Butler Bulldogs (18-6) vs Villanova Wildcats (21-2) - 2/14

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Feb 8, 2015.

1. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,060
    5 wks from now would be the start of the first round of NCAA tourney. Any chance a hand can heal that fast?

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,790
    All kinds of conflicting stuff on twitter this morning regarding Chrab. From the sound of it, best case scenario is getting him back sometime around Championship Week. Bottom line: these last few weeks of the regular season are going to be really, really difficult. Have to start by playing well tomorrow night. Nova is over. On to Omaha.

3. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,307
    So who do we start in his place? My vote is Wideman.

EDIT: except for the Creighton game. AE should get that one for the simple fact we're playing in front of 16,000 crazy people.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,790
    I would love to see Wideman get the start, but I have a feeling AE will eat up most of the missing Chrab time.

Now would be an awfully great time for AE to really find his stroke.

5. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,060
    I don't think it will be Martin. It will either be Etherington or Wideman. Martin is too valuable off bench. W e lose the ability to hit from 3 and some of the isolation stuff they run for 45. Very nervous about Monday. Jays have been playing better. Going to be tight.

6. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $586
    Does anyone know which finger was affected?

7. ItalianDawg

ItalianDawg Member

Money:
    $62
    Agreed. I think Etherington will be starting, splitting minutes with Wideman, and Davis replacing AE as the backup PF subbing in for Kam.

I remember coach Holtmann saying Kelan wouldn't play the 2 or the 4 this year. Curious to see if, given the circumstances, he changes his mind.

8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,131
  9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,535
    Wideman's offense is a project. Rebounding he is solid. Defense still needs work. Don't see him starting. Woods will be the five and Etherington or Martin a wing.

10. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,307
    Wideman has the size and strength to power through two guys covering him for a layup, but I saw one instance especially last night where he hesitated a la Kam Woods, who lacks the strength to push through that. Wideman can and should just blast through them. He's going to be a monster in the next 3 years.

11. DawgPoundMac

DawgPoundMac Active Member

Money:
    $216
    Personally, I think starting Etherington would be the smartest decision to start at least at Creighton on Monday. He may not have the scoring, but the experience he brings would benefit the rest of the team on the road in a hostile environment.

Mix in the three freshman after that. A small lineup with Martin could be the best option at the moment.

12. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,041
    I agree. I think AE starts. Time for the senior to step into a bigger role, but it will be a tough test tomorrow with the quick turnaround. Now would also be a good time to see what we can get from JD. AC got some starts late in the season last year. I think it's going to be by committee to spell AC for whatever length of time he is out.

I guess we've been living on borrowed time lately, with our lack of depth. We've been lucky to be as healthy as we have been lately. Let's hope we can shore this thing up and get in the dance....

Next man up.....

13. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    No one is going to replace Chrabascz as an interior offensive player, which is a big problem. Chrabascz had been averaging 12.75 ppg during Big East play, and was really the only semblance of balance that this team had offensively. If he's out for a significant period of time, Butler essentially becomes a 5 out, none in offensive team. Martin's the only one that can really make up a portion of the scoring they lose with Chrabascz, but if he hasn't learned the 4 spot yet, I don't see them throwing him in there now. My guess is (again assuming he's out for awhile) that they'll start Etherington, rotate Woods over there for when Wideman comes in, and I do think we'll see Jackson Davis now for a few minutes fairly consistently.

14. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $268
    Come on bro- that's like saying the Bulls rebound rate without Rodman was the same as with Rodman, completely irrational statement you are trying to make, but don't let that stop you- LOL. Woods is far and away the teams top rebounder and interior defender, you lose that and you are officially toast. Wideman or Etherington will rebound better than Chrabs and Wideman is more athletic and better equipped as a rim protector. Losing Chrabs hurts you most offensively and that is where collectively, everyone esle will have to pick up the slack. It's a huge opportunity for Wideman, Eth & Davis and to a lesser degree martin as all of their minutes will increase.

15. BornADawg

BornADawg Member

Money:
    $32
    Has no one else seen AE get successfully attacked on defense the last few games?!?! Not trying to be funny but if he hasn't been able to rebound, defend, or score of late why do some feel he should get the extra minutes? Have to get more than "upperclassmen poise" from AC's vacant minutes.

16. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    Etherington is going to replace Chrabascz in the starting line up (at least for now), I can pretty much guarantee. When Chrabs was getting a rest, it was almost always Etherington in for him. I imagine Etherington won't get anywhere near his minutes though, and rather it will be a "replacement by committee" situation with Wideman, Davis, and Martin all getting more minutes (and some unusual lineups as a result).

Let's hope Chrabascz is back by the BE tournament (to give him at least a couple games to adjust before the NCAA tournament). Our bid itself should not be in jeopardy, and if he does return in time the seeding shouldn't suffer much given the "adjustment for injuries" policy the committee is supposed to use.

17. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,543
    The C story is developing, we'll know more later. But for now, it looks pretty ****ty.

That game sucked balls.

So, what to do now? Personally, I'd go with Martin and make Jones our Barkley. He surely can body up with about anyone and Kam is just going to have to play some really good help side D down low. Martin can and will do anything we need. And I keep hearing and seeing the words on the twitterz like "small"...dude is 6'6" and built like a tank. C wasn't our biggest rebounder but that will take a hit. Still, in my opinion, you put your next best player in. That sure as hell isn't Etherington or Wideman. It's Martin. Play him at the two, shift KD to the 3, Jones to the four and there you go. It's not a huge lineup, but certainly isn't small. 6'9", 6'6", 6'6", 6'4" and 5'11". We can play like that.

Saying that, you then take the other three guys and rotate them in. Wideman and Davis especially are going to need their balls to drop big time. They have the ability.

We have 6 games left. A split gives us a 21-10 record with an RPI in the high 20s or 30s. IF C is out extended time, which it seems that is the case, a split is the best we can hope for. Without him, we can take down Marquette and DePaul. Tomorrow is the key. Find a way to rise up and beat Creighton in Omaha will tell us a lot. If we dont' have C...Xavier, Gtown and Providence will all be losses.

18. BornADawg

BornADawg Member

Money:
    $32
    I think you have to go with Martin and move RJ to the 4 Veasley style. Adding another nonscorer to the starting lineup will make it even tougher on AB and KD. Or just use a simple can/can't chart. AE and the 3 Frosh all struggle on D. Martin can score, Wideman can rebound in traffic, and JD brings some athleticism. Why go with the person with the least on the "can" side?!

19. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,543
    I think the "start Etherington" crowd is saying that based on experience alone-that he won't be intimidated tomorrow night in a wild place to play. The argument surely isn't about basketball skill.

You play your best players. The five best we have at this moment are KD, AB, Rose, Kam and Martin. That's what needs to happen.

20. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $649
    I know that you were partly kidding but I wish that we could just shelve this stuff. A lot of programs would like to be "cursed" and ranked 18th in the nation. It's not like other teams never have injuries and coaching changes.