Butler Bulldogs (18-6) vs Villanova Wildcats (21-2) - 2/14

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Feb 8, 2015.

1. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $249
    If Martin were to start- it would not shock me at all to see him pull a 20 point game out of nowhere. It's not like we lost Paul George- there are some damn good options available and someone is going to get a chance to really take their game up a notch. I initially thought Wideman but Martin is a nightmare to guard, you just are going to get more mistakes from him on both sides but if anyone thinks losing Chrabs is in any way an excuse to not beat: at Creighton, Marquette, GT at home, or DeP on the road, you are nuts!! At Providence was going to be a matchup struggle to begin with and at X is/was never going to be easy. Anything less than a 3-3 would be a major disappointment and 4-2 is probably where it ends up. They are just as likely to win at Prov or X as they are to lay an egg at Creigh or home to GT

2. GO_DAWGS!

GO_DAWGS! Active Member

Money:
    $77
    No Austin does not do anything particularly overly well, but he does more of the things Chrab did in a single person. He can shoot the three(which Tyler and JD can't/won't), he can defend the post(Martin can't) will make the right rotations on both ends(other three struggle, he is a willing and decent passer and a big enough body to grab a rebound. Chrab was great in that he did a little bit of it all, and kept his man honest and out of the lane with the threat of a three.

Only thing AE can't do at all that Chrab did well was post up...and honestly the other three haven't proved they can do that whatsoever.

AE will get the start, at least tomorrow, and the other minutes will go up. I mean ****, so far, AE and Wideman couldn't play a whole game because they would both foul out.

3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,707
    GP just tweeted C is out 2-4 weeks. With a Butler Bulldog, I'm taking the under. He'll be back in two or a little less.

4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,135
    Yeah, something is "broken", but not sure it's a bone. And was told quick rehab (hopefully).

5. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    IMO, that's part of it, but it's also in part because out of the options that Coach Holtmann has, he's played the most minutes at the 4 this season. You're talking about changing Kelan Martin's position that he's used to playing in 48 hours. I'm not saying it can't happen over the course of a few weeks if that's what Holtmann thinks needs to happen if Chrabascz is going to be out for an extended period of time, but it isn't happening on one day of prep.

I could see Wideman starting against Xavier and rotating Kam to the 4 since they would need someone to deal with Stainbrook, but you'd really have to try and protect him from fouling out in that one. Until something official comes out on this though, everything after the Creighton game is pretty much up in the air and may depend on matchups.

6. Irishdawg

Money:
    $72
    Hah, and of course, right after I post it, Chrabascz is out 2-4 weeks with a broken right hand.

7. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    If the estimate is accurate, 2-4 weeks isn't bad: would be back in time for NCAA tournament at minimum.

8. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    One guy that I want to see really tackle this adversity is Kam Woods. He's a Senior. It's his last go around. IMO he does have the ability to chip in more offensively. It really hasn't been asked of him this year as Barlow has really evolved as an offensive threat and the other three were 1, 2, 3 options in the starting 5. We saw Kam really play well offensively at the tail end of his SOPH year. JR year was a complete wash as he was out of position and we were undermanned. If he takes shots he has a good chance of making, he can bump his PPG up and pick up some slack.

As Chas said earlier Kelan Martin with some extended minutes could drop a number on some team.

I think we will be OK till 45 gets back. The Freshmen can play. I am anxious to see what Jackson Davis can do. I love his bounce and motor. Wideman takes no crap out there either(except when he gets sucker punched). Etherington is a nasty minded dude on the court. Mentally and Physically I think we can collectively fill in. 45's post scoring was exceptional lately. I think we can maybe crash the offensive glass with some of the Freshmen that will get more time though. Have to score in some different ways. Really like Barlow's offensive game lately. He is becoming "tough to guard."

9. Bulldawg

Bulldawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $590
    Tomorrow is a statement for this team...they need to make sure everyone knows no amount of adversity is going to keep them down.

10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,466
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,707
    I have no doubt it will be Etherington, which will be a mistake, but that's who it will be. I'd keep Martin at the 2 and just bump everyone else up. We've seen Jones guard every position on the court and be ok. He can easily play the four in spurts and then you have your five best players on the court. Plus, let's be honest, Martin doesn't give a dog's doodoo (I say that fondly). He's intimidated by no one, he's aggressive, and if he got this opportunity? He'd kick the crap out of it.

12. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,976

13. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Rich Nye ‏@TheSportsGuy13 21m21 minutes ago
    #Butler freshman F Tyler Wideman will counted on heavily during Andrew Chrabascz absence

14. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351

15. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Michael Pointer @michaelpointer · 44m 44 minutes ago
    Hope is to get him back in time for the Big East Tournament. In the meantime, Etherington and Wideman will get extended minutes.

16. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,976

17. novachap

novachap Active Member

Money:
    $204
    Heck of a game guys. Awesome atmosphere, was very worried Nova would get toasted. Thankfully Hilliard more than made up for Archie. Good luck rest of the way. I think we both can make a big splash in March.

18. Irishdawg

Money:
    $72
  19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,037
    Love your team, think they are third best in the country and are very under-the-radar. Hoping for a deep nova run.

20. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351