
    Well to be fair, it’s one thing if parents are footing the bill vs. athletic scholarship where kid has options. But I understand the sentiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

dawgs2014 likes this.
  14. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,747
    It got especially ugly near the end of the rivalry because Mack ended up marrying a girl who played basketball at UD. I'm not gonna get the details totally right, but my freshman year there was X's last year in the A-10 (the year Butler was in it) and I remember she was getting heckled pretty badly.

Sidd Finch, pjohnsto2003 and iluvsnow like this.
  15. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,295
    I don't mind it one bit, I just wish Butler fans would get more creative than "Xavier sucks" and be a little more judicious with it.

The phrases "Go to Hell State!" and "Go to Hell Duke" are practically part of the alma mater at Chapel Hill and it feels wrong when those phrases aren't included.

I about fell out laughing at the 2000 Final Four when I saw an MSU fan wearing a "Wolverines **** squirrels" t-shirt in the arena. Still think it's the funniest rivalry shirt I've seen, all these years later, despite the curse word.

16. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,607
    Now that Mack is gone, many X fans are now confessing they think he’s a jerk. He left Evansville under a cloud.

17. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $800
    B
    It seems to be cloudy a lot in E'ville . . .

seadawg and Sidd Finch like this.
  18. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,637
    The Reds should jack up ticket prices when the Cubs come to town, just as the Cardinals do. GABP is an easy drive from Indy metro, and you can sit just about anywhere for less than $30. Last time I went to Stl to see the Cubs it cost me $90 a seat in the right field corner, 2nd deck. Know your market base!

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,960
    Agreed. Sports entities have definitely started embracing variable pricing but generally I think they don’t go far enough, especially with single game tickets. It’s not fan friendly, but I think the cubs actually do a good job of maximization, where their diamond tier tickets cost an arm and a leg to buy.

20. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Active Member

Money:
    $494
    The Reds have taken to marketing in-game around the Cubs.