Butler Bulldogs (18-6) vs Villanova Wildcats (21-2) - 2/14

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,949
  2. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    Quick note before discussion of the game begins since this is a sell out. If you are buying resale tickets I encourage you to look at Vivid Seats via the "Buy Tickets" link in the game info above to see if they can beat/match what you find elsewhere. ButlerHoops gets 7% back in any purchase that begins from that link, so you can help support the site by doing something you were already going to do anyways.

3. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,293
    Can I just say, as the leader of Dawg Pound, I've been really glad that all you oldies (I kid) have been getting loud and rowdy and aggressive. That's all we ever want from the fans at games. Keep it up!

ALSO: DON'T FORGET TO WEAR WHITE TO THE GAME. IT'S A WHITE-OUT!

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,706
    Big game, huh?

Yesterday was mostly great. I kinda hate the week off before we tackle these dudes. But, rest up boys, and let's punch these dudes in the mouth. If so, party time.

5. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $590
    Any idea who the analysts are for this one? Please not Gotlieb

6. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Active Member

Money:
    $297
    Biggest game at Hinkle since Gonzaga, and honestly this one is bigger because it affects the conference standings and could decide the Big East regular season champion. I wish it would get the TV coverage of a game this big, but I'll be at Hinkle and it will be rocking.

7. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    I loved what Holtmann and Lewis said. The players have earned the right to play in this game. They definitely belong on this stage with Nova. Be interesting to see if we enter this game tied or one back. Providence can make a big statement Wed nite that they are going to be in this for the full 18. If Nova wins, this game Sat will be a chance for them to put a stranglehold on the league. If Butler wins, it's a 6 game Conference season.

I don't who the final 6 favors.

Here's Butler's schedule

at Creigh
    at Xavier
    vs Marq
    at Depaul
    vs Georgetown
    at Prov

Here's Nova's schedule

vs Seton Hall
    at Marq
    vs Prov
    at Xavier
    at Creighton
    vs St John's

We and Nova play 4 of the same teams. The 2 others I think favor Nova. They get both St Johns and Seton Hall at home where we get Georgetown at home and DePaul on the road.

Both Nova and Butler have been playing great. Nova has won it's last 4 games by 21, 13, 18, 16 since their shocking beatdown by the Hoyas. Since we lost to Providence at home to drop to 1-2, we have won 7 of 8. Lost a gut wrencher to the Hoyas. A game I thought we played well enough to win. Things kind of evened out though as we only played about 11 good minutes at Marq and stole one up there. During this homestand Butler has literally torn St Johns and DePaul apart. Some of the best basketball I have seen Butler play since 2010.

Can't wait till Sat....Go Butler.

8. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Hope you TV viewers get Pete Gillen. Love his work as an color commentator.

9. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Michael Pointer @michaelpointer · 22h 22 hours ago
    Anyone that says the expected #Butler to be in this position isn't being truthful. Even people around #Butler didn't expect this.

---------

Pointer cat needs to read this board more. Numerous people on here(including myself) thought we could get to the Nova game with it having major ramifications. Go look at my post in the Big East Conversation thread after we beat X to get to 2-2. Butler is a very good basketball team with great player leadership. Extremely well coached too. To me this isn't really surprising. The only surprising parts of the last 8 games have been Copeland banging that 3 ball and how we stole the Marq game.

10. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    Maybe at the start of conference play several people predicted this. Or even a few games in. But very few did at the start of the year. Definitely can't say nobody, but the majority projected under .500 records. Here is a prediction thread in the pre-season:

http://butlerhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726

This post and the post later down the page predicting a win over UNC make me look like a genius now. We can just ignore all the other times I was wrong ;)

http://butlerhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726&page=7&p=45467#post45467

11. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,637
    Jealous!

12. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Nick Coit ‏@NickCoit 9h9 hours ago
    .@PCAthletics says Ed Cooley has been released from Cincinnati hospital, is on his way home, plans to coach Wednesday vs. Villanova @ABC6

----------

Really like the fact Nova has to play a taxing game just 72 hours before facing us......

13. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein Feb 7
    Villanova's greatest strength is its balance. Cats have 9 different players score between 8 and 15 points in 16-point win over Georgetown.

----------

I kind of wonder though if they have an alpha dog that can "just go get a bucket" late in a tight game. Pinkston and Hilliard have been inconsistent and erratic this year. Their balance could actually hinder them vs elite teams and in the NCAA's. One thing Butler really has is two, maybe three guys that can go get a hoop at anytime. Butler has really been a remarkable turnaround on offense. Dunham and Jones are very tough covers.

14. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein · Feb 7
    Add Butler to the list of potential 4 or 5 seeds that could break open your bracket. Bulldogs have culture, toughness, and Roosevelt Jones.

15. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $590
    I look like a genius predicting the UNC win in that thread as well, I also predicted we would go 18-13...but hey nobody's perfect. I had us actually winning Saturday's game....we'll see if I'm a fortune teller or not.

16. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,463
    Nova shut down Dunham in the first game. We're really going to need other guys to step up and score. I remember our offense going cold for what felt like an eternity. If it's a loud crowd and we play a complete game like against Xavier, I'd feel very confident. The guys are definitely playing better now than the last time we saw them. Go Dawgs.

17. Grandpa Bulldog

Grandpa Bulldog Member

Money:
    $27
    Great that Coach Cooley is on the mend and will be back on the bench soon!

18. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    What is nice is that it was only a couple years ago (37 home games ago)...not decades.

Really like that it will be in our gym in front of a packed and rowdy house on Saturday. Them playing 72 hours before could be a blessing or a curse, depending on how Providence comes out.

19. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Active Member

Money:
    $295
    I'm torn. Part of me wants to see Providence beat Nova so we have a chance to take the lead on Saturday. The other part of me wants to see Nova beat Providence so we aren't seeing a pissed off Nova team looking for redemption on Saturday.

20. Dawgs4Life

Dawgs4Life Active Member

Money:
    $133
    Not enough unrealistic homers on this board then. I predict a National Championship run pretty much every year. That's why I'm a lurker who rarely posts, so I can spare the more down to Earth fans of my ridiculous thoughts.